New European Super League

Klopp most certainly did not agree with them!

His comments are far more nuanced…

Asking players to comment on an issue like this at this time is simply designed to achieve a pre-existing agenda…

2 Likes

It’s not just the money though and then we have issues about exactly where would they be sourcing it from [looks towards Qatar :eyes:] given it’s clearly not potential untapped sponsorship streams.

If that’s a true story it would go a long way to indicating how much UEFA is shitting itself about this.

2 Likes

At the heart of this problem is the issue that clubs are carrying too much liability in terms of operating costs. The price of competing at the level that Liverpool, Real, Barca etc, compete at is so great that a season out of the CL would be fucking devastating - and this can just be bad luck, as happened to Liverpool this year.

Still don’t agree with it, but it isn’t just greed. That’s too simplistic a take, and it’s why I’ve got a problem with Neville and Carra kicking off on Sky. That company is part of the problem. They kick started the spiralling inflation in the costs of competing that got us here

Personally I don’t think bribing the ESL clubs with more money is the solution. UEFA and the domestic leagues need to get serious about getting the Wild West capitalism that is running amok in the game under control.

10 Likes

Did you listen to them tonight?

I’ve seen bit of it.

Totally agree with this, but the answer isn’t letting the billionaire owners turbo charge this. Can only hope that the real, visceral outrage can somehow drive change, or a complete reset.

Ultimately we have to talk about player salaries

1 Like

Yes. Completely agree. If this does go ahead I think a salary cap and/or stronger FFP requirements are going to happen.

1 Like
1 Like

Is there any doubt that the ESL would be absolutely catastrophic for UEFA? Their overwhelming fury - the rhetoric they’ve used to describe the ESL clubs - all smells like fear to me.

3 Likes

I hope it doesn’t go ahead and these things happen

I also wonder if you’d see the players of those clubs unionize to collectively bargain any salary restrictions, as they have in the States.

The players already have a collective bargaining body in the PFA, but it’s a fucking shambles of the highest order.

3 Likes

I’m a bit ignorant about this, but my understanding is that there is no collective bargaining agreement between the clubs and their players. That the PFA is an association of players, but it doesn’t actually represent players in employment negotiations in the same way a union would.

In the States, clubs cannot enforce a salary cap without a collective bargaining agreement with the players, as that would be deemed as illegal collusion otherwise.

2 Likes

Perez, among other things he said tonight:

“If young people say football matches are too long, we need to either make it more interesting or maybe even make them shorter.”

:joy: :joy: :joy:

He also says young people need more top games so they don’t look at tablets all the time.

This man is really taking the piss now.

5 Likes

A few things piss me off about this to be honest.
It is another step in taking football away from where it began…ie the ordinary people.
It is all about greed.
The fact that FSG announced it before mentioning to the players and the Manager confirms that.
As it is a restricted competition how long will it be before the people who can afford it get jack of watching the same teams playing their own.
Seems many players aren’t over the moon about it,and certainly a lot of supporters aren’t either.
Memo to the greedy bastards behind this…the supporters made this game,they needed to be considered.
But let’s not stand in the way of the owners and their hoped for windfall.

2 Likes

If kids can’t concentrate for 90 minutes, test cricket really is fucked!

3 Likes

That’s one of the most embarrassing things I’ve read yet. What an absolute fuck you to everyone that has supported their clubs religiously. Fans of the future that want superstar names? Then how do Tom Werner and John Henry plan to compete? Or do Lebron, Serena, and Drake (the 3 names used in the Nike v New Balance case) count as the superstar names?

It’s almost as cringe inducing as the plans that weasel American fuck Alan Pace has for Burnley and how he plans to transform the way fans “consume” Burnley football content in the digital realm. He’s seeking a global digital market for Burnley Football Club that “has been largely untapped”. The most hilarious part of that he says he “watches the way [his] kids view one and two minute clips on the internet” and it gives him a better idea how he’s going to lead Burnley into a “digital revolution.”

I’ve heard the terms “commodity”, “customer” and “content” more in the past week in football circles than I have in the last 5 years combined.

The most cringy thing I heard today was on Sky - a quote from a board member at a Top 6 club that said “the wider good of the game is a secondary concern” to maximizing revenue and profits.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN2Qe-AlkV4/?igshid=1r6pb6gi2k4w6

a dark few days in the history of this football club,throwing away 130 years of history to make a quick buck.

how can the club market the 6 european cup wins now when they don’t even think its a competition worth entering? paint over the wall of champions at anfield and the training ground.

if we dont get top 4 this year its our own fault, if leicester and west ham qualify for the champions league then they deserve to be there. in the past 5 years we’ve been knocked of europe by the likes of fc basel,besiktas & sevilla. under this proposal we’ll never play them again.

even if we are allowed to stay in premier league, what is the incentive for the board to improve the team when we are guaranteed elite euro qualification every year?

i’m disgusted, if this goes through i’m done, i’ll spend my time supporting one of the lower league clubs nearby.

7 Likes

These founding clubs, when they formed the ESL, would never have wanted or allowed themselves to be kicked out of their own domestic leagues. UEFA would never allow them to compete in their own domestic leagues sanctioned by UEFA and still allow the ESL to take over the CL etc. Meaning both sides are trying to tell each other, you cannot have your cake and eat it. This all means both parties after the initial stages of posturing, will sit down at the table and discuss how they can scrap more money from people like us and from commercial sponsors so that both FIFA and UEFA and the top clubs can get even more money together. I have said this in the Owners Thread. The ESL is not the problem. Greed is greed in football. There is no better greed or worse greed. WHatever it is, be sure the top clubs will only make more money down the road and its not going to be from cutting what FIFA and UEFA’s coffers.

3 Likes