NBA/Basketball Thread

NBA draft last night - no idea who any of the guys are but anyone particularly happy with your team’s pick?

Me and my wife spent the draft making up names for players from household items and basketball terms. Our favourites were…

Spicy Brown (Mustard) - Who is clearly a high scoring but totally insane SG.
Foul Line - 7’5" Centre chased by every fanbase but only ever plays in the G-League.
Pressure D - Was accused of rape at college.

1 Like

I watched with interest last night as a Rockets fan (lived in Houston suburbs for 5 years while going to high school- so enjoy having a good team with Harden, but not attached to their style of bball lol) waiting for them to trade either Harden, Westbrook, or both. Nothing happening. So I’ll be chasing down every trade rumor and try to figure out what they will look like next year. New GM, new coach, Harden and Westbrook want out, so it will be interesting.

I personally think Harden will get traded at some point, and then it will be Westbrook’s team and we will have Houston’s version of Westbrooks OKC team. It’ll be interesting.

1 Like

One of the more bizarre stories in U.S. sports.

Suarez would be proud. :rofl:

Sixers are going all the way.

You haven’t watched harden in playoffs yet. As a rockets fan, it’s not pretty.

1 Like

Tense atmosphere in Philly this eve. Heavy security. Apparently $4,000 minimum for the lower level.

Playoffs coming up soon, it’ll be fun to see what the 1st round matchups end up being, especially in the East. As it stands, Brooklyn will end up coming in as the 7th or 8th seed if they get through the play-in games, which would probably give us a 1st round tie against Miami or Milwaukee. Tasty.

MVP.

Any predictions?

To be honest, I haven’t watched much of either this last season; Steph is always primetime, but I find Celtics more interesting. Seems like they don’t really have a superstar - just a solid group, taking care of business.

Now, my understanding of basketball isn’t by any means thorough enough to give any sort of good reasoning, but before the finals I thought this seemed 50/50. I was thinking this goes to 7, and I still lean towards that. Definitely hope so.

Boston’s defence is great, but from what I see, Golden State challenge defences differently to every other team with their constant movement. Screens, back cuts; defending the shooters while looking behind your back, with Draymond Green as the decision maker. Fantastic to watch, collective attacking play.

So in that sense, Boston taking game 1 makes it maybe an even bigger win than it seemed. Can they keep hitting 3s like in game 1, and take a 2-0 lead back home? Maybe not, but they have their defence to build on, and Tatum can have a big game and they win that way instead.

I didn’t watch the whole game but at one point Curry was 7/8 from three and the commentators/twitter were going crazy for it. However, I said to my brother-in-law that it’s worrying for the Warriors to have Curry be that on fire and yet their lead at the time was just 4 points.

If Golden State can’t stop the Celtic getting easy buckets they won’t have a chance to win this series.

Well, that was pretty great. Impressed with how Golden State secured the title in Boston, basically every player on the floor was making sure they finished the job. Curry’s three games there were pretty special.

Golden State were a real life cheat code when they had Durant, as good as they were I just didn’t manage to fully appreciate them. But now, after he left, and after all the injuries, it’s been fantastic to see them regroup and build a new team around their old core. I don’t have a favourite NBA team, but this 21/22 version of GS were great to watch, and I was really happy they won it.

1 Like

The greatest winner in American sports. A true giant both off and on the court.

RIP

1 Like

Fuck The Grizzlies.

1 Like

And the Lakers.

Embiid: 47pts, 18reb, 5ast.
Jokic: 24pts, 8reb, 9ast.

ESPN:

1 Like