OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

“Look, bluetooth connectivity can be shit sometimes,” PGMOL statement next week probably.

The suggestion seems to be once the free kick had been taken nothing could be changed which frankly sounds silly.

Remember they blew for full time and then gave Man Utd a pen in the first season of VAR, they also marched all the players back on the pitch in Germany because someone encroached in the pen kick just before half time and thus the pen was retaken.

So you are not telling me that VAR looking at monitors didn’t twig that a free kick is given and not a kick off and thus should suddenly get in touch and go wait that goal was onside apologies.

If they really want to cover it up, suggest the ref stops the game and quickly heads to the monitor. Fans would be moaning but they had a sending off and it would look silly for a minute or two but it would be at least the right decision, no one would then fault them for that.

3 Likes

its all good lads…turns out it was all just a big misunderstanding…

oh how we laughed when we realised…silly bunnikins that we are…

1 Like

It would have been more believable if they had claimed that they flipped a coin.

I initially read that as bluemoon, which made just as much sense.

1 Like

I’m not one for haranguing the officials. But PGMOL needs to get mails demanding that Howard Webb step down. He’s not fit for purpose.

1 Like

Get rid of the whole set up…find something more precise…my grandson used to play Minecraft…and I read a report of this type of system being used to measure Everest to a precise height…surely this has to be better than this load of crap we have now…and it now beggars the question…PGMOL what are you going to do now…you are in the shit, your system is in the shit…lets see your report and how many cards you are going to rescind…just admit your mistakes…

1 Like

Eeer, no. It’s not. City are top of the league so their system is working just fine. For them.

2 Likes

Point taken…there only by the grace of Simon…

I’m hoping the Saudi’s purchase them all might be the only way to get rid of them.

One thing that hasn’t happened for a few years or what I have noticed is them getting sent down to the lower leagues for a game or so.

i heard the lower leagues put in a protest…

I have just heard the audio and for me, England has taken a bung from UAE, it took 25 seconds from the initial call to delay the game to them saying we can’t its’ restarted, England just didn’t want to listen or act on the 1st call to delay the restart

1 Like

Or he’s just so unfathomably stupid he shouldn’t be in his job?

1 Like

This controversy hits the Wall Street Journal. The one thing this article gets wrong is its declaration that American football’s replay officiating has been without controversy. It’s actually been full of controversy. It’s just more mature at this point. Enjoy.

England, not on duty at any Liverpool games…it should be all of em…fgs…it’s a team…they’re all produced the shit show…

2 Likes

Anthony Taylors been demoted to the Championship

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 Like

Is there a list anywhere of Prem refs/officials who’ve been demoted/suspended over the last few seasons? Also, how about a list of PGMOL apologies for incorrect decisions in that time?

I think that I preferred it when these officials were part time ‘amateurs’. They were much more

PROFESSIONAL

:nerd_face:

This is fascinating for two completley unrelated reasons

https://x.com/HACKETTREF/status/1721791143950594106?s=20

1. Hackett confirming stories of public figures toeing the company line under pressure from people who pay their salary

2. If you (and I apologize in advance for suggesting it) read the piece Hackett is referencing, it includes criticism of VAR for coming to the right decision on the issue of whether the ball was out but it still being referenced in a guttural complaint about VAR decisions. “it was still in so the right decision, but would anyone have complaint had they called it out?” WTF is that?

I think point 2 really sums up where we are with VAR. In so many ways it feels wrong when VAR overrules a big decision. Even evidence showing that it came to the right decision wont change that emotional feeling and I think that drives a lot of the reaction. I’m thinking of that late winner we had ruled out against Everton a few seasons back. There really was no arguing with it on reflection, yet the importance of the goal, how much it was deserved, how tight (and trivial) the offside was - that it felt unfair. I think that drives so much of the complaints.

2 Likes

I think the complaint regarding decisions like the Mane one against Everton (Son had a similar one against us that went our way) is that VAR is attempting to apply a pedantic definitive binary interpretation which ignores the spirit of the law.

In the case of Mane I lost count of the number of time I watched that ‘goal’ and I still can’t see that he was offside. But even if the technology can show that he was, it still doesn’t feel right, because there can only be millimetres in it - certainly nothing within the tolerance of a system that has a frame rate, needs a human to pause the video, draw a line etc.

Most people I think feel as I do. VAR is a potentially a good thing, and correcting egregious mistakes is to the betterment of football. But it was surely not brought in to rule out goals where the attacker is gaining no material advantage by his armpit being a fucking centimetre offside. That’s absurd. Especially as goals are the draw here. The reason we watch football is to see goals get scored. Why are we ruling them out for technical minutiae?

And it’s a really simple fix. Look at a reply, draw a quick reference line on the pitch if you need to. But if you are spending five minutes, pissing about with lines and zooming into someone’s big toe, then it’s functionally level. Give the goal and let’s crack on.

1 Like

Yeah, that is why the change they made 2-3 years ago to add more of a margin of error is undoubtedly better and a better reflection of both its limitations and the spirit (not calling an offside no one can perceive with their own eyes even after the lines are drawn). Yet even that is a cause of controversy (that’s fucking cheating that is. Utd got saved by one of those last season, but now they changed the rules and they punish us? How convenient!

Interestingly, the Semi Autonomous offsides that so many people are calling for would bring us back to that state by eliminating the margin of error we’re now working with. It will take us back to the toe nail style offsides.

I think I’d rather have that than what we have now which is basically subjective.

And I don’t trust the PGMOL to govern the game without VAR, it may not make a blind bit of difference to the outcome but we at least see how shockingly bad they are.

Let’s face it the Diaz goal a few weeks back highlighted how incompetent this lot are on and off the field. If we just had the on field decision we would be writing it off as just a mistake.

A lot of people calling for it to go are targeting the wrong things, yes some issues can be found on the continent but frankly from what I see and hear it doesn’t seem half as controversial and isn’t much in the European matches.

The issue is the PGMOL evidently.