New European Super League

But with UEFA and the PL locking these teams into new agreements and contracts, the clubs have more to lose if they go this route again.

ESL 2.0 will need UEFA backing and with a few brown envelopes in the right direction, I wouldn’t say it would be an impossible task.

By the way, totally agree UEFA are not the custodians of our game that most fans want, but they’re what we’re stuck with. The only real solution is serious reform of UEFA along with independent watchdogs.

1 Like

That’s why they need to properly address the big clubs grievances.

1 Like

I tell you what, Chelsea and City should say that they’re not playing the CL final in Turkey in front of none of their fans. They can’t travel anyway due to Turkey not being on the UK’s green list.

Those two clubs should say that they’ll boycott any final not played in the UK without at least 75% tickets going to their fans.

2 Likes

I agree. UEFA cannot simply ignore the massive disparity in the interest generated by the twelve ESL clubs when compared to that of all the other 86 clubs in the major 5 leagues:

In effect, without the twelve, the Champion’s league would be a significantly less attractive financial proposition.

The comparison is even more extreme in the PL where the 6 “want-away” clubs have roughly 85% of the total social media following of all 20 clubs in the league. To put it another way, Liverpool has more social media followers than the combined total for the fourteen clubs that form the “rump”.

Without the six the PL would be practically worthless

3 Likes

That’s not entirely true though. The people who sit on these boards, and those running these organisations are elected by the representatives of the different leagues / countries. It’s not as if they are entirely without accountability.

Not that I’m a fan of how UEFA and especially FIFA have behaved: There are serious problems. More FIFA than UEFA though imho.

3 Likes

OK, let me rephrase. People who keep the PL, FA, UEFA executives in office are equally corrupt and incompetent. So there’s corruption and incompetence along the whole spectrum.

Also, MPs/ministers are also elected; are they accountable, to what extent?

2 Likes

In the case of MPs, Ministers and governing bodies such as UEFA/FIFA, accountability comes in the form of re-election to office. If the incumbents are not doing their job to satisfaction, they are very likely to get voted out by the electorate in the next round of elections.

That being said, if the system is not designed properly or subject to manipulation, then there would be less accountability.

1 Like
2 Likes

Oh No Lol GIF by Liverpool FC

4 Likes

On what basis? It’s almost like UEFA and other footballing powers are falling over themselves trying to prove the ESL group right.

1 Like

Well it didn’t work last time…

I can’t see how they would be able to ban them, don’t think it proves the ESL right in any shape or form, I think it shows making Perez the leader the worst idea they could come up with.

Barca is a really odd one considering they never apparently joined but are still in it.

Don’t know if someone has already posted it, but here’s Twitter thread on UEFA decision regarding Barca, Real, and Juve

Reminds me of Trump filing lawsuits across America.

When it actually gets to the big courts call me, otherwise it’s just money making. TV rights might get interesting though I think stuff like this has been challenged and challenged again and if we are honest that’s what drove Henry.

1 Like

Their desperation to press on is somewhat funny. I hope Liverpool have nothing to do with the A22 court case re. quashing the fines that 9 drop outs have agreed too.

1 Like

When have the clubs who still haven’t officially pulled out do the ESL got to do so before UEFA fucks them outta the champions league

1 Like

Interesting to see Madrid still are supporting this.

UEFA already have banned the 3 of them.

The problem is they have appealed to a Swiss court to have the ban overruled

So did that actually happen like I didn’t see anything in the news about it etc

2 Likes