OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Yeah; it was Mike Reed against Leeds.

1 Like

Crazy as it is and I did it for one game in my ref career, both hands up is a goal.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/football-referee-signals-images-meaning

I just shouted goal after one player accused me of celebrating.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/GrizzKhan/status/1692923374945616195?t=AS55byw6Le4r8CXzGC2eCQ&s=19

This is never a red. Hopefully can be overturned by appeal as a 3 game ban is not fair.

Paul Tierney was on VAR…unsurprising.

3 Likes

It needs downgrading to a yellow for him to be able to play next week

Never ever a red card, simply has to be rescinded. No 2 ways about it.

It’s late and high that’s it…both their foots are off the ground…it’s not wreckless, it’s not forceful and he’s not out of control.

It won’t be sadly but it’s not a red to be honest.

Yellow at most.

1 Like

Mike Dean was on Soccer Saturday. This was his view…that i do not agree with. If he doesnt go for the challenge there you might as well sit down and play a card game. Also its arguable that the player kicked the bottom of Maccas boot.

"He’s gone in quite high. There’s not a lot of force in the challenge but he has caught him quite high. It’s just a lazy leg.

"He probably doesn’t need to make the challenge. He has caught him on the shin.

"It’s not a wrong decision by the referee. He’s gone in with his studs showing and he’s caught him on the shin.

“VAR would have looked at it. They’re happy with Tom’s [referee Thomas Brammall] decision and the game moves on.”

Mike Dean here on screen today… Fans have said this other image springs to mind :0)

1 Like

Davros was competent

Mike Dean? More like Bobby Davro than Davros.

1 Like

We all knoww the outcome Mac Allister will be get his 3 game ban, i hope the all drop dead.

The Tin foil hat brigade says hello to the doubters.

New York Yankees Baseball GIF by ESPN

1 Like

The Arsenal penalty overturn: correct decision for me. VAR operated as it should do.

However, the crux of the problem is that this rarely happens. Even if the contact if slight (see Rashford last week) then VAR usually would say something like well there was contact so the on field decision stands.

Some teams get the decisions more often than not in their favour.

It’s really good use case to illustrate what situations VAR has power.

Taylor gave the penalty because he thought that Havertz went over the outstretched foot of AWB. The footage shows there was actually no contact here and Havertz actually went down under different contact, thigh to thigh one stride later. That difference allows VAR to tell the ref he didnt see the incident clearly and should come to the monitor to review it again.

What was interesting about this incident is normally the ref will see the contact he thought was there did not happen and move on, but in this case there was another contact, and so had to follow up call on whether it was still a penalty, but for a different reason than he initially gave it. According to reports, Taylor chose to overlook that thigh to thigh contact because he thought Havertz dangled his leg trying to create it when the initial contact he was looking for didnt come.

This is a great example of how the dialogue, either live or broadcast after the fact, would clarify the decision making but instead we have to make good with off the record communication from the PGMOL and educated guesses.

So weirdly, Webb pushed the Webb and Owen show forward 24 hours without very little announcement. It has not posted in the US yet, but these are reportedly the incidents their review covered

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1699135807921991802?s=20

So VAR thought he was onside, too, and Hooper misinterpreted as VAR confirming the call being offside. That’s crazy. And these people all wearing headsets.

1 Like

Ah it all makes sense now, it’s basic English which all these officials struggle with.

Is VAR not able to see the lino has put his fucking flag up after Diaz scores? Or over that headset they’re wearing is there a massive bubble where each operate in their own little way?

1 Like

It’s been reported as the other way round. VAR thought it was given as a goal, and said onfield decision.

We are saying the same thing. The linesman had raised his flag, apparently.