Michael Edwards

Guilty as charged.

2 Likes

Agree, but at least we know that Gordon will still have a role to play as per the FSG statement;

Edwards will report directly to FSG’s ownership group, led by Principal Owner John Henry, Chairman Tom Werner, and President Mike Gordon.

Gordon also says;

Fulfilling that role has been one of the greatest privileges of my life and handing it over and returning to a more traditional role in ownership is something I have been hoping to do for some time, but only if we could find the right individual or structure.

Seems they’ve found the right structure, which is important. And Gordon is pleased by the sounds of it.

4 Likes

The above pic could be doctored as I don’t think Virg would wear that colour jumper… :joy:

What’s this crap about overseeing another club. It’s fine for FSG to own clubs in other sports. But for me, going down the route of owning other football clubs doesn’t feel right, unless it’s outside of Europe. If it’s in Africa, Asia, South America, etc, then fine.

The Club World Cup is just a glorified Charity Shield (or whatver it’s called nowadays), so it doesn’t affect things for me. But having teams like Red Bull with multiple clubs playong in the CL does not feel right.

Seems to me they fiddle with paperwork to “prove” they are operated separately, but it’s alll bollocks, in much the same way as $hitty’s claims they are independent from Abu Dhabi.

1 Like

You can cheer up again now Alex :grin::yum:

2 Likes

It doesn’t sit right with me unless it is completely separated. In Germany, clubs are allowed to have a reserve team (e.g. Bayern München II) that play in regional leagues and no higher than the third tier (Bundesliga 3.) The idea that two Red Bull teams (for example) could meet in the European competitions is a complete nonsense.

I do like the idea of having other clubs in Africa, South America etc as it seems like a positive, mutually beneficial arrangement. I think the idea of having control over the club is that it gives us a similar platform over training rather than relying that Tranmere or Blackburn or whoever will treat players as we would want.

What concerns me (not so with us but the concept) is whether these clubs are used for money laundering purposes with the satellite clubs being used to provide silly fees for dud players. That could possibly be fixed by having a rule that no fee can be received for players transferring between clubs with a common owner.

6 Likes

Long time no see. Hope all has been well.

1 Like

FSG owning another club that plays entirely in different competitions, is in no way comparable to state-owned sports washing.

Loads of teams in most sports have feeder clubs. May as well own one of them

2 Likes

Ineos owns Nice. The new owners of Everton own multiple clubs. There’s nothing wrong with investing in a new club in Europe. The issue isn’t dodgy book-keeping. Everyone wants the share of the TV rights money. It’ll be a bonus if the club does become competitive w.r.t the players and start being self sufficient.

1 Like

Red bird capital which has a share in FSG own AC Milan.

So as you say, AC vs Lfc final would have have same ownership group…

Does seem weird. And wrong.

3 Likes

Just buy Barcelona for 2p spread over 2 years and watch the Spanish press go into meltdown.

Saying that Edwards walking through Barcelona airport would probably do that anyway

1 Like

Downside of ME… if Saudi come calling for MO in the summer for daft money, say £150m - Got a feeling it will be bye bye MO.!

Has anyone asked Mo? There seems to be this odd assumption that he is bursting to go there. They can offer as much as they want but if he wants to stay, and the fact that both his career and family are settled would indicate that he would, then he can stay.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised after seeing how such a roaring success its been in Saudi any player who still has inclination of still performing at the top level is thinking thanks but no thanks.

10 Likes

That is assuming Mo wants to leave.

Mo’s earning a good salary. He’s still good enough to play at the highest level and can go to the desert retirement league even after 3 more years if he wishes.

But if he does want to leave , 150m will be money very nicely invested by Edwards.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Liverpool was the club Mo supported as a child growing up. If that’s the case , he might well want to spend more time here.

3 Likes

Hopefully Mo Salah extends, even if it’s just a year more. He is still playing at the highest level and is currently our best source of goals. As he gets older his wider skill set comes to the fore, too. For example, what a ball for Diaz against Man City.

The Saudis have the money, so if he does want to go, that’s where we link him, as we imagine spending the dough. But the sporting prospect is not there, and it is some sort of MLS league, or worse, and Mo is much better than that at this stage.

Hopefully he stays and wins the CL and Prem with us next season under the new manager.

A year more is probably what the club wouldn’t mind at all, but it’s likely that Salah will want more.

1 Like

Klopp talking about ME at his PC atm.

1 Like

You are probably right. It’s a fine line. His level is so good we should want to extend. But his age is such that we won’t want to overdo it, especially if the likes of Edwards has form for not wanting to give older player lengthy contracts.

Two year extension it is then. Sign right here Mo.