OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Time to now consider that VAR is actually fucking useless.

1 Like

There’s PGMOL’s view on yesterday’s Mitoma incident. They just slagged off Mike Dean, but things do not seem to be improving.

The goal West Ham scored was laughable, Lino stood next to Coufal but nope won’t see he’s juggled the ball to bring in under control before getting the cross in.

This failure is a limitation of the VAR protocol, of how the officials are directed to use it.

The protocol for how VAR is to be used is based on 2 principles - 1) the ref needs to be the sole decision maker, 2) it needs to be used in a way that minimizes stoppages. That means the protocol doesn’t allow VAR to simply over rule a ref if it thinks the ref has made a bad decision or a decision it disagrees with. And it isn’t to be used to just give the ref another go at making a difficult decision. So if the ref has seen something clearly (the VAR has audio connection to the ref to hear the ref’s explanation of what has been seen and what the basis of a decision is) but gives a decision the VAR disagrees with the VAR cannot do anything about it.

I think the philosophy the protocol is based on is the right one. You dont want even more stoppages, and you dont want even more confusion from 2 different people making subjective decisions on what is a foul and what isnt. But the protocol they have implemented based on that philosophy is incredibly unsatisfying. You cannot fix this by simply replacing the people involved, improving training or tweeking the protocol. They need an entire root and branch evaluation of what they want VAR to be able to do and what they’re ok with it not doing, using examples from the last few seasons where the outcome has been unsatisfactory, and rebuild the protocol around that. Key though has to be communication to proactively fend off the bad takes in the media from people whose criticisms are based on misunderstandings of the rules and/or protocol. It is absurd that in the prem the only feedback we get on what happened and why is from an independent journalist (Dale Johnson) who pieces things together from the various bits and pieces of evidence available.

1 Like

Just posted on PL thread…Leeds man cheating and within 20 seconds its shown on the big screen…

Penalty not given this weekend in Bundesliga. Potentially a title deciding decision

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1652728916975419400?s=20

Treating this like a Prem specific problem totally misses the point

There’s no way that was not given as a pen & even if it wasn’t, we get these calls 10 times a week in the Prem. Elsewhere it happens maybe once a month.

It wasn’t given and there was also another one for handball not given in the same match.

Ref apologized for it two days later.

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of comments on Twitter from fans of other clubs saying that Diogo’s high boot challenge should have been a red card? I only saw it live from far away so have no idea. But the lad who sits in front of me at the match said he’d seen a video of the tackle on Luis that led to the penalty and that one should have been a red.
Overall I thought that the officials were really poor for both teams today. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The tackle didn’t lead to the penalty, it led to nothing, not a yellow, not a free kick it ended up being a throw and pass back to them.

It was a joke.

It was nasty and I can understand why it didn’t get a red but it was nothing less than that, to not even give a free kick was shocking.

Yes, my bad. I got confused about the penalty. But in my opinion that tackle deserved a red. If he walks then Diogo can’t foul him. So there’d be no red/yellow card debate. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Definately a red. No bones about it. Liked Klopp’s answer when told Mason was was whinging. He asked " Did he say anything about Schipp? Another poor tackle was Hojberg on Eliott 2nd half toucjline. A throw given.

1 Like
  1. Listening to people on twitter is your first mistake :stuck_out_tongue: and

2. In my view, it was similar to Mane’s red card against City in 2017 when 1 player is legitimatelly trying to play the ball and someone tries to headbut their foot :wink:

2 Likes

It’s absolutely transparent that Tierney has a grudge against Liverpool.

Isn’t that the first penalty he has ever awarded us, and I think we know why. He doesn’t give it on 0-0, or even 1-0. He certainly doesn’t give it at 3-2 or 3-3.

2-0 at Anfield, looking like Spurs are going to get whacked. Yeah, why not. Have a pen.

Plus you can’t get a more stone wall penalty.

Strangely most penalty decisions I see nowadays you can question or second guess, as soon as I saw it you couldn’t not give it and it was never being overturned.

My only doubt was Salah scoring it.

Good riddance.

1 Like

He retired last year to be honest from the pitch.

And sadly he is far from the worst of them.

He was the picture of the unflappable non-partisan. If only there were dash cam footage from the VAR booth.

Didn’t a ref celebrate one of ours once?

Then claim he was celebrating his good decision to play on.