New European Super League

He never! :flushed: Perez has totally lost the plot. We should sent all the kids amd pre-teens round his house.

1 Like

Good than I am one too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Honestly, posts like these hurts.

1 Like

It was not meant for the true fans from these areas, of which there are many.

I was just making the point that your casual fans who own a Liverpool shirt, a barca shirt, an inter shirt and have no idea about the football pyramid in the UK wonā€™t ā€œgetā€ that this is a bad idea for football, in this case the UK

1 Like

Thats rubbish sorry, Lim has invested 10s of millions of poundsā€¦ He is basically doing a City in the lower leagues. He is paying big money (for those levels) for players I.e. Ā£300k for 1 player is massive at that level.

Itā€™s Financial doping and goes against the very spirit of the gameā€¦ Thats why heā€™s a dirty hypocrite.

I honestly canā€™t believe Iā€™m reading what I amā€¦ City have done the same, invested in the surrounding city for exampleā€¦ It all masks fucking cheating and buying your way to the top. Itā€™s utterly corrupt and why the current structures are utterly unfit for purpose. Hence why anyone on this forum using ratboy as a poster boy is utterly deluded.

2 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s why I can take news like this without emotionā€¦ Henry for example hasnā€™t ever hidden what he is, where he came fromā€¦ Heā€™s an investment bankerā€¦ His goal in life is to make money.

As you say money likes money and probably allows a very risk averse and publicity shying Henry getting into bed with an utter charlatan like Perez.

Taken completely out of context to try and suit your point. You have no idea what heā€™s going to sort. He does not know the ins and outs either and is in an incredibly difficult position. What happens when John and Co do eventually have a meeting with him, as they will inevitably do and he comes around to the idea. Then what, people gonna turn on him too?

Save football?! Save Perezā€™ heavily indebted club, more like! I canā€™t stand the hypocrisy, does he think that everyone else is stupid? He and his friends in high places are trying to turn football into NBA - mostly because they are running their clubs into the ground by offering NBA wages to certain players, while not earning as much as NBA clubs. No disrespect meant to NBA fans but Iā€™m really not a fan of it and its system, it has no place in European football. Sky-high wages, clubs turned into franchises (imagine Liverpool FC being sold and moving to Birmingham or Sheffield), match-going fans always struck me as consumers in comparison to those in football and the whole system seems to be treating them exactly in that manner.

I really hope it doesnā€™t come to pass but we as fans are caught between a rock and a hard place here - regardless of whether our club(s) plays in ESL or reformed CL, part of the soul will be lost, owners will be driving a hard bargain to maximise the profit. Add the nonsensical implementation of VAR in England and lack of fansā€¦ After reaching its peak, my passion for football has reached itā€™s nadir in less than a year.

7 Likes

Letā€™s wait and see shall we.

Iā€™m from South Africa. What exactly am I not getting? Iā€™ve asked you in good faith to explain what exactly you are so outraged about and I have not got much of an answer.

5 Likes

The first lucid thing youā€™ve said all this time.

1 Like

I gotta be honest I think the way they have done it is better than City.

They are building something from the bottom up.

I appreciate that they have spent a lot more money than the clubs around them but that can be said for every league. There are your richer clubs and poorer clubs.

The only way around that is if you introduce a salary/transfer cap for each league.

As much as I hate to admit it, and I really do hate to admit it Iā€™d much prefer the way they are doing it than just some oligarch investing in whatever club he feels will bring him the most profit at that moment in time.

Plus with something like this I am more than willing to put the tribalism of football to one side and say the likes of Carra, Xabi Alonso, Ian Wright, Gary Neville et al are 100% spot on.

The argument is that this super league is going to destroy domestic football.

As youā€™re from South Africa I donā€™t expect you have a knowledge of domestic football in England or what it means to the people. Of course I maybe doing you a massive disservice here and If so I apologiseā€¦ I meant your normal fan in the streetā€¦ of course there are die hard Liverpool fans everywhere and was just using those countries to say football fans of the world who wouldnā€™t know about domestic football in England other than the ā€œtop 6ā€

Youā€™ve just confirmed his point

Which is what? That I am from South Africa? Big yay, so I will fuck off then shall I because I ā€˜dont get itā€™. The sense of entitlement is astounding.

How many of the 92 grounds should I have to go to in order to qualify? Not counting Bury, of course.

6 Likes

USA style ā€“ franchise, closed league, follow the money. Think of the Dodgers moving from New York to LA.

European style ā€“ promotion-relegation system where theoretically a team from a low league can make a fairytale run. Think Elton John with Watford going through all the way to second behind us in 1983.

Itā€™s a gigantic Darwinian struggle going on. ESL changes the whole ethos. Think of European basketball teams. They play in a promotion-relegation system as that is the culture of where they are, rather than using the American system.

The whole US system was developed due to the vast distances involved in the games. A whole tradition has been created from it. In the same way, the European system has a whole culture surrounding it.

So for me, itā€™s just a matter of principle that I prefer promotion-relegation style, Cinderella story possible system. But as others have mentioned, we are ā€œlegacyā€ fans. All hail the morally bankrupt ESL. And maybe a lot of new fans will like the American system. Thatā€™s their prerogative.

PS the weasels that are ESL will use top PR companies to make them seem like itā€™s an open system, when the end game is anything but.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve woken up in a different mood. This really is a terrible idea. And whilst change is inevitable, it doesnā€™t havenā€™t to be this change. Where do I sign?

I am also really not sure that the dirty dozen are in as strong of a position as they think. It will be a boring circus for plastic fans, any initial excitement will dry out within a few years. And there new ā€˜productā€™ will have serious competition. Man City and Chelsea have proven that new ā€˜Big Clubsā€™ can be born over night; West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds etc are just an oligarch away. And it doesnā€™t take the movement of many people either, Pep and Klopp move to West Ham and Newcastle, things start to look very different. Youā€™ll start to hear cockney accents saying ā€˜Iā€™ve supported Newcastle my whole life, my Mumā€™s hairdresser is a Geordie, so itā€™s in my bloodā€™. If the FA hold there nerve I think they will be ok. It also only takes one of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man Utd or Liverpool to walk away from the super league and this will start to crumble.

Are the consequences of not making the champions league really so great that it is worth risking destroying the whole club, surely not. Henry and the like, seem to really not understand what is at stake and what they could lose here.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a point of view though, certainly not a fact. As Iā€™ve said, the PL was going to kill domestic football. The CL was going to kill domestic football etc.

Not at all. He just said that people might be more likely to support this concept if they live further away, which is the case with you. No judgement intended. Everyone entitled to their views

1 Like

To be honest I think the difference is that England is quite parochial and among my friends, relatives and colleagues I have fans of Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man U, City, Leeds and Burnley. I donā€™t know anyone who supports Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus and I care nothing for those teams.

I may be wrong but I guess around the world the banter enjoyed by LFC fans is more likely to be with fans of the big european teams, hence the comments mentioned by another poster about fans interviewed in Uganda i think on the BBC. They would much rather see us play Real regularly than the likes of Fulham. I understand that ā€¦but I wouldnā€™t.

I think this is probably even more pronounced for fans of the other giant clubs in Spain and Italy who donā€™t even have the level of competition we enjoy in the EPL.

I have been watching Liverpool for nearly 70 years and yes, I am old and now donā€™t appreciate change so muchā€¦but we have the most competitive league and I donā€™t want to see it devalued just to please the money men. The hostility from fans in England (and especially those of the Sky 6) says it all.