OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Well that rules out City then. It would have been flat beforehand as well.

probably kind of quiet and echoey

As I always say yes we get some rotten decisions against us but I still maintain its utter shite refs above everything else.

Crazy that’s not given after VAR you see his foot bend with the impact from Telles kicking him.

1 Like

VAR - a way to deflect heat from the on field refs, and give themselves time to brief their pals (Dermot being one), of why they agree with decisions, whilst they make it up as they go along.

1 Like

Yeah generally VAR has actually worked well this season but it depends on who is in charge.

I think part of the confusion over some VAR decisions is still centered on us not knowing what the actual ref thought he saw in real time. An important part of VAR that continues to be missed in the discussion over its use is that it doesn’t ref the incident independently. It uses the footage to see if the ref’s descriptions of things are objectively wrong. If the ref said to VAR “I know there was contact on his foot, but it was noting and Jesus was just looking for a reason to go down”, something that refs have had explicit instruction to look for this season, there is nothing VAR can do.

Essentially good VAR can only do so much to fix a bad ref with the current philosophy of it not being used to reref games.

3 Likes

True I think offside has improved on the whole.

If Pawson didn’t think it was a red in replay then he should have been offered that opportunity to look.

Agree the lack of transparancy compounds it.

It won’t happen but they should be mic’d up like rugby refs are. Never really seen a rugby ref have a terrible game. But then again there is respect in that game. Zero in football, refs in the lower leagues are really subjected to some terrible abuse, so it’s no suprise the ones who do make it to the top level are all snide little egotistical bastards.

2 Likes

It’s also baffling from a playing perspective, that in my experience the refs who talked you through a game where the ones who kept the lid on the game the best. Nothing sparks terrible challenges like the players collectively not being understand what perspective the ref has in making his decisions.

1 Like

100%. gives the usual pre-match spiel about talking back and keeping it clean. first sign of aggressive tackles, he whistles it down and has a chat with a warning. sets the tone early.

we had an excellent match on Saturday, albeit in 60km/h winds… because the ref did his job and let us play within the rules and physical limits of a 35+ league. We are normally in a 45+ league but with Covid effectively shutting down half the league we got grouped with the younger teams. Ref recognized this and gave a bit of leeway when it came to our ability to match the speed of the lads who in some cases were 15 yrs younger than some of our guys. We just couldn’t keep up to their movement.

2 Likes

Yeah but we know why we won’t see that, they are thick as shit…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvPfQxNmXHU

1 Like

Interesting to note during the Leeds game last night there was a call for penalty it wasn’t obvious and the Palace player did go down easier than he could but Ally McCoist did quite rightly suggest it was a foul and would be elsewhere.

Was one of those WWE holds, anyhow Clattenburg is in the studio, nah not a penalty, fair enough but why is it not? Apparently “football is a contact sport” I get that with shoulder barges, fouls and 50/50 there is nowhere in the rules that say a wwe hold is not a foul.

Utter bullshit and I was on the fence before hand as I said it is one I wouldn’t give but if that’s the reason and others like those against Burnley are not given that is shit.

I would say he has gone to ground easy but he is right to ask it, just not enough for me.

It’s pointless asking them as they are all of the same club, which is the opposite of the pundit who has no money in eithier corner.

Apparently the threshold has increased so I assume you now have to piledrive the bloke.

3 Likes

To be fair I think VAR has been improved a lot this season and I can’t recall any really contentious calls…more refs have gone to the screen which has also worked well.

To be fair I have no problems with VAR and I don’t think it was enough to be overturned I just found Clattenburg’s comments to be very odd.

I also think the thickness of lines has helped the offside process.

1 Like

There is no larger gulf in the world than the one between the regard Clattenburg has in the game vs his ability to explain his interpretation of incidents. I have genuinely never seen him provide clarity to a situation…he just provides his opinion on the outcome not the factors that go into his decision.

2 Likes

Yeah, the step change to getting the on field referee to make the decision is the right one and has been a good step forward. I’d like to see it move even further in that direction to be honest. VAR gives the evidence, the referee gives the decision.

2 Likes

So you’re saying there isn’t a country wide conspiracy against us?

Massive VAR failure today. Love Jurgen’s comments about not knowing if anyone was at the helm at VAR before Robbo’s red. Tierney was having a howler, but doesn’t VAR exist to help smooth him over a bit. The boys at VAR control really should have whispered in his ear a couple more times and had him take the second look. He might not reverse his penalty decision because his logic is idiotic (but he might just if he has to watch it again and have a think), but surely if he sees the Kane tackle…

6 Likes

Didn’t we used to get captions on the screen when they checked it? I don’t even think they bother when they don’t.

I assume they have to be stretchered off for a red card as the two I remember Keita and Elliott did.

2 Likes

Tierney’s logic for the Jota non-penalty is the kind of statement that just beggars belief…
How many times have we seen Mo stop dead in the penalty area to re-position himself while defenders go sliding passed to go and get a hot-dog… by Tierney’s interpretation, these defenders would be better off to wipe Mo out.! No penalty will be given because MO should not have stopped…!!!
I said it earlier… the referee’s performance has Mike Riley’s greasy little fingerprints all over it…

1 Like