Mohamed SALAH: 2022/23

Scored twice in the friendly against Niger.

5 Likes

Mo will be coming home earlier than expected. He’s been released from the squad ahead of Egypt’s friendly against Liberia.

5 Likes

As long as it’s not fitness related I’m fine with them returning early.

Captained him in FF this week… sorry Mo.

Egyptian FA put out a tweet

Translated, it reads;

The technical staff of the Egyptian national football team, led by Roy Vitoria, preferred to rest the duo Mohamed Salah and Mustafa Mohamed in the Liberia friendly match scheduled for September 27, after the participation of Salah and Mustafa in the last friendly in Niger.

Maybe, for once, a national team is taking care of one of their players - surprising given Mo’s not going to the WC.

3 Likes

Not enough fiber in his diet?

due to new tax cuts Mo get an extra £1.3m extra in his back pocket over the course of a season.

Do we have a Sanchez/Özil situation here? Signing the record deal as the beginning of the end?

Not ruling it out but hope not.

I am very disappointed with him so far this season.

Being invisible and still managing to score a few was one of his main strengths in his time here. This season he is just invisible.

Whilst he is frustrating with a few poor touches he looks to be being asked to become some sort of right midfielder role tasked with defending for Trent and creating for others. I’m sure when Nunez is fully firing it might work but when he’s not fucking playing stop asking Mo to do the same, he is miles away from Bobby… When they finally got close to eachother we scored.

It’s just another example of whatever “new” system we are trying to implement failing horribly.

He is a 20+ goals a season forward, get him in the fucking box and put a fullback behind him who will be happy actually defending the right side and providing chances for him.

2 Likes

While the system aspect may be true for the dip in our overall performance, that isn’t impacting Salah to do what he was good at, taking on players, beating them and creating something. Diaz on the other side look more dangerous, more in control with the ball than Salah. I doubt Salah, when on the ball, thinks if he loses it there is no one to defend behind resulting him in taking less risks. It may be both, but there is a loss of touch and sharpness by looks of it notwithstanding the team or tactical issue with him.

1 Like

Well no because Ozil went hiding most his Arsenal career except 1 season & Sanchez never signed that record deal in the first place…he left on a free?

But he’s been asked to do it from the wrong place, Salah was world class at making runs in between the fullback and central defender, going into the space created because Firmino had pulled deeper.

Salah whilst he’s got good technical ability he has never been a world class dribbling winger. He’s a wide forward getting into the box and taking lots of shots.

Mane was the one tasks with taking on his fullback over and over, something Diaz continues to do.

We are not playing to Salah’s strengths.

This highlights exactly the problem…

He’s not a bloody creator, get him scoring bloody goals again.

2 Likes

That he has that many key passes, and had the most assists in the league last season likely suggests that you’re once again wrong. Not that you’re capable of the humility of recognising that.

It’s quite possible that since our central attacker seems to be transitioning in style away from Firmino’s deeper play, to Mané, Jota, and Núñez’s more direct play, how we position Salah to take advantage of that changes.

I think it’s quite clear from Jürgen’s interviews in previous matches that while Salah’s starting position is what we want out of him, he isn’t quite managing to then move in effectively as we want. Suggesting that he can’t dribble as well as Mané is also hilarious considering what he’s done in the past.

1 Like

Four goals and four assists doesn’t hide how ineffective he has been this season. Don’t think tucking him deep and wide is helping anyone. He is our top scorer and he can be threatening if he is closer to the danger area, in the channel between the opposition FB & CB.

Again, I don’t think the plan is for him to stay out wide. I think where we are failing at the moment is getting the right moments to move in more centrally, although I think he did that fairly well in the game yesterday. What’s more interesting is that we don’t seem to have anyone well-positioned to support him in such situations, especially if he’s been surrounded by defenders and needs an outlet, or to mop up the second balls after a defender takes it from him.

I know, I know.

The fact is he is stuck, deep and wide. If the elements to collaborate with him in those situations are absent, it’s better to change the strategy. Presently, it’s a blessing for the opposition to have our best marksman so far away from the danger-zone. They are just assigning multiple players to isolate and corral him. Even if the opposition defense is pulled out of shape it doesn’t matter because we/Salah can’t take advantage. Either Salah passes it backwards or he loses the ball.

I felt like we were getting better at this in the game, but I quite obviously watched a different game compared to many.

Klopp when asked why he took Salah off.

Basically responded by saying he did nothing to help defensively.

I think that’s only the half of it Jurgen.

1 Like

Anyone heard or seen anything from that Cnut of an agent lately that Mo has.
No me neither…
Not too keen laying out his snidey comments now is he that Mo is playing crap…

The guy has put me on a roller coaster.

Brilliant for seasons.
Brilliant till Afcon.
Garbage after Afcon.
Resigned to losing him on a free.
Ecstatic that he extended.
Now wondering if was better to sell him or wind down his contract.

Where will you take us next?