Naby KEITA: 2020/21

I’ll add that because of the amount of injured players we have atm we could not afford him a couple of games to break in. He had to play in a high intensity match following injury and illness. I believe if we had more options he would have played maybe the last 15-30mins in the upcoming matches

2 Likes

I still blame it to the day he was called to play for his national team despite every man and his dog knowing he needed rest. :rage:

5 Likes

Stunning. I mean, how many players have we lost to injury over the years, because of these freaking internationals? It beggars belief.

Really like Naby. You can see there’s a very good player there, but it’s so frustrating seeing him get injured over and over again. It must be hard on him too mentally. Let’s hope this one’s not too bad.

1 Like

It makes you wonder if Keita has the right type of home-life around him that would bring the peace and quiet, and more importantly, rest benefits his body needs between matches. His entourage has been heavy criticised in the past for bringing distraction to his career… Good player or not, he needs to remain focused on the task at hand, and fantastic opportunity he has been presented with at LFC… Maybe it is me… but I get a feeling something is just not right…!
It is taking tooooo long for him to dovetail into what is/has been required from him…!

1 Like

I think it’s flying that does it, along with a change in a training regime that comes with internationals.

Imaging playing a game and then before you’ve properly recovered you go and sit in pressure cooker for a good few hours with little room to stretch and just generally rest up. Then there’s the effect of time zones as well. Not sure if that’s a huge issue here but I bet the change in training and flights is.

1 Like

He needs to fuck off his national team and get himself fit. Surely there is a point that he is invalidating his contract here by knowingly playing for them against the medical advice of Liverpool?

2 Likes

Sad thing is I thought he had a good game yesterday.

1 Like

As Ragnar from RB Leipzig was quoted as saying…
“the distractions he gets from his home country are immense and disruptive”
You are right… With his career stuttering at Anfield… LFC should be his priority at the moment

4 Likes

To be honest, I have no idea about “his entourage”. And I am not sure how much say they have on him playing for club and country. For me it all comes down to the medical team at Guinea FA. The idiot(s) who decided he was fit to play. Hope Naby has realised by now and has his priorities sorted.

5 Likes

I wonder if the mysterious Ferguson Muscle Bug should pay Naby a visit from time to time? You know the one that used to appear before internationals for a number of United players, Giggs in particular.

That might enable him to get into shape properly and build some durability.

3 Likes

Jurgen’s principles are straight as an arrow… Duplicity does not seem to be in his vocabulary… Which is a pity because what you suggest would certainly help in Keita’s situation…
What slightly bothers me in all this… and I posted a note on here the other week… In short…
Naby himself needs to wake the F*** UP…!
He has the opportunity of a lifetime at LFC to demonstrate his talents upon the global stage… working for the best manager that there is… It is Keita Himself that needs to pull back from committing his body to such International workload rigours when he is not fully fit …
Something he has failed to do so far…!!
So Naby lad… Wake the F*** UP will ya…!!!
Get back in the team and stay there.!

2 Likes

Yeah Klopp is straight as an arrow. I bet he’s been pretty uncomfortable with players jetting off to the 4 corners of the globe in the middle of a pandemic.

Couldn’t agree more. Naby needs to take the lead here. Missing an international or two will not mean he never plays there again.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s that easy. “Doing something for the country” comes with a whole lot more emotional baggage in developing countries and even more so formerly colonized countries.

As for his entourage, they’re unlikely to be some hanger ons like in the TV show. A lot of the boys not just from Africa but South America as well basically support an entire extended family. One can’t apply Western social structures to that and come to a conclusion.

I think Naby’s just really unlucky with his body the way some players are.

For context, even though Robertson said he had a hammy issue, he played the full 90 against Israel. National teams like all teams act in their own self interest. It doesn’t matter if they’re European or African.

6 Likes

Guinean FA does not care. Naby will play even in a wheelchair

2 Likes

It’s prolly an African thing. They proudly wear their countries colours and are gods in their homelands.
Mané and salah too f* off to ACN in january no matter how much their club need them.

4 Likes

The players don’t actually have a choice. They can’t reduce their participation it’s outside their power. The national team calls them up they have to go or face a possible ban whilst playing for their club. Even if they turn up complaining of tightness or pain the national side has it’s own medical department to make their own decision on the players ability to play through the pain. Just because Alex Ferguson had too much power and influence in the sport and everyone was afraid of him to call him and his players out on their bullshit it’s created a myth of the players and clubs having some level of power in this situation. Probably as much as 98% of the time they don’t have any and it’s all with the national side.

2 Likes

Giggs was to my memory the real “beneficiary” of this. He hardly ever played for Wales, or at least far less than he should have and yet often made an appearance immediately after the international window, as if some miracle recovery took place.

I fully appreciate the difficulties that Naby faces with Guinea and obviously he wants to play. But there comes a point where it damages your career and that may include your longevity.

Somewhere along the line sense needs to kick in but given what we’re seeing with the PL this season it seems highly unlikely.

3 Likes

Naby needs to understand that he is reaching the end of the road at Liverpool, and a large part of this is because his National Association keep playing him when he is injured.

The difficult thing is that the Guinean FA have a right to have Naby assessed by their own medical team. But their own medical team have a vested interest in declaring him fit to play.

Their medical structures are not the best either. I haven’t forgotten him being carried off on the physio’s back ffs.

Most players are proud of their international career, and want to represent their country, but the Guinean FA I don’t think show any intention of reciprocating that respect.

4 Likes

It gets to the point where they will miss him for a tournament one day. They wont learn from that either though.

I bet in their minds the PL is the issue

1 Like