OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

Notably, the official figures from the Prem say the opposite. For all the dissatisfaction among fans, the data they use is showing an improvement in outcomes reached with VAR compared to seasons passed. Of course, this doesnt factor in the magnitude of the decisions or the public relations mismanagement.

2 Likes

Meh, it’s only the SPL.

Who really cares.

No I’m kidding.

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

1 Like

Because they are making less of them.

I’ve noticed this.

1 Like

We are losing a lot more without looking at the real problem.

3 Likes

https://x.com/eurofootcom/status/1793292180452250078

Won’t change a thing with the PL officials:

“Is that daylight I see, John?”
“Not sure, Ron. Let me zoom in…… no, it’s not”
“You sure? I think I see a lit pixel, John. We have to get it spot on”
“Let me get a telescope, Ron”

10mins later offside is declared

3 Likes

I bet Darwin still manages to get himself offside…

All this means is that the low block will become standard tactics. I think it’s a horrible idea.

2 Likes

It doesnt change the technical implications, it just changes the emotional response from fans. “Gaining and advantage from being offside” is irrelevant in the law, but you see this being a big factor in how fans react negatively to tight ones being ruled out for offside. This will change that because any goal that is ruled out for offside will very clearly be something that produced an advantage.

It is still not without big issues though and the framing is funny because this is not something for Wenger to decide. The rule is already being trialed in youth competition and will continue to be over the next several years as is the case with any proposed rule change.

How do they judge the daylight at the night games…! :0)

No offsides. Free for all

2 Likes

Haaland would move even less than he does now, if that’s possible.

Goal hanger!!!

2 Likes

https://x.com/TheAnfieldBuzz/status/1793636619125461191

1 Like

And oddly, right at the top of the table for number of helpful VAR interventions. Combined this says that the refs officiating our games are doing a terrible job that they can be make enough bad decisions against us that we get the most beneficial VAR overturns while still having the most number of missed overturns.

1 Like

Probably ends counter attacking as an effective game plan.

After they screwed us big time at the beginning of the season, you can bet they treated us very carefully after that…

I hope this is a crock of shit

Surprised we didn’t join Wolves.

We fared worst in the league last year in terms of the most number of official VAR mistakes to go against us, but over the course of VAR have fared well in terms of number of beneficial overturns. Those stats together really validate the complaints we have about the level of officiating of our games, but also shows that getting rid of VAR isnt the path to remedying that.

6 Likes

They still don’t seem to be addressing the inconsistency. They will have one incident where VAR goes over it with a toothcomb looking for an incriminating looking frame (a bit like online wankers posting freeze frames claiming a war-crime in a fairly innocuous challenge) but they don’t intervene when there is quite clearly dangerous play that the referee has chosen to turn a blind eye to.

Why don’t they look at how other leagues use it, because I don’t see this nonsense in the Bundesliga in literally every bleeding game.

The relevant point in these incidents is the referee having seen it and chosen to not take action. The league leaning so heavily on the “high threshold for intervention” (which is a principle given by to the PGMOL by the league) is not intended to create consistency. Invariably there is an argument to made for the decision that was made so they feel chasing consistency among decisions is an impossible task. The intention instead is to mitigate the rare occasion where there is a bollock dropping clanger that cannot be defended.

I get it in theory, but in practice what we are seeing is the VAR backing the decision of the ref even when there is good reason to think they couldn’t possibly have seen the incident well enough to have an accurate judgement. You parse the language of the decision on the Doku challenge and what you see is them accepting the decision because it was a reasonable interpretation based on what the ref saw, something that doesn’t acknowledge that you have to come to a different decision if your view isnt blocked by the body of MacAlister.

The Kulusevski trip in the Arsenal game is another great example. If you read the explanations you will see this viewed as a foul, but one unlikely to be given by the ref because it is difficult to see the extent of the contact in real time. Isnt this exactly the sort of miss VAR was brought in to address…things they couldnt judge properly because of the speed with which it happened, or their angle to the play not giving them the best look? Yet we’re seeing VAR use the “high bar” to find ways to justify these decisions even when we know the far cannot have made the best decision from where they were.

2 Likes