Mohamed SALAH: 2021/22

I disagree, as seen by them giving Milner and Henderson contracts into their 30s.

Mo is like Ronaldo/Messi in the sense he will play (with minimal regression) well into his 30s.

1 Like

FSG will be tempted to cash in and rebuild the front line. The problem is who are you going to replace him with who is as good and wonā€™t want at least the same or similar wage. I am really hoping we can sort something out because he is in the form of his life right now. He never gets injured and he will be at the top of the world game for at least another 4 years. Without him yesterday that was a routine win for City.

2 Likes

wellā€¦next times come around the cornerā€¦shall we continue to discuss his championship level passing abilityā€¦

5 Likes

There is that young kid in France or another young kid in Germany who both are a bit ok at this footballing malarky :wink:

I think he will sign an extension till 2025 and will leave in the summer of 2023.

1 Like

This is where I think we end up - new contract, to secure a value, and heā€™s sold (willingly) in a couple of years for a nice fee (Coutinho-esque), giving us a nice wad to work from - ideally after he plays his part in winning some more shiny things.

1 Like

Nine goals and three assists in 781 mins, one goal contribution in every 65 mins.

One
Season
Wonder

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

9 is a lot less than 32, heā€™s clearly not nearly as good this year as he was that one seasonā€¦

Did I mention I worked 7 years as a data analyst doing statistical and predictive performance modeling for a company?

1 Like

Iā€™ve always said that the greatest player I have seen play for Liverpool is Luis Suarez.

But there has been a niggling feeling growing in my brain that this might not be true anymore. And I think Sunday might have confirmed it.

2 Likes

For me, no one comes even close to Stevie but in terms of natural ability and making the most out of every last drop of it, Suarez is undoubtedly the best. In terms of numbers, I think itā€™s Salah, though, and heā€™s not even a player who boosts his numbers by scoring goals against already beaten opposition. Heā€™s also scored against all of Man United, Everton, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, heā€™s scored in a CL finalā€¦ Thereā€™s not much else he can do to prove himself.

I think Carra said the other day that Salah probably wasnā€™t visibly appreciated as much as he deserved because Liverpool fans finally have a deep pool to pick from (honestly, I personally donā€™t have a favourite player in this squad, I love each and every one of them to bits), while Suarez was the standout in a mostly mediocre side. I hope he can continue in this vein of form as long as possible and that he extends his contract as soon as possible.

These lads kill me sometimes but I never criticise them because that hurts me personally for some reason but because I want Klopp and all of them to win as many trophies with Liverpool as possible. They should have walked the league last season but it wasnā€™t to be. I hope this season will be different even if Iā€™m not expecting it because of combination of injuries and financial behemoths they are trying to fight off. If they manage to win something this season, Salah will definitely be at the centre of it.

6 Likes

Yeah, in my following itā€™s still Stevie first and Suarez second. I donā€™t think Salah will overtake Suarez, regardless if he remains here quite longer than Luis. Suarez is the better player. Salahā€™s been a great goalscorer for us, will possibly go down as one of our most effective ones, especially in modern times. We donā€™t have to compare all the time. I actually think Salah gets enough love for what he did or still does.

3 Likes

Oh Iā€™ll take Salah over Suarez hands down

4 Likes

He really isnā€™t, this season Salah has gone past Suarez for me.

3 Likes

Itā€™s okay, just opinions. :slight_smile:

Salah reminds me of Suarez in 13/14. Suarez was a very good player before then but he went to a different level that season. A level Iā€™ve never seen any Liverpool player go to before or since. Mo is getting close now and thereā€™s more to come. More than anything else itā€™s his form which is giving me hope this season. Some times all you need to win a title is for one world class striker to have the season of their lives. Almost happened with Suarez. Hopefully it will do with Mo.

2 Likes

Mo Salah gets my vote over Suarez!
Mo has been a model professional (so far) and a truly brilliant player whoā€™s done the business for us consistently every season since heā€™s joined us both in the Premier league and in the champions League ( will never forget his performance against Roma)

Suarez was totally fucking amazing for us in the 13/14 season (no European football) in a poorer team, I totally get that.
I can forgive but will never forget all his antics though, including trying to force a move to Arsenal, submitting a transfer request and threatening legal action FFS, then backing down once heā€™d got his new contract that included a watertight release clause.
Not to mention all the other disciplinary issues, the biting incidents etc., ironically these disciplinary issues seemed to no longer be a problem for him once heā€™d secured his move away from Liverpool!

1 Like

Funny I said the same thing to a pal yesterday. Think Suarez might still edge it for raw ability and spectacular momentsā€¦though Mo is racking up a few of those too, and also has PL and CL medals in the bag.

One way of looking at it is that Suarez has a few challengers for the CF spot in our all time 11, whereas thereā€™s no debate that Mo gets the RW spot

Donā€™t think so.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true but I think it highlights some other problems that ran deep in Liverpool FC for almost thirty years - when you pick the strongest side of those years, the only wing player that comes even remotely close to Salah and Mane is McManaman. Even those teams that couldnā€™t win the league had Rush, Owen, Fowler, Torres, Sturridge and Suarez as their strikersā€¦ I still donā€™t know what was going on with those wing positions, was it really that difficult to find even a semi-reliable player for the best part of those three decades?