Myths or Mysteries

I thought you would reply with nah nah nah nah nah…

hey jude beatles GIF by Squirrel Monkey

Watched an interesting docco about consciousness yesterday. Consciousness has not been adequately explained yet - so I think this is the right thread for it. The docco was a bit “out there” but I think it is worthy of consideration.

The new(ish) theory goes -

Gravity is a force everpresent in the known universe - it acts upon and within the universe constantly.

Consciousness could be described as a similar force - it is everywhere and acts upon everything in the universe that is receptive to it.

Some animals, plants have a DNA profile and receptors that only minimally allows the consciousness force to act upon them. moss, microbes, slugs, Everton fans etc.

Other animals (like us) have sufficiently adapted DNA to achieve, receive and perceive a higher level of consciousness.

That’s it in a nutshell - I am not saying I believe it necessarily or even completely understand the idea but it is an interesting theory.

I have been thinking about it today - there is an obvious tie-in with the Buddhist philosophy of enlightenment and the many levels of consciousness, as well as string theory.

It has certainly got me thinking.

nah. ten characters

i like toasted sandwiches.

i like toasted sandwiches

OK …

Any particular flavour?

1 Like

Made me think of this childhood classic:

1 Like

I don’t think we should/can dismiss anything as myth without conclusive or at least sufficient evidence.

1 Like

They usually have been dismissed because of the evidence against them. There is usually no evidence in support of them - which is what is needed to elevate it as reality.

1 Like

Only few decades ago color changing Chameleon and Cattlefish must have sounded like myths.

The advancement of science and explorations have done wonders in exposing the limitlessness of the yet unknowns.

England and Penalties - Mystery

1 Like

The purpose of science is to question and challenge the knowns, particularly as new evidence emerges but there is a world of difference between accepting the existence of creatures like Chameleon’s and Cuttlefish changing colour and the existence of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Maybe Bigfoot, Nessie, Kraken, and Dragon don’t exist; maybe. What proof is there, that they don’t exist?

Just over 10 years ago scientists conducted a deep sea exploration and discovered/filmed a host of utterly weird and fantastic creatures, some of them previously unknown to us.

That’s not how proof works.

Just from an epistemological angle, you can’t put the burden on someone disproving your crack pot idea.

1 Like

The first question should be where is the evidence that they do exist?

With regards to Bigfoot, we have no evidence of bones, or footprints, few documented sightings, little in the way of recordings. When ‘evidence’ does arise it is usually dismissable through testing (bodies or sample of fur usually turns out to be other animals, as does recorded sounds). At least one of those behind the first and most famous video have admitted it was fake.

With regards to Loch Ness, again the relative lack of sightings, the lack of food source within the waters and its temperatures all point to it not existing. The myth largely grew out of the fascination with the King Kong movies that had just been released shortly before.

Pretty much all of the evidence you will read about in support of these things will usually have been debunked by science already because the evidence doesnt stack up (not because it has been ignored).

2 Likes

One of the greater mysteries of in recent history is the question of who killed Olof Palme and why.

Was it Stig Engstrøm ? Or was it someone else, every other year, one hears of new information coming to light.

And with that, it is fitting to post Bjørn Afzelius amazing (can not reccomend it enough, lyrics and song is super strong) “In Master Olof’s Time” :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tNqaV8gurc

In English:

IN MASTER OLOF’S TIME

In Master Olof’s time
Pappa, how was it before?
Tell how everything was before
Nothing is said, nothing is written;
How was it actually before?

Then we had a respected name.
Then I was proud of my country.
One knew us widely around;
Soon one knew nothing.
When Sweden spoke, one listened,
because everyone knew that it was true
To say something was a philosophy
in Master Olof’s time.

Then we were the Third World’s greatest friend,
a constant battle for freedom.
We sent money widely around;
Soon we gave nothing.
The beautiful word solidarity
then had a meaning which was concrete.
To serve everyone was a philosophy
in Master Olof’s time.

That’s when the people demanded the secretaries
keep the promises to the electorate.
to keep the word of democracy;
Soon nothing will be cherished
This time one took for granted
that responsibility assumes honesty.
to keep a word was a philosophy
in Master Olof’s time.

That time the media didn’t hesitate
to bring up the large questions.
They want to be with their time;
Soon they want nothing.
At the time the journalists were allowed
to go out and engage people.
A high level was a philosophy
in Master Olof’s time.

Then one was called upon to think big
and to understand that everything is connected.
To see the world is like a ring;
Soon one sees nothing.
At the time the millions were spent
to realize the visions.
To have a dream was a philosophy
In Master Olof’s time.

The new time came on a chilly night.
No one had ever seen a night so dark.
A night which all the people remember;
Then they remember nothing.
So let me say to you, little friend:
A bullet drew us into silence.