OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

I’d say anyone who has reffed probably has less of a clue.

1 Like

This is not intended to eliminate marginal calls. The idea behind it is that it moves what scenarios the marginal calls are made in such that when they occur there is so much advantage being obtained that they are easier to accept. Theoretically at least.

One of the biggest issues with VAR has been that it is accentuated feelings of unfairness even in cases where the decision is correct (or justifiable). Offside with toe nail length gaps have been one of the biggest areas of this. Yet they’ve already largely addressed with the “increased tolerance” they brought in 2-3 years ago. This solution is one raised in that era and as bad as it was then seems completely ill suited to what the current problems with VAR are.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

2 Likes

I mean you can snark, but have you been awake for any part of the past 4 years? As much if not more of the complaints have been about visceral effect of how they make people feel not objective fact. There were a whole collection of pundits the other week paid money to argue that while each of the 3 incidents on the Joelinton goal against Arsenal were ok overall it all just felt wrong to award the goal.

This “solution” is straight out of the book of trying to make VAR feel fairer, not of doing anything to get the decisions right more often.

It wasn’t aimed at you Mate!

You literally put the gif under a quoted portion of his post….

I know, but it was confusion at the rules, not the lad quoting them! Never mind, move on.

https://x.com/martynziegler/status/1729174944590840208?s=20

I’m probably rare in which I think VAR should remain but probably should limit its intervention to offsides and maybe goal checks.

This idea is utterly bizarre.

I think it should remain, but it needs a serious overhaul as to how it is used.

Maybe they need to bring in a couple of Union, League and NFL refs to adise on what systems each of their sports have and which work/don’t work to give the pgmol some independant advice to help them (not that they would listen to said outside advisors)

Judging by the VAR handball decision last night then the handball law needs a rehash.

Either give every single handball as an offence or judge it purely on being deliberate. If it deflects off your body onto your arm then it isn’t deliberate. Defenders having to jump with hands behind their backs is ridiculous and limits their ability to defend.

No Rambler.

Deliberate falls into the category of “subjectivity”, this is what needs to be removed from the game thus whether a handball offence is worthy of being penalised should be entirely down to the position of the arm when the ball strikes.

Arms down by your side - No foul.
Arms outstretched/head height or above - Foul

Have you ever tried to jump without outstretched arms? You wouldn’t get very high.

Well you would but I mean it’d look a bit silly if a footballer did it because they use their arms for leverage as much as they do to keep your opponent at arms length.

In any case a lot of the handball decisions in the box is to block a cross/shot…not competing in the air to win a header so a lot of the times the defender will be in a standing position anyway. I have no sympathy for defenders who turn their backs leaving their arms out and are penalised for it…but it’s supposed to be harsh as he “didnt know anything about it”

Most unnatural position, is the arms by your side or behind you back when moving/changing direction

We managed it ok in the 70’s.

1 Like

Well they sure do look like headtheballs …

Most underrated dance ever…very rarely seen on Strictly I hear.

Not quite as easy going as Val Doonican for you?

Val Doonican… The only guy who didn’t get a personal number plate on his car :0)