Players - Bullets Dodged

I guess cos then we don’t get Konate? But, yeah, early days for all those players.

1 Like

Thats still an assumption though as well as it being an assumption that Botman may not have been just as big a success under Klopp as Konate is being.

To be fair that goes for most of the players mentioned here. Aside from the ones with off-field issues, there’s no way to quantify if a player who didn’t sign for us wouldn’t have done better than if they had.

Same for when players are sold and often seem to fall off a cliff ability wise.

4 Likes

With the benefit of hindsight, Ousmane Dembele? Reliable sources reported that Klopp went as far as meeting him, only for Dembele to thank him and inform him that he had already chosen Dortmund. Obviously, he was magnificent at Dortmund and played a key part in helping Liverpool win Champions League but his time at Barcelona was littered with injuries, so I guess that they would have caught up with him at Liverpool, too?

1 Like

Pulisic as well. Think jurgen understood that he can build better talents than dortmund in house

Which probably is the main reason i am still wary of bellingham somewhat… Bvb made it their biz to build players in the klopp mould.

And their results except haaland havent exactly delivered

1 Like

For me, the only players that I would be comfortable with putting on the list are those that have off-field issues that we don’t want any association with, like Greenwood (allegedly) and Mendy as examples, or who have really shit attitudes.

We can talk about players that go to other clubs and don’t perform to expectations, but it’s very very difficult to guage how they would do on our system instead.

Think back to the end of the Rodgers days and the start of the Klopp days. It was very difficult for a player to be considered a success then because the overall team was a mess.

Maybe a silly analogy but in 2015 or whatever we were 22 players not knowing how to swim, floating in a raging torrent of a river after heavy rain, at best just trying to tread water. A player coming to Liverpool in 2022 has 21 teammates that have taken a surf lifesaving course and are linking hands to help you across the river.

I can only guess it’s much easier coming to a club that’s looking for the final few pieces of the puzzle than one where everyone is just trying to find their own feet playing for a manager that hasn’t fully worked out his system.

2 Likes

I dont really think Anelka was a bullet dodged. He seemed as content at Liverpool as he was anywhere else, and I think he was a decent option.
Lee Bowyer, he was a decent player but would have been disruptive. Woodgate was linked at one stage but he was another whose promise outweighed his product.

2 Likes

We were one linked with Del Piero… a 37 year old Del Piero.

1 Like

Think the coaching at Barcelona is or rather was sub par. It’s not a given that a Dembele would have had the same injuries had he been playing for us. Barca have been guilty of having substandard coaching and that’s clear to be seen given how the likes of Coutinho / Dembele / Griezmann struggled

1 Like

but is that due to substandard coaching or managers bowing down to player power and constantly giving in to the whims of Messi Bousquets and the likes?

combination of both. Look at the coaches that Barcelona have had following Enrique.

That , along with Messi/Suarez being in their prime years made them complacent.

One of PTT’s finest.

1 Like

Thank fuck we didn’t sign Victor Moses to anything other than a loan. He was dreadful

Technically Roy was in charge at the time the Cole deal was finalized, but it wasn’t his signing. Cole has spoken about how much of a bad fit it was that the man who pursued him and shared a vision of how to use him in his deteriorated state was no longer there by the time he actually signed. But all the work on the deal was long done. Before he kicked a ball he found himself no working with a manager who had no use for the player Rafa convinced to sign for us.

1 Like

:rofl: Did more for us in fluffing that chance in the first leg than he’d likely have done here as our player.

1 Like

Whilst there’s some truth in pointing out players tend to do better when working with Klopp than others, he’s still not capable of making rubbish sparkle for too long. As much as he improved Moreno and Lovren, they still weren’t anywhere close to good enough to rely on. Minamino hasn’t settled in the way others have, Origi’s form fluctuates from one extreme to another.

Part of the reason we’re successful is Klopp’s coaching but the other part is picking the right players in the first place. Somebody like Jamal Lewis is just a bad player - he was bad for Norwich and he’s bad for Newcastle. He’s struggled for games in teams that were dreadful themselves. There’s absolutely zero chance he would be as good as Tsimikas is or even close, and this was pretty obvious if you’d seen them both play before Tsimikas has signed. One player was just far more capable than the other.

1 Like

Taki has definitely been improved - he has 9 goals this season. He just needs game time, and probably won’t as he’s unlucky enough to be in the most competitive frontline in Europe.

1 Like

He’s not a striker though, is he?

Not sure what to make of this Fekir guy…
The same ref from the Inter game as well

Shame it didn’t carry the Serie A tag line in one game which was “end conflict”

1 Like