New European Super League

:+1: I’m not sure we’re aiming for reform right now. I think we tried, and now we’re plowing forward and leaving Uefa behind. I don’t see a way back, it’s a question now if the EPL will kick us out, and it sounds like they will.

Is anyone disputing that money is part of the game? Nobody is saying that. As much as I’d love it, I’m not expecting fan ownership across the board and a fair, collectivistic approach to international spor to emerge in a vacuum tomorrow. Of course not. But that’s not the point: lines have to be drawn in the sand.

This isn’t just another business venture - this could have hugely worrying ramifications for the future of professional football. A sport no longer based around rewarding skill and effort but a sport that rewards billionaires and clubs run by billionaires above all else. Oh, and if you think that huge institutions like Liverpool FC aren’t expected to act with a social consience and live up to responsibilities beyond just making a profit, then you’re probably an outlier in modern business. Thus why there’s been such condemnation from businesspeople, sportspeople and politicians on all sides of the spectrum against this proposal.

1 Like

It’s hard to say. It’s quite possible they make up for the shortfall and just rely on profits from abroad. But that’s not a reason not to do it. The damage to their reputation - especially given the overtures Henry and co made me when they took over and commitments around respecting the local fanbase - would be seismic.

1 Like

So we are mad at the ESL for not being “merit” driven, but okay with the reported new CL reserving “wildcard” spots for teams with the highest coefficient?

Also known as, everyone in the ESL will likely qualify for the CL year over year without worrying about league position?

2 Likes

No, both should be challenged.

1 Like

I’d be very surprised if anything hits their profits so bad that going ahead with this doesn’t make financial sense.I’d prefer if they didn’t but i also think Uefa are a joke,they’re corrupt and shouldn’t be allowed involvement in this sport.

1 Like

It’s been a sport run by billionaires for donkey’s years. When did Abramovic buy Chelsea? Hang on… 2003. Hardly a recent event. This league has been brewing for years but I’ll admit to being stunned at how it was launched.

2 Likes

The money yes but the message of an empty Anfield first match back after lockdown would speak 1000 times louder than the lost revenue.

If they kick out the 6 clubs who pull in the majority of the money in football in england,they’ll be consigning the epl as we know it to the history books

2 Likes

Essential viewing

1 Like

They know fans are not gonna go for this from the off.They expect a backlash.Do you really think an empty stadium is gonna stop them at this point.There will be sponsors who won’t be happy but it’s highly unlikely this hasn’t been mentioned to our biggest sponsors prior to last night and the merits and profits of this action spelt out to them

“But the club, its values, its history, its amazing fans and everything about it is now in the hands of a business.”

Is it not likely that a large chunk of the Big 6 supporters will find a new team to support? Most of us will admit to having a soft spot for a second team… alternatively AFC Liverpool and FCUM could be seen as the replacement club and fans “switch” to them. Similar to MK Dons / AFC Wimbledon.

If Liverpool FC become a “just another” soulless franchise in a European / World Super League then they’re not the team I’ve supported for the last 30+ years and with a heavy heart and fond memories I’ll walk away (most likely in the direction of AFC Liverpool).

2 Likes

I’m trying to see both sides of this. An empty Anfield would be unbelievably vocal, pun intended.

On a different note, who inteoduced “legacy fans” into this debate? Heard it about 8000 times in the last minute.

TAW’s interview with Rory Smith is far more balanced.

1 Like

Does anyone think that the following is appealing for TV audiences for next years CL?

Germany - Bayern, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Frankfurt
Spain - Sevilla, Villarreal, Betis, Sociedad
England - Leicester, West Ham, Everton, Leeds
Italy - Atalanta, Napoli, Lazio, Roma
France - Lille, PSG, Monaco

Looks like the Europa League!

3 Likes

Which is a heartbreaking debate. I’m not in the least emotionally bothered by this, what will be will be and I’ll follow regardless but the anguish and pain of fans (particularly local) is tangible.

Agreed. But even as a non-Liverpudlian, I know that the life, soul and spirit of the club are the people of the city of Liverpool itself. No billionaire can buy this. If every Liverpool fan in the city of Liverpool turned to AFC Liverpool (or another fan based ownership model club), it wouldn’t be long before that club began to grow.

3 Likes

Which might happen anyway. I’ll bet there are fans who’ve been ST holders for decades who’ve sworn never to go again after this news. Anfield might just become a tourist destination, might move to London. Stranger things have happened (look at the USA) Depends on the maths. Which is what’s at the root of this.

I could never support another PL club and cannot just forget the love i’ve had for Lfc because some **** has come in and moved them into another european competition as opposed to the CL.I doubt very much if the majority of fans of the 6 teams in question are gonna start supporting other clubs,buying their merchandise and subscribing to their tv channels.With the greatest respect for what they are doing,the local clubs like AFC Liverpool have very little to do with the club i started supporting in the 70’s so highly unlikely i’m gonna buy their kit anytime soon or spend a small fortune going to Liverpool just for a game.
Threats are coming from Uefa because they are the worst hit in this.You take Uefa out of it and there is a chance a compromise can be agreed between the the 6 teams and the FA,PL and the other 14 teams.Uefa have to shoulder some responsibility themselves after years of corruption.

3 Likes

Problem is if you remove 5 from the 12 then it’s just another bunch of Europa league teams.

It’s worth considering that only about 6 teams can win the CL if we are honest. Maybe that is at the heart of this in the end, if the club is ripped from the domestic competition then that will be it for me.

I’ve followed football for pretty much the entire period of the PL, Spurs and City have been mostly shit for a fair period, if Roman got bored then Chelsea would sink like a stone.

If four of the 6 left the PL and us and Man Utd stayed literally little would change, it would still be a massive cash cow because let’s face it it’s us and them who bring in the money not this other four.

End of the day if they don’t make this work with domestic football I’ll have to walk on.

1 Like

Would your opinion change if a group like SOS founded a fan owned team based on the German model?