Michael Edwards

“This means more” kinda goes in the bin if we go down the multi-club model it seems.

But it does also make sense to some degree, like the RB model, where they have Salzburg remaining competitive in their league, and their better players get a move to Liepzig down the track.

I’m unsure how I feel about it all as yet.

A fair few of these multiple owned clubs don’t seem to cross over.

A lot aren’t feeder clubs are they? Some you get to learn by mistake. Red Bull way I’d be uneasy about but FSG owning more than one club doesn’t bother me.

None of the City ones seem particularly feeder, we just deem it to be the top of the hierarchy.

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1768196619327955407?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

1 Like

Yeah. From a business, brand building and growth perspective it all makes sense.

Like you I’m really unsure about it. I can just see me becoming increasingly disconnected from it all.

2 Likes

So now it seems that the team in the background is getting finalised, with Edwards and so it seems Hughes, regarding the next manager search, Alonso would be my first choice but if he decides to stay where he is or choose another destination my next choice would be Pep Linders, why? Who better is there to carry on this revolution that we have seen this season than somebody already in the camp, the club seems like night and day regarding where we was last season, this is a rebuild beyond my imagination, the club I feel is in such a healthy position and in my opinion Pep could still steer the ship playing the same style of football with the knowledge of who we have in the ranks (youth) it could be another passing of the torch similar to shankly over to Paisley.

1 Like

I hear you, and the suggestion might be tempting, but I think his name has already been ruled out. I love what I’m witnessing as much as any red, but I’m not sure about Pep Lijnders being a number 1 caliber person. He is excellent as Jurgen’s assistant manager, and is clearly a great student of the game. That seems to be his lane.

He did have a stint as a manager, but it was unsuccessful. That doesn’t mean he can’t try again, and do well at it, but I’d rather see some evidence of that before considering him for the top job at Liverpool.

5 Likes

Absolutely fucking not. Pep is a walking (bad) soundbite and there is no evidence (like Buvac before him) that he is actually crucial to our success; that he has what it takes to be manager at all; let alone be our manager.

1 Like

He’s not going to be our manager and rightly so, but there’s no reason to disrespect him. He may not be crucial, but who is, apart from JK?
He clearly plays a very important role behind the scenes and, as such, is part of our success. That should earn him our respect and gratitude, not scorn.

10 Likes

Kind of interesting that, much like with our player search, we didn’t settle for a lesser option. Could have moved on and tried to get Paul Mitchell or someone like that but instead persistently went after Edwards and sought short term stop gaps until we got him.

9 Likes

Did it with Klopp in a way. I wonder if they’ve learnt from earlier mistakes

1 Like

Better to wait for the right option than get tied into a long term deal for someone you don’t really want. Even if that means some short term pain while you wait.

Basically the opposite to the Chelsea approach of signing any random player they see and giving them 8 year deals.

9 Likes

Don’t rate him at all. Call that whatever you want

Your opinion, that Lijnders should not be considered for the top spot, is bang on the money.

But it’s better to be charitable to our own in how we say it.

Peace.

1 Like

Based on what?

Klopp clearly rates him, but you don’t. What possible inside knowledge do you, in Australia, have that gives you more insight than one of the greatest trainers of all time, who works alongside Ljinders every day?

1 Like

Didn’t realise Klopp rated him for manager? That’s the discussion; Pep may be great with the water bottles and cones but he’s not manager material (according to anyone who matters; our Antipodean friends excluded). Hope you’re not having a shitty sednay day?

Hug it out!

Pep won’t be manager. But he does well for us in his current role.

Peace!

Read my previous post ffs!

I said he’s not going to be manager and rightly so.

That doesn’t mean he’s doing a bad job or deserves to be slagged off.
He deserves respect for his role in our current success. That doesn’t mean he should be our manager.

1 Like

I’ll hug it out once Craig promises to get back to working on that new boot :wink:

Klopp on Ljinders:
“The impact the boys had over the years, and especially the impact Pep had in the last few years on the football we play, is second to none and it’s absolutely incredible.

“I know that I have to be very thankful and grateful to him. And I am, I am, because he gave me a new vision and helped me develop over the last years.

Moving cones….

3 Likes

He wrote a book and we fell off a cliff.

Problem is if you read the book all I got from it was he likes to do “redondos”.

It was actually very bland, comes across as a very good coach but whether he can take that step the jury is out.

Failure can sometimes help a guy and at the point he left he hadn’t really experienced that, even in our poor season we rescued it. Some of Fergies coaches that rejuvenated him didn’t really do much.

It’s like Southgate, he suits national management and some managers do, his club record is awful.

2 Likes