Michael Edwards

https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1767903751736541444?s=19

Is it just me, or does Klopp sound like he doesn’t like Edwards all that much? Not that it matters, but anytime you get ‘professional basis’ caveat, I’ll work with him, but probably won’t be willing to go for a drink with him vibes.

2 Likes

He has probably said professional basis, as that’s where the rumours are I.e. two professionals, with different opinions over the value of older players and the contracts we should be giving them. Hence Klopp saying we had a great relationship on a professional basis.

The English is clunky though, and I agree when you say it the way Klopp did, it’s what you didn’t say that grows in prominence!

Hopefully this angle barely gets any oxygen, as Klopp is going and a new thing will emerge, but in the meantime, it’s all about Klopp and his team, and what we might yet achieve in the last part of the season.

5 Likes

Doesn’t really matter, as if they had good professional relationship, there’s nothing to see. Just thought it was curious

1 Like

People need not be best friends in order to have a very good professional relationship. Both Edwards and Klopp are professionals.

I’ve worked with people who I don’t get along personally with.

4 Likes

Think their jobs are two that constantly clash and both are figures who fight their corners.

Probably won’t be going for a drink with each other anytime soon but plenty of good working relationships who are not exactly mates.

1 Like

https://x.com/anfieldsector/status/1767903727644508309?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

1 Like

Yeah my take was he added that as an emphasis (in direct contradiction to the rumours, there was no problem with the working relationship) rather than caveat (he’s good at his job, but a fucking dick). If he said it as a caveat that’s a bit of a back handed compliment and Klopp just isn’t that sort of guy.

2 Likes

Many things are possible, this is only what Klopp comes out with, he doesn’t have to be honest even if something happened on a professional or personal basis.

Of course that it’s impossible that so many people at such a big club get along. As long as it’s professionally working and there’s personal respect, it’s all we need. Nothing less, nothing more.

1 Like

And there are always going to be clashes between the sporting director and the manager on the best way forward. It’s only natural. I’d rather have two people having those arguments than have someone who rolls over all the time for the other.

Remember Klopp wanted Brandt and Edwards insisted on Salah.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/live/bov2RNfQ94k?si=86luBrUhQrFL_Udu

Talks about ME after 0:30.

‘We always had a good relationship - on a professional basis anyway’

Nothing to read between the lines here imo.

3 Likes

Ignore the second part and focus on the first.

Really stop making stuff that isn’t there. Klopp is going anyhow, Edwards is coming back he brought a lot of success here, if he was showing up in Manchester or Newcastle we’d be crying.

3 Likes

Edwards could well have chosen to work for any club in England. The fact that he didn’t shows his commitment to Liverpool as a club.

It’s not about the money as there are clubs who can pay him on par with or more. His record in transfers speaks for itself.

The fact that the club has given him this role shows the faith they have in him.

1 Like

I think your overvalueing Barca by 2p

I did say we’d spread payment over 2 years… :wink:

People were crying because Man Utd are appointing a guy who signed Sandro Tonali for the same it cost us to sign Szoboszlai when he had every reason to know he was facing a lengthy ban for gambling. Imagine the reaction if they hired someone with an actually impressive resume!

There’s plenty wrong with it, and just because that ship has sailed doesn’t mean we should support that continued development.

1 Like

I think I’m ok with investing in a feeder club. Obviously assuming it is all ethical, and not some cooking the books exercise like Man City go in for.

It could be win-win. The other team might benefit from additional financial strength and stability behind it, better executive nous, better coaching and better players. Without knowing the structure of the deal, their fans might view it as a good arrangement.

On our end, presumably it gives a place for young talent to develop, especially if it is from places that are hard to make the leap directly to the Premier League.

I understand that it might be seen as predatory, but if we do it well, it could easily be win-win.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you look at Beale and Pep as talented people who left looking for opportunities that werent available for them within the club at the time and you see that under a certain multi club structure there could have been a way to let them expand while still under contract with us.

I get the concerns, but I think any sort of model we apply is going to look very different than one where City and Girona are “fighting” for which one of them get the CFG place in the CL next season.

2 Likes

Ask Strasbourg supporters how they feel about multi-club ownership, or Villarreal supporters; a club @Sithbare “wouldn’t mind purchasing”.

1 Like

I’m a little uncomfortable with it purely on the basis of it highlighting the direction the game as a whole is going. And wider too. Super rich hoovering up assets to strengthen their positions etc.

Do we ultimately end up with a pyramid derived by who owns clubs? Feels that way.

2 Likes