Mohamed SALAH: 2021/22

Maybe they are waiting til the day the next transfer window ends :rofl:

Thatā€™s one of the best ones Iā€™ve seen, uncanny.

I have no doubt Salah himself wants to stay. But whether the agents will be telling the club, yes Salah will stayā€¦but for 500K because thats what PSG and Real will pay. Then unfortunately I think we will and we should walk away. Paying anyone that amount is not sustainable, I think 300K and thereabouts would be a fair salary to pay for a club that is trying to be financially responsible and not back by irresponsible spending. And it will not just Salah, once barriers are broken, every player and their agents will want to push it.

3 Likes

Real canā€™t afford both Salah and MbappĆ©- itā€™ll be one or the other and that means them getting the Frenchman.

The only teams that can afford Salah are the Manchester clubs, Chelsea, PSG, Bayern and now Newcastle. The last-named is obviously a non-starter and I canā€™t see Mo going to one of our big domestic rivals, so that leaves Bayern and PSG.

The German club are renowned cheapskates, despite their financial clout, and would almost certainly prefer to sign a hot prospect from one of their Bundesliga rivals on a freebie, so ultimately itā€™s either Mo stays with us or joins PSG.

2 Likes

I really wish he hadnā€™t agreed to that interview or if so that he had completely deflected that question. Presumably, his agent wanted him to do it and in my opinion Mo is best served by his own performances on the pitch.
Having said all that his answer carried a positive message.

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/SNnmxOT7a5Y

1 Like

Sign him up boys and keep winning trophies.

2 Likes

No one noticed how the wage demands keep rising? Was Ā£300k + originally, then parity with De Bruyne i.e. Ā£375k, now reports today he wants over Ā£400kā€¦

And yet FSG will still get shit for ā€œnot bowingā€ to the demands.

Salah can do all the interviews he wants saying itā€™s in the clubs hands, more like itā€™s in that rat agents hands more like. Proper bottom feeder.

There is easily an arguement to be had the more he demands the less chance he has, if Haaland wants Ā£500k a week and is 8 years youngerā€¦ The arguement becomes weaker and weaker not to cash in and get a younger player. Not that itā€™s what I want btw.

I suppose if he avoided answering the question then there would be increased speculation from media and some supporters questioning his desire to stay.

Keeping a team together costs money of course.

Our top earner may not have as much as at many other top clubs (yet, maybe Salah now goes up more than the rest of our squad), but our total wage bill is one of the highest in the world.

*PSG missing of course.

The fact is Salah only earns that salary at two clubsā€¦ Real and PSG, and if Mbappe goes to Real the options are down to one.

Ā£400k a week basic (which is the sticking point) is close to double that of every other player. We are right to get the basic down.

Thatā€™s the key, we do pay big wages but our basic salaries are much less than competitors. Itā€™s enabled us to compete and retain based on success and not go down the Barca route.

2 Likes

I recall Gini Wijnaldum saying something very similar. i.e. ā€™ I want to stay but itā€™s not upto me.ā€™ And we all know how that ended.

But ā€¦ (assuming Madrid get MbappĆ©) does Mo really want to end up at Paris , playing in a nothing league in front of half-empty stadiums each week ?

If heā€™s to be taken at his word then surely he has to be realistic about the kind of wages FSG are able to countenance without putting the clubā€™s entire future in jeopardy.

4 Likes

I accept that actually. Next time Mo can refer to this previous answer and otherwise keep stumm.

1 Like

If Moā€™s basic goes to Ā£450k or above you can say goodbye to pre-2023 renewals of two-three current Ā£ 100k + earners (Naby, Sadio, Bobby).
Iā€™m definitely not in the blank cheque faction.

2 Likes

Find it quite surprising that we are so high up that list, certainly goes against the narrative that we donā€™t pay the wages that other big clubs are willing to offer.

2 Likes

Mo and his agent have just fired the first salvo in the contract negotiation process. He answered the question because he wanted to and has now put the ball firmly in FSGā€™s court.

2 Likes

Our wages are heavily bonus orientated. The first one is after the CL win, the second after the PL win. On top of that goal bonuses/clean sheet bonuses etc. will be added to it. Also a fair few players have been tied down to longer contracts.

In other words, when we have a good season our wages will be high; when we have a poor one our wages will be low (relative to the biggest clubs). Based on the start of this season our wages by 2022 will be high again.

1 Like

The narrative is too often that we are generally poor. There are certainly clubs spending more and much more (and also have more of a pull than us), but weā€™re not poor. It takes money also to keep a successful team together.

Our net spend is different of course, we know the way weā€™re working under these owners most of the time.

I also donā€™t think weā€™re the only club structuring our contracts.

1 Like

Yeah , but is it being used as leverage to extract an astronomical wage from FSG , or does it show a willingness to compromise and negotiate a realistic amount ?

Probably, I just hope Salah isnā€™t influenced too much by his agent and a sensible compromise can be reached.

2 Likes