Michael Edwards

So this bloke called Lewis Caine, who posts on here every seven months or so, pops up with the ludicrous idea that PL is Bob Paisley reincarnated.
No serious LFC fan wants him to be JK’s successor. No one.
However, that doesn’t mean that we should denigrate his work as a coach which is part of why we are in the middle of a fantastic season.
All of this “discussion” belongs in another thread by the way.

3 Likes

Of course Edwards and LFC might yet go for the FSG stance on Edwards himself… They let him cut ties, let him do his own thing, but now, when it that it matters to them… they moved into the arena and won him back, to bring him home…
Is it a precedent they would use on Jurgen himself… If Alonso is not first choice, would an interim for a year or two suffice, until they pursue Jurgen again…!

1 Like

I think you underestimate Jürgen’s resolve.

1 Like

Ha, 7 months has it been that long! not posted for a while as had a lot going on in my personal life, I was not trying to say Pep is Paisley reincarnated :rofl:, just thought it may be something to consider as it could give continuity, seeing how well the club is looking this season with the young lads and Pep already having the knowledge of the club and academy players etc it might be an option if all else fails (not getting Alonso), if the players like and respect him that also works in his favour,
I also like the brand of football we are playing which would continue under him, I know he had a stint as manager before and it failed but he is further down the line now and had some good years/experience under his belt working under Klopp, just because you failed once doesn’t necessarily mean you will fail again to the contrary it makes you more determined to succeed and learn from your failings.

1 Like

I agree totally.
I have a feeling that alonso might fancy 1 more season where he is and not be the one that follows klopp .
So give to pep - if it works great if it doesnt think it would be easier to get alonso to follow him rather than jurgen.
Also gives the young lads an extra season to develope under some one that knows them.

I don’t really see what Alonso gains from a second season at Leverkusen. If he wins the league he’s already achieved everything that’s realitically possible.

13 Likes

Guys, let me introduce you to @PaulRoJo

Maybe Alonso would prefer to stay at Leverkusen as he feels the set up is more suited to him?

Perhaps he may not appreciate Micheal Edwards and his new role/ or he finds the set up he currently has less stressful ( and that’s without the British press hounding him like they have jurgen over the years)

1 Like

Winning the league with Leverkusen would be historic enough, moreso going the season unbeaten.

But imagine if he could not only keep that squad together, but add to it and go on to win back to back titles. Shuts anyone up who says “Ah well that was just 1 season where Bayern and Dortmund let their tails slip”

The last team to beat Munich in the league back to back was Dortmund in 2011 and 2012. The team before that was again Dortmund but going back to 1995 and 1996.

I think that would be a pretty strong motivation for him to stay there another season.

Keeping the Bayer squad together and adding to it? Having a tilt at the CL? Seeing how far he can take the club? These are excellent reasons to stay. I hope he agrees to join us but I would equally understand if he decides to stay put.

Yep, just to clarify, definitely don’t want Pep as manager. He already has done enough with his book and (bad) soundbites. But if the new manager wants helps with the cones and drills then… I’m guessing he’ll prefer to bring in someone else too. :wink:

They are reasons to stay but for an ambitious manager who has options at possibly Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid then seeing if he can get Leverkusen through a CL group stage seems small potatoes.

If he decides to stay then good luck to him but the long term result of staying at Leverkusen is eventually having a poorer season and possibly losing his chance at bigger jobs. If he finishes 4th next season and loses in the CL round of 16 suddenly those big job chances will disappear.

4 Likes

Take it up with James and Lewis.

I’ve had my say.

1 Like

Breaking Bayern’s stranglehold on the BL is an achievement that will make him coveted for the rest of his career unless he spectacularly fucks up subsequently.

2 Likes

Nah, wouldn’t say so.

Let’s first see what they achieve this season, but even if next season is worse, if the football is more or less still there and they’re still competitive in CL positions, I don’t see why clubs would massively turn their heads.

The ratio managers are being spent, I’d expect Xabi to be still wanted. It goes against the principle of wanting him because of his work so far in the first place.

Thanks @bekloppt!

I think timing is crucial. If Xabi wins the Bundesliga this year with Leverkusen, as looks likely, his appeal is through the roof and he will have his choice of top jobs.

If he stays at Leverkusen another season, chances are Bayern Munich will regroup to claim what they see as their own personal trophy in the Bundesliga. At best, Alonso repeats a league win and his star grows even more, but I wouldn’t bet on that. He also takes Leverkusen into the Champions League, which might be desirable, but it’s hard to see them going far in the knockout stages. It just feels like he will sign up for diminishing returns, if he stays on at Leverkusen.

The other part of the staying on scenario is to ask what jobs are available next summer? There will still be openings, but not as many as this summer. A convergence of circumstances means quite a few plum jobs are opening up right now.

Taking that thought further, if Alonso has any ambition to manage Liverpool - and he has said he does, then he has to think about the timing there, too. The Liverpool job doesn’t come around very often.

Only Xabi Alonso knows what he wants to do, but I see the stars aligning for him to come to Liverpool, and it’s why he’s the clear favorite.

8 Likes

Exactamundo

The odds against Alonso having success this season was high.
The odds against a repeat, as Bayern strenghten is going to be massive.

His best scenario is to win the BL and leave. Its extremely unlikely he will repeat this season again in Germany.

Edit:
To keep on topic…
Michael Edwards is not related to Jedward.

1 Like