Mohamed SALAH: 2020/21

I do generally believe in the “when there’s smoke, there’s fire” philosophy when it comes to transfer rumors. But it depends on the amount of smoke. This isn’t just some random Twitter journo or some crap publication suggesting that this is possible. This is Mo intentionally accepting interview requests in which he discusses the possibility of leaving Liverpool without then also expressly saying that he wants to stay.

It’s one thing for him to say “I don’t know what the future holds, but I am happy to be at Liverpool and want to stay for years to come.”

It’s another thing to say “right now I can say that everything is in the club’s hands.” What does that even mean? Of course Liverpool controls your fate while you’re under contract, but please don’t try to sound so much like you’re being held hostage. Twice. Within a few month span.

Is this just about wanting to secure better contract terms? Maybe. That’s the best case scenario. But I really think he wants to go to Barca or RM. Which isn’t surprising - they have massive fanbases in the Middle East.

Whether they’ll actually pay what’s needed to get him is another story. Both clubs want Mbappé and Haaland and would buy them before buying Salah.

And we might want to sell Mo to fund an Mbappé or a Haaland buy of our own.

I’m not even mad at Mo. I just want him to handle himself professionally while he is here. As long as he plays for Liverpool, I’ll root for him to play well.

1 Like

Except he does expressly say he wants to stay. The answer to Real Madrid and Barca question was a “one day” style answer. As in “one day I may end up there I suppose yeah”! They really should print the questions to these interviews. Football interviews work so different than any other type it’s weird.

I am chilled about this.

Salah is one of the worlds best strikers and it would be a shame to lose him but at the same time the transfer fee that he would command will open the door to Mbappe and Halaand type of funds… who are probably as good and a lot younger.

1 Like

@AnfieldRdDreamer nothing negative from my side towards Mo tonight.

You’ve often posted that if we play 4-2-3-1 Mo would/should be the most likeliest to play upfront and on TIA you posted that he should not play RM.

Tonight he wasn’t able to score until we made that change and he played RM.

What do you make of this? Would he be ‘wasted’ there because he would have to work more / would be more involved defensively.

The point I am trying to make is that if we really sign another ‘quality’ attacker we will play with 4 attackers even more often and I wonder what that would mean for Mo position wise.

1 Like

It’s different because we established ourselves well in the game, we took the risk. Long term though, I have doubts if we can retain our balance with him starting as a proper right winger in a 4-2-3-1. When I take all I see into account, I don’t think so. I think he’s best in that very offensive right sided wide forward/goalscorer role. Great finish, by the way.

3 Likes

Salah now has the second most minutes behind Robertson.

2017/18: 4119 mins
2018/19: 4342 mins
2019/20: 4091 mins
2020/21: 3352 mins*

His durability has been as important as his lethality.

2 Likes

If you’ve got one of the highest goal scorers the league has seen any movement of him further away from goal is a mistake. I wouldn’t even say he actually moved all that far away from goal last night anyway whatever the formation on paper was. He was pushed high and close to goal as we dominated possession. But even if it was. He’s a quality player he would still chip in with goal contributions from somewhere no matter what. But we are talking one of the what(?) top 5 in PL era for goals scored in their first 150 PL games? That includes his anonymous time at Chelsea. I still think a formation that gets a LF and a RF would be best. Such as a diamond or a 4222.

1 Like

The fact 13 appearances were at Chelsea with only 2 goals putting him at 91 in 137 for us, 34 assists too. He might win his 3rd out 4 golden boots this year too!

1 Like

Dear! God!

1 Like

This is deceptive on two counts;

Shearer had played 118 times in the Top division before the name change for only 23 goals, his tally shouldn’t read anywhere near that high. It was the same competition regardless of the name change. Salahs figures don’t look as good as they should due to the 13 games with only 2 goals at Chelsea, he could be around where Aguero is otherwise.

2 Likes

You fool. Football didn’t exist before the Premier League.

10 Likes

There, all good now.

2 Likes

Fixed for accuracy

2 Likes

I haven’t a clue what anyone is going on about in here.

Only 2 points worth discussing after the Arse game.
Did Salah deliberately thread the ball through the goalkeepers legs like that? WICKED!
Why did he try blasting it through the goalkeepers head in the one on one? REALLY! :rofl:

1 Like

As always it seems I once again find myself sitting here wondering where we would be without him!

4 Likes

near the bottom!

2 Likes

Almost certainly wouldn’t be this far in CL so far this year. He’s scored or assisted 7 of our 15 goals. Jota is responsible for another 5. Get them two up top as a partnership, 442 in a diamond or 4222 with two attacking mid types or even 352 I don’t care how.

1 Like

Selling him next year would be the biggest mistake we could make, regardless of who we buy. Mo and Jota have been by far the best forwards, while Origi, Firmino, Mane, Shaq, Taki have been terrible. It’s almost like the universe is telling us that 4 3 3 is no longer a viable option.

2 Likes

Better all round performance, though should’ve done better with the chance. No need to rush there, that’s exactly where forwards of that class have the calmness to go round the keeper. Why rush it with the outside of the foot, there was not much room and that goes away from the goal. Apart from that, liked his movement, popped up in different areas, agility and faster release of the ball.

He has been very electric tonight.

2 Likes