New European Super League

I saw the weather this morning but I mustn’t have been listening when they forecast a shitstorm.

3 Likes
5 Likes

:flushed:

That’s so dark @ISMF1!

4 Likes

After watching this video, I am moved by his passion.

I want to ask my fellow supporters brothers and sisters here on TAN that grew up in England: Do you agree with Gary? I didn’t grow up in your country so I am genuinely and earnestly curious, for those that grew up in England, if you feel as passionately about this as Gary does? Is he right or is he being dramatic?

1 Like

I’d call the bluff of UEFA and FIFA when it comes to “banning” the biggest clubs in the world - and their players - from their competitions. I find that to be a laughable threat.

But besides that, I’m not a fan of this proposal. I understand it from a financial perspective, but it saps a lot of the magic out of qualifying for a European competition.

I’d be curious to look back at the history of the Champions League in its current format and see how often the same 15 clubs qualified for it every year. Sure, you’ll have a few change here and there, with the Reds have a few years scattered about without qualifying. But generally, I’m guessing you always see some combination from the Top 6 in the EPL plus the rest of the biggest clubs in Europe.

2 Likes

It’s really a bit amusing tbf, uefa just wanted to announce its new, super duper great new CL format to make even more cash from it and out of nowhere, suddenly, a couple of rebellious clubs announce themselves they would rather do their own thing to make some bigger cash.

Everyone pretends to be completely shocked, but no one can publicly admit that they only want to keep the cake for themselves (of course).

If Uefa and the respective leagues / TV broadcasters had supported their top clubs more, maybe even involved them in some of the decisions, especially in these difficult times, it might not have come to that point (yet).

11 Likes
7 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Exactly what I said :slight_smile:

Gary Neville who is basically using cheat mode to boost his part owned club through the leagues by a rich sugar daddy? The hypocritical cunt.

4 Likes

From the BBC’s story:

“Uefa released a joint statement, together with England’s Football Association, the Premier League, the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), La Liga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) as well as Serie A, on Sunday.

They said they will “remain united” in trying to stop the breakaway, using both judicial and sporting measures if required.”

Surely there is no judicial measure possible as long as the clubs in question have honoured all current contracts? @Kopstar ?

1 Like

Doesn’t matter though, same goes for those on sky moaning, doesn’t matter it’s the fundamentals of the game, if people want to join this league then so be it, but it’s destroying the competitive nature of the game.

It’s not like any change we have seen before, the PL is not a comparison, the CL changes are not a comparison. Yes they’ve all locked in security for the big teams but not to the point that we play it every year with very little difference, the Milan clubs haven’t been at the elite of clubs for years with only this season seeing some sort of return.

Yea the game was lost to money a long time ago but I just don’t find the idea even that exciting.

2 Likes

Well I would assume that the leagues have the clout, they can bar clubs from their competitions. The clubs from what I gather still seem keen on playing domestically so it depends what’s written down, I remember the clause for the EFL being overwritten which meant the PL clubs could escape the EFL I read a history of its formation and at one point they felt they were tied in until they found something in 1894 which meant they could breakaway.

I would assume such a clause was overridden when they formed the PL, cannot think the PL would have made that same mistake when it formed.

1 Like

Also where does everyone think these games will take place, expect week games in China, the US and elsewhere

1 Like

Tbf, I think that many in Germany would be pretty happy if Bayern went to the Super League. :wink:
But since there are no super rich club owners allowed in the Bundesliga due to the 50 + 1 rule, the members / fans fortunately have a large say. That move would be impossible to enforce.

3 Likes

The 12 would expand over time anyhow, probably like MLS

I think my major concern is teams should play domestically and then if good enough in Europe, if this meant the end of domestic football then it would be dead to me from the start, also no doubt we will play only a third of our games at Anfield anyhow.

As I said I’m on record about how I feel about UEFA’s CL reforms, they we leave just as bad just with a few more clubs. One thing it doesn’t do is rip the very fabric of domestic football apart (that needs reform but this isn’t reform and to pretend it is would be a mistake).

I assume some of those bleating wouldn’t be dead against it if they were invited like the Null and Void lot last season.

2 Likes

Nah, Neville is a cunt. His hatred for it is making me love it.

5 Likes

Your enemies enemy is not your friend

2 Likes

Couldn’t give a shit. If it winds him up I’m all for it. Fuck the FA, fuck the EFL, fuck UEFA and fuck FIFA. Cunts, all of them.

3 Likes