OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

As we saw in the Euros the worst issues seemed to arise from the English Refs

1 Like

Don‘t know where to post it, so I‘ll do it here.
In Germany it is reported that ref Bibiana Steinhaus-Webb, wife of Howard Webb, will stop her work at the DFB and will work for the PGMOL in England.
In what postion isn‘t decided yet.
I personally do rate her high, she‘s a better ref than some of her male colleagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHJV1xmiiFU

Ladies + Gentlemen…
I give you, Mrs Howard Webb…
Her eyesight must be as bad as his.!!

Her tits aren’t as big though

1 Like

Fixed that for you. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

So you mean PGMOL works for ManU?
Hm, didn‘t know that. Not long enough on here.

1 Like

More like, against Liverpool.

2 Likes

Brentford v Arsenal.

How is their second goal allowed to stand?! If the keeper plays for the foul he gets rewarded.

We saw on multiple occasions last season Mané getting properly fouled in the box but him being, what I assume, too proud to go down and him not getting rewarded. So the refs only reward divers??

I’m fucking mad that they’ve made all these VAR improvements for the season and in the very first game, they couldn’t even get the basics right.

1 Like

While I thought it was a clear foul, holding is a bit of a judgement call and that isn’t VAR is supposed to be used for. It’s going to be rare that VAR is used to overturn ones like that.

From the first couple of games already,i sense VAR is still not going to be used properly,it’s going to go from one extreme last season,with every small foul,penalty or offside being scrutinised to the faintest touch or to the exact millimeter,to the other extreme where certain things that should be deemed a foul/penalty/offside not being looked at and let go,i could be wrong but thats the feeling i’m getting.

Yeah we’ll see. I liked the refereeing in the ManU-Leeds game though, seemed to me like a continuation of how the EC was reffed. Very few soft fouls I thought.

Maybe not relevant to VAR though.

1 Like

Overall the ref was ok BUT there was no effort given by VAR or the ref for the Maguire trip on Roberts for a penalty at the end of the game (which i’ve mentioned earlier in the premier thread),last season that was a nailed on penalty as he took out his trailing leg.

Ok,if it was given it wouldn’t have mattered cos it still would have been 5-2 but in tight games this is a fine margin that could cost a team the title or relegation,so from now on,should we expect any trailing leg taken out by a defender crossing the back of an attackers path,not be looked at by VAR or considered a penalty? time stamp this post cos United have just got away with one,i can guarentee there will be a few more of these this season and the next will probably be a pen.

VAR
OOOO
YEAH
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing

1 Like

I much prefer the way VAR is being used this season. I like that the games are flowing more. I’ve not seen a bad game yet. I am sure that fans returning has influenced their thinking on this because football was almost unwatchable last season because of VAR and things could have got ugly if crowds had been in. They’ve still got to get the balance right but it’s a major improvement on what has gone before.

1 Like

Had my first experience on Saturday of being in the stadium when VAR ruled out goal out.

Just went completely flat after it.

the problem is that we still don’t see consistency in their decisions. last week united scored a goal that looked offside. no lines. then salah scores one and the lines are out

edit: thanks @BillyBiskix and @richieh_10 for correcting me on that.
(i still doubt the integrity of var tho)

1 Like

They did use lines for the Fernandes goal. BT didn’t show it on the live coverage.

1 Like

VAR uses the lines for every offside goal.

Whether or not the broadcaster shows the picture is up to them I guess

3 Likes

I looked at Salah’s with the lines and I agreed, compared to the Everton and Villa ones last season it’s not even comparable.

If the game had ended 1-1 I still wouldn’t be thinking it different, we won that Villa game but the decision was still ludicrous, about as clear as fog.

This. They will no longer broadcast the process of finding the finally official set of lines, but are supposed to broadcast that final image (with the thicker lines). Whether the broadcasters choose to show it is another matter.

2 Likes