New European Super League

:speaking_head: Florentino Perez exclusive interview for La Chiringuita:

“Football is going through a very tough situation, and the Super League will save the clubs financially. We came to the conclusion that having the Super League instead of the Champions League, we could help alleviate the lost income.”

“When you have no income other than broadcasting rights, you say the solution is to offer more attractive matches that allow fans from all around the world watch the big teams play against each other. Here at Real Madrid, we lost a lot of money and we are in a very bad situation.”

“Top clubs in Spain and England are coming to conclusions about fixing football. Madrid alone lost €400 million this season, nothing was being done about that. The more competitive games, the more revenue clubs will generate and that is how they will survive this situation. The Super League is the solution.”

"Football HAS to evolve. 40% of young people aren’t interested in football, because there are too many games of low quality. And we had to adapt. 16-24 year old fans aren’t interested in football. We have to change something to make this sport more attractive at a global level.”

“If we have more money, it will be better for EVERYONE, because we will be able to sign players from smaller clubs for a lot of money and help them too. All I do is for the good of football. This will be better for ALL clubs, not just the elite.”

“The Super League is like the Champions League. The Super League is NOT a closed league. That’s TOTALLY FALSE. It’s an open league that any good team can reach, regardless of the name.”

“We have FIFTEEN teams and another FIVE teams. It will NOT be a closed league. The five teams will EARN their place every season.”

“That new #UCL format will NOT save football. I don’t understand it, it won’t help anything. If you win, you receive €120 to 130m from UEFA but with Super League we will earn much MORE. We want to save football for the next 20 years. The Super League will do that.”

“UEFA is a MONOPOLY, they had to say what they said today. Our players will NOT be banned from the World Cup. I guarantee it. They can be 100% certain of it. Kicking us out from this season’s #UCL? Absolutely not. I guarantee it at a 100%. They can’t kick us out from this season’s #UCL, and that they can’t kick us out from our domestic leagues. Totally impossible. It’s over. Their monopoly is over. It’s time for a new era.”

“Sevilla is one of the clubs that can enter the League. It will not be closed. We believe in what the clubs can offer so they will fight to play in the competition.”

“They (UEFA) believe we’re their property and they can do whatever they want with us, and they’re wrong. With all due respect, we want to save football. We have to make it so that in the next 20 years no club loses €200 million. The situation is tragic.”

“We have NOT invited PSG. If Bayern refuses to join we won’t cancel it, don’t worry.”

“The Champions League is attractive only from the quarterfinals. Nobody cares about the games before.”

“The UEFA president insulted Agnelli today, and that is unacceptable. It’s ridiculous that the UEFA president can allow himself to insult the president of a huge European club. We don’t need these type of people in football. Disrespectful and unacceptable.”

“Without the Super League, football will DIE before 2024. Big and small clubs will die. We want to start as soon as possible. We will talk to UEFA and FIFA, but they should not get angry, they know that.”

“This change, we owe it to all the fans. Everything surrounding football will be improved with the Super League. Barcelona are going through a difficult economic situation, Laporta immediately understood and accepted like all the great clubs in the world. This Super League will save the entire world of football.”

“One of our clubs panicking and leaving? No, they already signed. The contract is binding, nobody will leave. There is no going back. We’ve been working on this project for 20 years now.”

“I know the salary of Lebron James, but not UEFA president. Transparency? Eh, no, there’s not. UEFA does not have a good image throughout it’s history, don’t make me talk. If UEFA want to wait for 2024 to make the reform, they can wait. We’re not waiting for anyone.”

“This isn’t a battle for money, this is a battle for football. We’re trying to save football, and some people don’t care because it’s not in their financial interest.”

Without the latter, Chelsea and Manchester City would be nowhere. Not sure their supporters are as opposed to this as are supporters of the four historically successful clubs.

3 Likes

Personally, I am pretty sad to see the effect the matter has had on this place.

6 Likes

Should they have just not asked them anything? Hahaha

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Christ Almighty…

My Spanish isn’t so good, but I think he is saying, ‘We have screwed the pooch, despite winning everything in sight for the last 15 years, and we need this bailout…BAD…’

4 Likes

The irony of that is that kids can’t afford to watch football now… let alone when ticket prices inflate in the super league

2 Likes

Fuck me. They’re interviewing a Liverpool fan from Uganda on Radio 4. Another one in Dubai saying the same thing- having big names is the only thing that matters.

These are exactly the sort of global “future fans” that the ESL wants.

5 Likes

He isn’t going to come out and say “ye I dunno what the fuck John Henry was think to be honest” is he.

Couldn’t you tell that he was furious? Him and the players and the managers and players of all the (hahah) big 6 have been thrown under the bus by their owners who will avoid having to answer questions in front of the cameras.

Perez is a twat but at least the bloke is fronting it up

Pardon my ignorance, but bar Liverpool weren’t all these other clubs in debt and were looming with the possibility of getting fucked over (Utd for example) if they couldn’t sustain a constant challenge domestically and in Europe? I was hoping they go down, but could this unnecessarily mean that they will now have found a way out, whereas we already a financially sound run club do not get a advantage of us being so careful and shrewd over the years?

2 Likes

I was having a “discussion” a while back with a poster on here about Burnley. He admitted he didn’t know whereabouts in England Burnley was and said he didn’t care…

Pathetic isn’t it

Considering Neville is currently financially doping his new club through the same pyramid he keeps whining about protecting via his buddy Peter Lim… I’ll refrain from using that little prick as anything but a self serving hypocritically sky working prick thanks.

6 Likes

It’s quite a sobering thought that we may never be in Anfield again for a PL or UCL game again.

No more Merseyside Derbies…

1 Like

I just can’t for the life of me take this guy seriously.

3 Likes

He’s a car crash, cant believe Henry would work with someone like him… so disappointing.

2 Likes

I was going to write the same thing. We know what a hypocrite this man is, but at least, he accepts to deliver his point of view in front of the media, and face the tough questions being asked. Whereas the other cowards are hiding, the whole bunch of fsg included. Shame on them.

That being said, it doesn’t make any of the ideas he defends more palatable. He’s a twat indeed.

4 Likes

Well it’s no surprise because both of them (and the others) share one thing in common…

1 Like

You can imagine that the idea of this thing to a football fan from China, or South Africa or Canada or Saudi Arabia is really appealing.

They just don’t (and to be fair shouldn’t be expected) to “get it”

Just reinforcing my point. Juvenile “bants” over reasoned discussion.

Yes but at the very least he started at the bottom, invested in a club in his local area and has provided infrastructure for that club and has a long term project in mind.

All of these owners have spent their mountains of wealth buying a ticket to the top table rather than working their way there.