PC gaming thread

i have a rtx2060 and its outdated but runs fine. It is however desktop so not sure how that equates to gtx on laptop. Same release dates, dec 2021, so not that old. With the meteoric rise in AI the gpu’s have been exploding in power.

Sorry it’s rtx 2050.

GTX is the outdated version.

Is it worth it to take the 3050 rtx instead ?

The reviews for that seem to be middling.

Also are the AMD GPU’s at an equivalent price range better ?

The advice that was always given to me was to buy the best GPU you can afford, or want to afford.

1 Like

It’s more for my kid rather than for me.

He probably plays fortnite at the max.

1 Like

Finally decided on a laptop with amd rx 6500m.

A downgrade on the 3050 but I didn’t feel that was that good.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for child friendly PC games ?

Kid plays roblox & minecraft. Surely there are better games around than those ?

Football Manager?

1 Like

He’s 12. Not sure it’s intriguing enough for him right now. He watches football but I haven’t got around to explaining him the tactics

1 Like

Slime Rancher, Stray and any of the Lego games (depends what he’s more into, but there’s ones based on Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel etc) could be good places to start.

2 Likes

He mostly plays Roblox. Trying to get him to play somethings other than that stupid game. Nice shout out on the Lego games , I’ll try and see if he’s okay with those.

Simply despise the games that come out nowadays. There are good ones but Roblox is as stupid as they come.

Installing Fortnite for him to see if he likes it.

2 Likes

No, not Fortnite! :face_with_peeking_eye:

That’s like stopping supporting Chelsea to support City :joy:

4 Likes

My daughter (7) enjoyed Disney’s dreamlight valley, it was probably the first game she has been able to play mostly alone.

The few minutes i played it i (not 7 lol) found it really good fun too.

So if you are looking for a starter RPG that could be an option.

I was going to suggest it as both my daughters liked it, but wasn’t sure if it was more for girls than boys…

1 Like

The other alternative was what my niece suggested. Genshin Impact.

And that’s a glorified “gacha game”

2 Likes

I was playing legend of Zelda etc on snes/consoles at around his age. And all that are available for kids now are these ones.

Pfft

1 Like

I ain’t lying, it’s the best open-world RPG I’ve played since AC Valhalla. Yes I know many weren’t fans of the latter, but I poured far too much of my life into it and enjoyed it massively. I’m a big fan of the Kurosawa epics and it really scratched my Samurai itch. You can play it as an honourable Samurai or as a ninja-type and both work.

The visuals are busting but it obviusly helps if you have a decent rig to take advantage of them.

A huge plus for me: M & KB controls work great!

A big thumbs up then for this PC port. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too, but i think you can create a male character. And i cant really think off the top of my head of a comparable rpg to start with .

I would have thought a game like Fable - The lost Chapters would have been apt for kids. But that has some not appropriate moments as well.

Too bad though, that was a killer game which had the potential to become a great RPG series. Sadly killed off too early

I think the challenge is that it is a game synonymous with Nintendo. PC has largely catered to a different market.

Stardew valley or a new game coming out - go go town might be worth looking at?

My time at Portia.

2 Likes