New European Super League

It’s tremendously sad, but part of growing old is watching things you love fall apart, collapse and disintegrate. For many of us on here, who remember the pre PL days, there are certain values and ideals associated with the club that are totally incompatible with an idea like this. The owners of our club, and the others, pay lip service to these things when it suits them, but they don’t feel them like we do. Why should they? For them, the club is a franchise to be leveraged for profit, and the future is not misty eyed idealists, it’s young people around the world who can be sold an idea of a club who just happen to be called Liverpool, but whose home stadium could as well be in Shanghai or Houston, or both. The new young fans who will pay for this product don’t care about Shankly or YNWA, they just want a signed Mo Salah or VVD shirt, and who can blame them? That’s their world. The competition will be dull. The same 20 or so teams playing each other year in year out, but no one will care, because it will all be about the stars and their haircuts and girlfriends. I may sound like a grumpy old codger, but that’s because I am one, but I recognise it’s not my world anymore. It was a great ride being a Liverpool fan and the Klopp years have been boss, but this is happening, whether it’s this year or in five year’s time.

1 Like

I reckon most fans will support both teams, call me a cynic but despite the protestations of most… When it came down to it they’d watch LFC warts and all in the new league… With a half eye glanced for their romantic heart at the SOS club you mention.

I don’t think so.I like the idea of fans owning clubs but if Lfc were gone,i couldn’t support another.I barely watch anyone but Liverpool these days and can’t really see that changing.Be a sad day if that ever came to pass.

1 Like

This is the bit I don’t understand. How are the five other clubs going to qualify every year? If it’s by winning their domestic league won’t they be booted out the following season?

They’re won’t be 5 other clubs. That’s the super league trying to be inclusive, but rest of Europe won’t allow/fall for that. It’ll be a closed league if it goes ahead. Maybe there will be invites sent out, but if someone excepts it, I expect that is them out of domestic league, and into ‘super league’.

1 Like

If they kick out the clubs from these competitions aren’t they actually just playing right into their hands? They’ll have nowhere else to go other than to not only set up their own league but to also invite others. They will be literally hastening the end of their own domestic and continental competitions.

If they also seek to ban players from competing for their national teams etc they’re going to have a revolt on their hands to the extent that could even shake FIFA.

7 Likes

There’s 0% chance they ban players from world cup, lol. FIFA, still a farce. The statement they put out is incredibly mild.

1 Like

I am not for this new tournament. This is complete greed by the billionaires and lack of respect for your competitors. But Premier League, Uefa and others can’t do much. Without Liverpool, United and others global TV revenues will be cut by half. Global TV rights are the only thing that is keeping all the Leagues afloat during pandemic. They need to come to a settlement with this new league if the bigger clubs don’t change their stance and I don’t think they will having gone this far. May be only option for Uefa is to plan for a Super cup kind of a tournament wherein the winners of both the league play each other. But Bayern Munich will keep winning the Uefa Champions League as other teams can’t compete financially with them.

1 Like

Hilarious from the government. This is the government that the Saudi’s asked for help with regard to their buy-out of Newcastle United now talking about seeking to use competition laws to block a break away.

What I like about this is that it pits the issue of government interference in football straight into the spotlight which, of course, is supposed to be a big NO NO for FIFA :joy:

Just watch them disregard such policies at the earliest opportunity though. Principles, schminciples.

8 Likes

What’s the betting that by simply brainstorming ideas on this forum that we’d come up with a better proposal for European and domestic competitions than UEFA or these rebel clubs in less than 24 hours? I bet we could.

8 Likes

Well, THIS is all a bit mad, isn’t it?

11 Likes
3 Likes

It must be serious!

:wink:

1 Like

Football evolves; like everything else.

LFC are in the fore front of this evolution, and we should be proud of our owners for not standing still…

Peeps should embrace it, and try and learn everything about it to be better fans for our club.

Glad to see you, even if the moment isn’t that auspicious.

In Love Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I acknowledged that things evolve in my post. That doesn’t mean you have to like the direction they’re evolving. We don’t have to stand still, but why not evolve in a way that involves the local fans and which provides an open and exciting competition? Why do I have to embrace decisions made by the owners in their interests with disregard for the supporters?

1 Like

How does this not involve local fans?

Still have the 20 team league split into two groups of 10.

Everyone still plays each other home and away so everyone has a minimum of 20 games.

Top 4 in each group go into the quarter finals which are played home and away same with semis then final at a pre chosen (hopefully) neutral location.

Bottom 3 sides in each group are “relegated” to next seasons other competitions (CL, EL, European conference) if they’ve qualified through normal methods.

The winners of CL, EL and European conference play the following season in the Super League. Losing finalist of CL goes in, losing finalist of Europa League plays losing finalist of European Conference for a spot. Losing semi finalists of CL and EL compete in a 4 team play off for the 3rd and final entry spot.

Whilst we are at it the winners of domestic cups qualify for the CHAMPIONS League from now if they’ve not already qualified for the Super League. If they’re in the Super League their spot goes to whoever they beat in the final.

Put some importance on the cup competitions again, especially as the big clubs would see it as insurance to at least qualify for Champions League if they get relegated from the Super League.

Those would be my suggestions.

1 Like