Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

Think we need to stop imagining Klopp playing (offensive) full backs in forward as much positions because… it just didn’t happen so far. Let’s not count things like closing the game when we do put a full back on the sides here and there. We don’t play with wingers out wide. Of course, up for discussion if we can switch it more often. But easier said than done.

1 Like

I thought he did ok last night. His crossing was pretty decent and a step up from pretty much everything that had happened before he came on.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a matter of all full backs, but definitely he has shown the interest in playing Williams there. Considering Williams only got shifted into right back (from wing) late into his youth team career, if I’m not wrong, then it’s not surprising that we think he might have something to offer up front. He was the first of this crop of kids to score for us after all!

1 Like

I don’t think Klopp, of all managers, looks at players as a label “you’re a fullback so I’ll only ever play you at fullback”!

He’ll look at skills and abilities and I’m thinking more and more that Neco Williams skillset is more in line with what Klopp gets out of Mane at left wing than Trent at Right Back. If he could replicate Manes tenacious, fast, direct playing style on the left he’d be quite a good option there. If being closer to goal unlocked him as a reasonable source of goals and assists we’d have saved ourselves a fortune in transfer fees and wages and have another academy success story.

If Neco can be a good back up at left wing, a cover option at right wing/full back and an emergency option at left back he’s basically kind of our new Milner at that stage.

Those are some big ifs, I don’t know where to start. Maybe with the last, I don’t see Neco Williams ever being a James Milner type. Being versatile by positions doesn’t make you a James Milner.

I didn’t say the first sentence, but I’m just going by what we saw from Klopp in his 6-7 years here. Trent used to come on the right side in a lot of games, seeing out the result, in his first season. Neco did or is doing the same.

Maybe he’ll do more in the next few games, but I don’t see it as a permanent option; him playing our forwards positions.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that leave us a bit thin??? Of course, Milner, Gomez, and some kid can fill in stop-gap; but we are in four competitions and would have preferred some numbers.

1 Like

Would love us to be able to keep him as a backup in the long term but I think he’s been open to a move for quite some time now.

And tbh he is too good to be a backup.

Would prefer a sale over loan.

I think this is the case of Klopp and staff deciding that Gomez and Bradley can cover for TAA, while Neco can play regularly, increase his transfer value by helping Bournemouth gain promotion and then leave in the summer for a bigger fee than he’d command at this moment.

1 Like

I totally get that financial part.

I think this is a case of Klopp doing it for Neco’s benefit over that of the squad. Presumably he is confident we have sufficient options to cover

1 Like

With my Wales hat on I’m not sure this is a good move for him. Apart from not knowing whether he’ll be playing regularly, Bournemouth are not guaranteed promotion in any sense. Could be another Welsh player that disappears into the Championship and beyond.

2 Likes

In Klopp we trust :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Would be a great move for him if he can nail down a place in their team. Deserves to get a run of games somewhere.

1 Like

Millie would probably still play before all of those, when we need a backup at RB.

:joy:

2 Likes

Already posted in a different thread but

Here’s hoping he gets games. Would be good to see him get a solid run in their team. He can also convince Carvalho that we’re the right club for him.

2 Likes

Not a big shame because he doesn’t really get on our bench in most cases, when we have our main players fit. Gomez and Milner would be there to provide RB cover options.

1 Like

Bradley was already being seen as the TAA backup when Neco was supposed to be off to loan / transfer in the 2021 summer window.

Very happy for Neco. He is a player who deserved more than the 387 mins he clocked for us. Unfortunately for him, he is the understudy of, possibly, the best RB in the world at the moment. Fulham being in the race for automatic promotion provides the perfect situation to show and shape his attitude.

1 Like

Good move for him. Hope he gets plenty of game time. He reminds me of Jason McAteer. Similar style. He’ll have a decent career but I’m not sure he’ll make it with us. He’s a bit too ‘head-down’ for me. I don’t think it leaves us short. I’m not a fan of Gomez at RB but if it’s the only way he can get games then it’s better than nothing. Longer term I think Conor Bradley is a better bet.