New European Super League

No the answer is to force UEFA, FIFA and TV company controlled leagues to sit down and start discussing how to make things better for the clubs and their fans and less lucrative for those organisations. Announcing plans to break away and form a super league might do such a thing.

1 Like
16 Likes

It might… but you know it’s not going to.

we are a fucking disgrace having our name associated with this.

I sometimes think when things like this happen, when they tried to massively hike the ticket prices up - what would Shanks be thinking of this.

Fucking terrible for the working class game this.

2 Likes

Can you give me an example of what you think UEFA and FIFA can do to make things better for the fans… tv companies - granted can sort kick off times etc but that would be down to the PL to grow some bollocks and sort.

Nobody seemed to care when UEFA did it to the European Cup with the creation of the Champions League to make uefa more money.

3 Likes

Have you never seen how few tickets for CL and EL finals go to fans of the clubs involved? So many go to Fifa and uefa to make vast money on corporate deals and hospitality.

It’s their competition and the champions league is the best competition in world football. Why the fuck would they have left it as the European Cup format?

Plus if you have a product why not rebrand and make extra money on it?

It’s the same for the FA Cup and League Cup final.

It does fuck me off but are you suggesting you think any European Super League will be fan only and No Hospitality / corporate tickets?

Plus how much do you think these tickets will cost?!?

1 Like

So it would be perfectly fine if it was UEFA doing this? It’s only about the fact it’s the clubs benefitting and not UEFA?

A league with no relegation or promotion is pointless.
Struggling to see how city get in…they aren’t a super club as of today they’ve never won anything Europe and without dirty money they’d still be mid table. Same as Chelsea but they at least have 1 euro cup.

2 Likes

UEFA are the governing body - they can run their competitions as they want - seperate from each national competition.

A break away European Super League (UEFA driven or not) is complete bollocks and unacceptable

They get in coz of money… they’ve won what 5 league titles in the last 10 years (or whatever it is).

Spurs? European super league? Fucking hell they aren’t even the biggest club in north London

3 Likes

They’d be with the clubs to sell THEIR hospitality THEIR corporate THEIR fans. And that’s guesswork and assumption. You realise UEFA are making changes to the CL tomorrow that equal yet more money for UEFA, more agro for fans and hassle for clubs?

What do you actually think is being proposed? To me it’s exactly the same as when the European Cup turned into the Champions League just not done by UEFA who are left holding their dick in their hands with a vastly diminished “Champions” league. But you say it’d be unacceptable even if it was UEFA doing it now like it was them then which you approved of.

Yes I realise that. Like I said it’s their competition - they can do what they like with it.

Aggro for the fans? How so?

Of course the changes they make is going to generate more income for them. Do you think they should make changes that leads to them losing money?

The breakaway part of it is the part I don’t like and find totally unacceptable.

And it’s a good job that the “champions“ league is not just champions. A lot of big moments for this club in the last 20-30 years in Europe would have been lost otherwise.

1 Like

The not for profit international governing body of the game have cash reserves of $1.5 billion. They make huge demands of host countries for the world cup and couldn’t give a shit if all the infrastructure built for their tournament goes to shit or they award it a host with horrific human rights records. That’s who runs the world game and people are pointing fingers at clubs for their greed.

Countless officials from FIFA and UEFA have been caught up in scandal after scandal and the top of the game has been slowly ring fencing more and more money and power for themselves. TV money has changed the game forever and we’ve been happy to be part of that as well as demanding ever increasing sums be spent every window without a seconds thought on whether that was good for the game. We’ve seen the top four as minimum requirement so we can get into the big paying competition even though we’ve only really earned a place as Champions once.

We didn’t complain about any of this but each element was just another step towards this day. We can be outraged but we’ve been happy to go along with every step up to now providing it offered us even one iota more of a chance to win games and trophies.

Or as someone more succinctly put it on Twitter, “if you’re all of a sudden worried about the greed in the game then I’d say you’re about 30 years too late”

14 Likes

Well increasing the group stage to ten games, some will be against minnows with no real chance of progression and may be in the back of beyond, more games leading to more rearranged fixtures, more matches on more different viewing platforms meaning more subscriptions, just a few off the top of my head.

My understanding is the breakaway bit is from UEFA, otherwise I don’t understand the threats to kick these clubs out of their domestic leagues. Yes leaving the top league of English Football would be a deal breaker for me. Or it would if I believed this was any more than negotiation.

It’s like being in a prison, watching two inmates argue who is going to fuck you first.

There is no love or consideration what is good for us. It’s all about money and imposing their will.

Fans have been exploited far too long, and this is simply a continuation. What’s the best way of extracting money from fans.

13 Likes