Myths or Mysteries

I think the myth of Dragons comes from those flying Dinosaurs but clearly there has never been a creature that was able to spit fire.

1 Like

You’ve obiously never met any of my ex’s - evil creatures that could leave a man burnt ashes :rofl:

4 Likes

This is the one that troubles me. How could you even take the piss on something so obviously wrong? Even the ancients knew the bitch was round.

Now bigfoot. That shit’s for real.

@Iftikhar, El Dorado is a myth…

4 Likes

“Hey Jude” was in fact written with Julian Lennon in mind. Here are some other, less known, Beatle song stories.

Back when they were playing in Hamburg, Paul solicited a prostitute, who told him she wouldn’t take pounds sterling as payment, only West German marks, of which he was a tad short at that moment. “Can’t Buy Me Love” was the result.

Of course, it’s well known that “From Me to You” was inspired by a dose of the clap John got while on tour, though luckily he was able to see “Dr. Robert” to get a quick cure.

There are lots of Beatles songs about sex, of course. They were young, randy Liverpudlians. “Come Together” is a famous title, and we all know what John was singing about when he wrote “Norwegian Wood.” He’s actually talking about his own willy, but he needed the extra syllable. George suggested “North English Wood,” but this was rejected, as were most of George’s song ideas.

John wrote “I’m a Loser” for Pete Best, but he liked the song so much he had the Beatles record it.

In 1968 John entered a celebrity hot dog eating contest to raise awareness for world peace. It didn’t go so well, and “Mean Mr. Mustard” was the result.

A lot of people don’t know this, but it was actually George Harrison who wanted to quite the Beatles first (even though it’s actually Ringo who made the first move to leave). He wrote the song “Piggies” about John and Paul and their reluctance to permit George’s incomprehensible Indian-themed songs on any Beatles album.

2 Likes

Yeah I read it was due to the confusion of what Dinosaur bones actually where.

1 Like

Everton’s ‘waiting list’ for season tickets.

1 Like

How could you say that :pleading_face:

1 Like

Bombardier Beetle comes close.

“The World Series” was a baseball league sponsored by “The World” newspaper.

That is how it got its name.

Like “The Barclays Premier League” for instance.

Sponsors name in the title.

2 Likes

wasn’t World Series a tobacco brand that sponsored baseball?

Minor technicality in regards to what they did, but the overall basis is correct that it was named after a sponsor

1 Like

Where did you read that?

The New Your World Newspaper’s role in the use of the term “The World Series” is itself a myth, or at least something there is no contemporaneous evidence of. Most sources consider 1903 to be the first official championship series, but there had been about 20 years of unofficial championship series prior to that. There were many names given to these series with several derivatives of World Series used over the years in different publications, along with numerous other names. The 1903 series occurred alongside several other post-season series, but the one between the respective league winners, Pittsburgh and Boston, was promoted as the World Series, seemingly to put it above the other series being played.

1 Like

History of China book and one on Dinosaurs I read. It’s why they need to move quick in China today as many ancient remedies include “dragon” bones.

Dragons didn’t exist and never have, but beings like them have, it maybe assumptions on the authors part but it seems lógical to me.

1 Like

Thanks @mattyhurst. I haven’t read enough on that area yet but would like to do so. It does sound logical. They probably discovered dinosaur bones much sooner than we in the UK did and I don’t know when ‘dragons’ where first talked of.

1 Like

Atlantis was a plot device for a book by Plato.
Kraken was I think originally described as some island sized creature that would sink under the waves to drown people. More modern versions of the tale describe it as a giant squid or monster from the black lagoon type creature.

If I could remember it I’d pass it on.

1 Like

Thomas More’s “Utopia” was in part inspired by the allegory of Plato’s Atlantis. Although it (Utopia) was no more real than Atlantis, that didn’t prevent various religious societies of the day from trying to raise money to send missionaries to Utopia. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I reckon the UK is quickly heading to Atlantis.

1 Like

Were you all discussing Hey Jude because you all knew we are signing Bellingham?

2 Likes

no. ten characters.

1 Like