Mohamed SALAH: 2020/21

Best player on the pitch today imo.
Firmino was good too.

3 Likes

We need him to have one of those matches on Wednesday where he really bosses the game.

Scores a lot of goals but there arenā€™t many matches (not lately anyway) where I come away thinking ā€œSalah was Untouchable todayā€

1 Like

Man of the match for me.

3 Likes

Hyperbole if not outright bullshit. If heā€™s actually concerned with his contract, why not contact the club directly instead of making vague innuendos via interviews in Spanish outlets?

Theyā€™ve just pretty much stolen the Athletic article which has a lot of detail around this;

Primarily itā€™s a bit of an impass between what we are prepared to offer him vā€™s what he wants.

1 Like

Itā€™s one of those weird situations where the club donā€™t want him to leave but at the same time they canā€™t afford to ignore any really good offers for him. Equally, Salah might prefer to see his deal out and leave as a free agent but then heā€™d be turning down improved wages in the interim with no guarantee heā€™ll get a similarly good move in his early 30s.

Personally, I think heā€™ll probably leave this summer if a club offer a half decent amount (>Ā£85m).

2 Likes
2 Likes

My take on Mo is the following: every good team needs a spine. We have Alli in goal, VVD in central defence, Hendo in midfield. Thatā€™s the spine from defence to midfield. Beyond that, Iā€™d have written one year ago that Bobby prolongs our spine in the forward position. Iā€™d have said that with an in-form Bobby, we could interchange Mo and ManĆ© with other fast, versatile attackers, with the same result. We were in a great position.

But right now, Bobbyā€™s form has fallen off a cliff, and boy, have we suffered because of thisā€¦ I think his slump is as much an explanation for our woes this season than VVDā€™s absence. ManĆ© isnā€™t half as dangerous as he was when Bobby was at the top of his skills.

Mo on the other hand continues to be dangerous. He canā€™t make everything, but in my book, throughout this difficult season, he has truly demonstrated his world-class status. To reach his figures (28 goals in all competitions and running) with a leaky defence, a mostly out-of form Trent and a stuttering midfield behind him, and also ghost-like partners in attack compared to their usual levels, is a genuinely fantastic achievement.

Bottom-line: I underestimated Mo until now. He isnā€™t that easily replaceable, and thus, must be kept at all costs. His consistency in front of goal, no matter what, is irreplaceable.

3 Likes

Question is is it all about money or are there other things?

1. length of an extension

2. captaincy when Gini leave and Milner after next season

3. (my guess) maybe he wants to play as a CF in the future.

Nah, he already talked about that position and that he prefers playing where he usually plays, not up top. Plus, I donā€™t think Klopp sees him there long term. Itā€™s only his alternative position here and there when we need him to do it. Captaincy should also be low on the list, I donā€™t think thatā€™s an important factor. But wages, length of contract (in coleration to what we do with other players of his/similar age), various bonuses or clauses is for sure, yeah. We have an interersting year ahead of us with a lot of these decisions to make over players with contracts until 2023.

1 Like

What a moment that was! I never tire of watching that goal.

2 Likes

Anyone suggesting he should go hasnā€™t been paying attention.

Weā€™ve got a few world class players and a few more top top class players who can perform at world class levels if the system hits right.

Unfortunately this season had shown that if the system doesnā€™t hit right more players than we thought fit that second category.

There are much easier to sacrifice players than Salah IF we do need to let anyone go.

Whilst Salah is here and performing as he is (whilst we are struggling as a team and therefore keeping our chances afloat) we do all we can to keep him.

Good article for context;

8 Likes

And just think how many more goals Mo would have had had he been our regular penalty takerā€¦ and we had been awarded penalties as soft as most of Spursā€™ ones.

5 Likes

Or if people ignored his 13 games at Chelsea with 2 goals and just looked at his record with us.

I think we can replace Salahā€™s goals, but we got to spend rather big in order to do so. We have survived losing Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres and more recently, Suarez and Sturridge. Perhaps we have already found our next goal scorer in Jota.

Hypothetically, if we replace Salah with a Mane equivalent electric winger and get an excellent midfielder to take over Gini, I say it would be as good an outcome.

Youā€™re talking about someone with a better record than Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez and Sturridge (not to mention ā€œsurvivedā€ is debatable as some of those really hurt us). Itā€™d be fantastic if Jota can have the kind of seasons with us that Salah is having but why would we let our best player (historically in some ways as well as currently) leave? I would let Mane and Firmino leave over letting Salah go.

3 Likes

Of course, in an ideal situation, I would not want Salah to leave now. He is in his prime years and can contribute greatly to our quest for success.

However, Salah will not remain here forever. We do have to plan for life without him sooner or later. All I am saying is that, if Salah does decide to leave sooner rather than later, we should see it as an opportunity to refresh our squad to be even better. It is also not the end of the world should he decide to leave, because there are options out there. We would have to depend on the scouting team believes to pick the best option and be ready to fork out a tidy sum.

There are 2 players in the world that could come in and replicate his goals from day 1.

Mbappe and Haaland. Haaland wants Ā£600k per week, with a total investment over the 5 years of Ā£400milā€¦ Iā€™d expect Mbappe to be similar. There is no way we could afford either in my opinion, even if Salah left.

1 Like

Salah may leave, but thereā€™s absolutely no traction to the lazy rumors. The basis of all these click-bait stories are; we are struggling but Salah is doing great, so he is bound to leave.

Salah has been impressive, phenomenal even. It isnā€™t even four full seasons with us and the stats are off the chart. He isnā€™t just our best chance to score a goal. He has been almost omnipresent, which means he is always there to provide that cutting-edge.

195 games, thatā€™s nearly 50 games each season.
16,000 minutes, thatā€™s over 4,000 mins each season.
122 goals, thatā€™s over 30 goals each season.

We have got a guy whoā€™s almost certain to be there and almost certain to get a goal. You canā€™t much better than this.

2 Likes

Haaland MAY replace Salahs goals but I wouldnā€™t guarantee it. Heā€™s doing amazing but Havertz and Werner are showing this season that all that glitters in the Bundesliga doesnā€™t find it a stroll in the park in the Premier League. But even if he got those kind of goals he wouldnā€™t replace Salahs chance creation and assists.

Mbappe is the only player (not at the very end of his career) who stands a chance of replicating Salahs goals and his assists however, if we could land Mbappe why wouldnā€™t we partner him up with Salah, one comes from the left the other from the right. In the market we are in we probably wouldnā€™t be able to get much more for Salah than we could get for Mane if we were open to offers. Both would put us almost as close to bringing in Mbappe as each other.

And at least Salah is putting out noise he wants to stay, his concerns seem to be are the club open to selling him, heā€™s talking up his desire to extend his deal and stay longer. Almost radio silence from Mane and Firmino who are in the same situations with their deals.