New Champions League structure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5RcSf0scU

A bit explanative of the new structure.

Maybe we should try and get into the Europa League and win it, if you win your group you don’t even play in a last 32 round

1 Like

Interesting.

So if the choice comes down to a bloated UEFA Champions League or a more streamlined European Super League, which would most prefer here? :thinking:

1 Like

I would prefer the competition where we would not have to play more games than we already do.

6 games in the group
6 KO games
1 final.

That’s perfect.

2 Likes

That’s only possible under the existing structure of CL and it’s not going to stay that way.

The proposed CL structure is simply absurd. Don’t know about the ESL structure, but if it offers a streamlined and competitive option then that will be preferable.

Fewer games makes for relatively better viewing then the newly proposed crap. We went into the last game in that season needing to win by two goals or keep a clean sheet.

If we had won 2-1, we would’ve been out to a team winning only 2 of 6 games. The reason we went through losing three games, is that teams were taking points off each other. If you expand the number of games, then each game would be less significant.

At present, losing to a team that are destined to finish last in the group throws a spanner in the works. In the new format, it won’t even make a blip.

Many teams will qualify with loads of games to spare, and then field weak teams for maybe three games, and so causing disruption.

In effect, think of the boring present situation when you have two teams already qualified by round four. Well, this situation will be par the course for the new system.

2 Likes

Would a breakaway super league just be in place of the CL? If you were midtable in say a league of 10 wouldn’t you not bother half way through?

And then where does the PL sit, it is after all still a cash cow which the CL and leagues elsewhere are not.

The way I see it is this, football people are obsessed with creating must watch games but they won’t be if fuck all is riding on it.

End of the day I want to watch Liverpool win games and compete for prizes I don’t want them to be playing AC Milan for the battle for 7th in a European Super league that has no relegation or benefit from finishing anywhere but 1st.

Also AC Milan have been shit for over a decade, a tin pot invented cup that just invites a cabal of teams sounds about as exciting as dental surgery.

I assume they were working on the premise of the PL but at no point has the PL basically cut itself off from the rest of the league structure, you can still rise and money is still relatively evenly split.

3 Likes

Binning off the whole thing probably. Transition to no football will be easier after this farcical Covid season, anyway.

1 Like

For me personally, I’d revert back to the European Cup style, 2 leg ties all the way through. If your good enough, you go through, if your not good enough, then tough shit - try again next season

6 Likes

73 posts were merged into an existing topic: European Super League

I think this has been on the cards for a while. In the other trouser leg of time:

“FSG criticised for allowing Liverpool to be left behind by refusing to join new Euro Superleague”

2 Likes
2 Likes

Great proposals. Basically very much like the ESL except this one UEFA get to run and monetise and retain fiefdom over more clubs. The hypocrisy is off the scale.

6 Likes

Elite. :joy:

Why are they panicking, they already gave back the top leagues automatic qualifications. The great Milan are back now anyway, though after what, 10 years or so?

1 Like

It’s not though is it… this is open to all leagues, ESL has 5 places that will as suggested by most be taken by clubs from those feds that already have teams there.

1 Like

Sounds utter shit.

So say united and we qualify…we will play them twice in CL league stage and if we both finish top 8 then posible twice in QF or SF…then we will play them twice in Prem and we may draw them in Fa and league cup…so we could play each other 7 or 8 times.

If it takes off those 5 places will only be in the first couple of years.By the time it’s properly up and running you might find a further 20 teams competing in the competition,similar numbers to now with mostly the same teams.

That’s good to know because I haven’t seen that anywhere and why isn’t that the case now? It would help their case?

It’s just guess work, there is nothing in the proposals that says this will open up. And considering one of its reasons is to dilute their competition I’ve got very little hope in that.

And I’m not saying this is good it’s poor but I’ll make the point that bar us every other team in the super league has been knocked out by a team not in the super league and in some examples like Man Utd this season or Man City last they were knocked out by teams not even being considered.

You don’t create competition by giving several clubs all the money in the world and “inviting” five clubs every year at random.

All this does is benefit John W Henry’s pocket and others some of who were using UEFA as a cash cow anyhow.

2 Likes

Because bayern,dortmund,psg and likely others have knocked back the chance.If it gets going and looks to be a financial success then those teams will more likely get on board with the idea.They probably won’t go as high as late 30’s as they may want to keep it "elite"but you could easily see them have a regular 20-25 teams with another 5 or 10 more who are in/out depending on how they finish in particular leagues.