Mohamed SALAH: 2020/21

I’d hazard a guess that he probably spurned a similar amount even that season. One of the realities is that even on top form our front three were profligate and often took the wrong options. We just maintained so much pressure on the opposition goal that the chances just kept coming and coming.

7 Likes

Yep, or we scored from a set piece.

Ironically it was Mane last season who stepped up with most of the “winning” goals, not Salah.

Salah though is up there with the best 24% conversion chance (probably skewed by penalties), which is 1 in 4.

It used to feel like missing good chances was not a let off for the other team, but just part of the process of putting our foot on their throat and applying more pressure. We were so solid at the back and had so many ways of scoring that it just never felt like a big deal. These days, it feels different, more evident and important, because we’re different.

4 Likes

Aye, it was this relentless sort of hypnotic metronome… We just kept shifting it side to side, probing, getting chances, missing, regaining posession, repeat… Over and Over. Eventually they broke.

Now we lose the ball and they are basically in on goal!!

3 Likes

Premiership Big Chance Conversion (Chances / Conversion)

Harry Kane 25 60%
Alexander Lacazette 21 57.10%
Son Heung-Min 22 54.50%
Mohamed Salah 28 46.40%
Dominic Calvert-Lewin 27 44.40%
Jamie Vardy 30 43.30%
Ollie Watkins 21 42.90%
Sadio Mane 23 30.40%
Chris Wood 22 27.20%
Patrick Bamford 28 25%
Timo Werner 22 22.70%

Champions League big chance conversion (Chances / Conversion)

Lionel Messi 5 80.0%
Erling Haaland 12 75.0%
Robert Lewandowski 7 71.4%
Alvaro Morata 8 62.5%
Kylian Mbappe 13 54.0%
Alassane Plea 6 50.0%
Cristiano Ronaldo 6 50.0%
Karim Benzema 11 45.5%
Mohamed Salah 11 45.5%
Neymar 9 44.4%
Timo Werner 7 42.9%
Antoine Griezmann 5 40%
Diogo Jota 8 37.5%
Moussa Marega 6 33.3%
Duvan Zapata 10 30%

So despite Salah appearing to miss too many chances he is actually delivering at elite levels.

2 Likes

These statistics are poop. I remember Coutinho and his equivalent stats just didn’t bear out the reality. It all comes down to what is considered a chance and of 10 shots only 3 were considered chances?
I feel what’s fallen in Salah’s game is his dribbling he used to be amazing my estimate was 1 in 3 dribbles being successful beating not just 1 defender but often up to 4 with a shot at the end. His problem now is imo starting the dribble, they mark him closely and provoke the physical duel that Salah falls into soo easily (he just backs in every time). If he attacked the ball more he would create more space for himself and actually have a chance of dribbling as he did before.
I just can not help thinking that the coacing priorities for each player have been detrimental (i.e they are not being incouraged to do things that would actually cause chances to become goals).

1 Like

If it’s not posted or referenced on here I miss it!

1 Like
9 Likes

One of the most humble of football players and a great humanitarian. One of the best in the world currently and one of the best this club and the Premier League has seen. Underappreciated but will be in all the record books and impossible to forget.

6 Likes

We have to seriously consider a replacement/substitute for Salah for next season.

Olympics July-August 2021: Based on the group composition, Argentina, Australia, Egypt, and Spain; he may not have a prolonged involvement, but it will still keep him till July 28.

World Cup Qualifications September-November 2021: Six group games involving Angola, Gabon, and Libya. Schedule for the third/final round of games to be decided.

2021 FIFA Arab Cup November-December: Egypt will most definitely progress to the QF which are scheduled for December 10.

The only silver lining is that, he will have rest for 4-5 weeks after this season ends.

Excellent post. Everything you said are reasons why we should not sell. Just for a change let’s keep our best player.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Good assist for the Mane goal last night, but he should have buried at least one of the chances he got.

3 Likes

PR Offensive! Better than a cake eh Yaya!!

2 Likes

Imagine if they liked each other! :rofl:

1 Like

I see a lot of twitter tears over Salah being omitted over Son in Carras PL team of the year. Maybe Sons final tears swung it.

Carragher is a knob, would rather suck off Neville and Sky than be rational.

4 Likes

Yes, well, what do you expect when the narrative is that Salah “misses a lot of chances”? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Compared to Son, he has.

From open play in the league - Son 16 goals, 64 shots, 10 big chances missed.

Salah - 13 goals, 100 shots, 15 big chances missed.

Son’s had a good year, it’s not an egregious comment to say he’s been better than Salah.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s egregious at all, I just think that Salah is under a higher level of scrutiny / criticism than someone like Son.

1 Like