OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

On BT last night Macca seemed obsessed by the position of the Napoli player’s feet. Can’t tell if he’s off. Can’t see his feet. VAR might struggle because his feet are obscured by the Liverpool player. But his feet are onside.

I just despair of the state of punditry.

2 Likes

I just mute it each time and listen to nice music instead.

2 Likes

The bar for a player who doesnt touch the ball being given offside is high, higher than most fans like for the situations it cause. See Nunez’s impact on Gabriel’s botched clearance leading to his goal in the Arsenal game.

Being in an offside position and doing something that affects a defenders decision making (Konate choosing to go with Oshimen) is not enough to be offside. For it to be it would have to be determined that Oshimen directly prevented Konate clearing or Ali making the save and that is viewed pretty literally.

I understand you’d be mad in this case if it was given, and I made the point that the current interpretation often creates a sense of unfairness. I was just airing what I’d have expected to be given based on how the active/inactive part of the rule is typically interpreted.

2 Likes

I just saw the highlights of the Spurs game. That they allowed the first Spurs goal, after the Leeds keeper got bundled into the back of a net after being clattered by a Spurs player challenging for and completely missing the first cross, is absurd. Taken with the decisions on the Guedes non-penalty and the one in the Brighton game, I wonder if we’re seeing an increased unwillingness of VAR to get involved in response to how much criticism VAR has received. Because to me all 3 of those were not just fouls, but were in the category where the VAR protocol gives a lot of room for VAR to get involved.

2 Likes

Dale Johnson claims there was only an initial perfunctory review of offside to see if it was was worth reviewing the foul. Had he deemed it a foul worth calling for a pitch side review he’d then have gone back to do a full review of the offside, and as that didnt happen we can conclude that we got the decision we did because VAR didnt think it was a penalty.

I can see the ref not giving it because from the first two views I saw it was impossible to see who got there first, but there was one VAR angle that clearly shows Guedes getting his foot to the ball and then being tripped by Saliba’s challenge. With a clear look at what happened, I just have no idea how challenging for the ball, not getting there and tripping the forward isnt a foul. There is no explanation of the incident the ref could have given to justify not giving it that was consistent with those images which leaves a really wide open door for VAR to intervene.

1 Like

It’s an obvious penalty from the replay.

There is literally no grey to that.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by this idea, sounds like it could work.

1 Like

I’m intrigued by what language they will use. I assume say in a European match it will be the home side but I could be wrong.

It’s a much needed step forward, but still likely to be inadequate.

LiVARpool?
Get fucked

Have an issue with that table as it’s not even, take offside most of the time it’s a failure of the linesman not a team has got lucky.

Like the Man City foul in the build up to their chalked off goal, a blind man could have spotted that but it took VAR. The offside against Everton was obvious they are failures by the officials to do their job.

I assume that’s 3 of the 6

2 Likes

VAR :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Other than the 4 clear decisions that should’ve been overturned/were wrongly overturned this weekend, thought they had a blinder.

I just can’t :cold_face: :cold_face:

But the best 1 came in the West Ham Chelsea game and not to award a pen against Soucek…truly remarkable.

1 Like

I would say the offside is worse.

Automated offside you think well yeah but the idea is that you are manually doing this. Like that Villa goal a few years back.

I don’t watch a lot of PL at the moment but I’m watching Italy and Spain and the issues just aren’t there. Once or twice maybe but it just seems the incompetence is mostly limited to one league.

1 Like

Was no need for VAR here. Atwell staring right at it from 5 feet away. Total incompetence

4 Likes

It’s ridiculous, we’re talking about stakes of more than just a few million pounds here.

The elephant in the room is that the PGMOL is piss-poor and no one has any will or power to do anything about it.

2 Likes

An apology is no good…PMGOL sadly failed football again…if you can use VAR immediately and SKY or BBC can view the incident within seconds…why can’t the inform the ref…to check the screen…it was so obvious yesterday that the ref was biased towards Arry’s crew…

2 Likes

He was biased. There is a serious consideration that corruption is afoot.

2 Likes