NON Breaking News Stories

What a novel approach to helping people get onto the housing ladder.

1 Like

A lot of that attitude from Singapore’s govt has had to do with China’s experiences due to the opium war. Keep in mind that Singapore’s population is largely Chinese (75%+)

Lesson 1: never outrage the Indian jobless troll army. Their overwhelming numbers make twitter a bigger cesspool

they have something called co-op housing here, where your rent is a ratio of your income submitted on your tax returns. But that’s not for ownership, so good concept.

Fairly common I expect. In many Australian states, public housing rent is linked to income and capped - often around 25%. Of course if there is a dearth of it available, and residents can stay as long as they wish, this doesn’t really help those seeking housing and basically just (relatively) privileges the existing tenants. In Canberra there were/are many cases of relatively well off singles on 100k + income occupying 3/4 bed homes in plush neighbourhoods - including in one instance a local Green’s MP - whereas crisis accommodation is not available and mothers with children fleeing domestic violence etc often apparently have to resort to living in their cars.

As someone who has made lots out of property and therefore could be said to have a vested interest in high house prices/rents, I am an advocate of significantly increasing the stock of public housing. However I think this would work best if tenure in public housing was limited and tenants could be kicked out after (say) 3 years, pending an assessment of their needs vs others. A public housing system with a long waiting list is a clear indication of (market and govt) failure and ideally should serve to support people in crisis and also to set the marginal price to keep rents fairly stable and affordable.

I think you’re right on both of these. Some folks would never live assisted living situations purely due to lack of motivation. I’ve seen it.

So, the solution is to kill them all? Or else, what is the solution then?

actual prison time for serious and repeat offenders. the users are just pawns in the game. the dealers and distribution networks (gangs) are the ones who are pulling the strings. RCMP created a whole division to combat this, however the courts themselves are seeming unable to keep a large portion of those off the streets for any length of time so the situation perpetuates itself.

example, this guy should never be walking the streets again. threat to society.

1 Like

What do you think about legalisation of drugs combined with crackdowns on the existing supply networks?

1 Like

The police have to try something. Legalized cannabis here in Canada has made safe, consistent (if not inferior) supply to the general public through online/retail outlets and has degraded the revenue streams for the illegal market. the street price of AA-and-above grade cannabis dropped from $1800/lb to $800/lb within a year.

3 Likes

skippery slope with opiods. Look at the mess created with Oxy and Perc’s and those are prescription. They actually did a documentary on it.

I don’t like how marijuana/cannabis gets lumped in with heroin and crack, they really aren’t the same.

2 Likes

Speaking as someone who’d never even smoked a joint, starter drugs?
Get hooked then look for something stronger?
I don’t actually know.

That theory has long been debunked by the research, if I recall correctly. Gateway drugs are nothing more than fearmongering.

1 Like

On its own, maybe. I wonder how much research went into the peer pressure aspect of the culture as well as the nature of the dealer. That by dint of being around users of weed one is naturally exposed to users, and pushers, of harder drugs.

‘go on, don’t be a fucking pussy. Have it’. ‘fuck off to mommy, this here is for big boys’.

Or

‘sorry, all out of the ganja, have some of this and see’

And boom, all it takes is the once in some cases and it’s down the rabbit hole. The drug itself maybe doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a given that one will go down the path of no return but frequenting that crowd almost certainly lends one to be exposed to it.

I’m not sure how one would even structure research around that aspect.

Anecdotally however, I think most weed users I know do not want to touch the harder stuff and wouldn’t touch anything if it wasn’t weed.

Taking a drug once does not ensure addiction either. There are lots of factors that go into why someone gets addicted to a drug, and its psychoactive properties are barely important in this. It’s often the same things behind other addictions, like sex, alcohol, or gambling.

That said, it feels as though those issues would/could be resolved by legalisation.

1 Like

Growing up i knew a good number of( mostly lads) who ended up on heroin.These lads started on petrol,gas and/or glue.Early days very few of them smoked hash.I don’t think it mattered what they started on,they were always going to end up on something stronger.I also knew lads who only smoked hash and done nothing else.Maybe addiction comes down to more than the drug alone.

2 Likes

Could set a hell of a precedent.

1 Like

Saw that this morning.

First they remove tobacco and cigarettes from duty free list (now you are only allowed 1 packet of cigarettes) and now they ban vaping. Creedy cuntbag fuckers

This leaves me spewing about how much this shit is gonna cost me when I’m back there for xmas