OoooOoo /Shudder VAR Thread

VAR should be operated by an independent party that has absolutely no ties with PGMOL or individual club - Put a democratic number of three individuals coming to quick decisions - Ex-footballers maybe… ex-footballers that have no ties with the UK…

3 Likes

Overseas (potentially now retired) officials. Just an independent, non-judgmental extra set of eyes that can advise the ref.

It’s not to override them. It’s an extra tool that should make their job easier.

4 Likes

All must have eye tests before taking the job…

1 Like

Scottish referees are sponsored by Specsavers. Just saying.

1 Like

Also one is leader of the Scottish Conservatives.

Get the lad operating the system to do it. He was the one who actually spotted the situation on Diaz

1 Like

https://x.com/TrollFootball/status/1805896458421301411

3 Likes

Long overdue

https://x.com/PLMatchCentre/status/1823313448999989364

1 Like

Will this help match going supporters who, under the system until date, have been left waiting to find out what’s going on for minutes at a time? Cna’t get reception during games at most stadiums, so I assume not.

We’ve previously talked about the refs being mic’d up - I noticed that this happened when watching the highlights of the Olympics gold medal match - sounded a bit adolffy to be honest, when he awarded that last min pen to France.

Yeah, that and I doubt it will be updated in real time enough to make sense of a confusion for the in stadium fans. We’ll see though.

The whole mic’d up thing has been a massive let down because all it does is explain what whereas almost all of the debate is over the why

1 Like

I didn’t see much of it during the Olympics, as didn’t watch any of the footy.

You are right, that the debate is often over why, but the what helps massively to the fans also, which is not available (to match going fans). As per rugby, the refs calls are subjective at times, but they still explain it (the what), and most importantly, they get the respect from the players (most of the time)

They have trialed it in a couple of other tournaments. I think it was the women’s world cup last year where it got most attention. Even then it is only used in limited circumstances, I think only when a ref has been the monitor and overturned a decision. And then they just explain what decision has been given. For instance if they are cancelling a handball penalty they will just say it is no longer a handball, they wont explain why they changed their mind.

Time for us to re-learn the rules of football, and how they will be applied (probably wrongly) by the refs.

2 Likes

Or we could be like the UK refs and just make it up as we go.

1 Like

Inconsistent already.
West Ham penalty very dubious.
Ipswich keeper on Diaz brushed away without comment.

Fuck I hate what this game has become

1 Like

Weird outcome in the Everton game as well with the penalty overturned without the ref being able to see it at the monitor because of technical issues. It was the right decision but another example of them only sticking to the protocol when they want to.

1 Like