Players - Bullets Dodged

We almost signed a player in 2012 who currently is suspended over the suspicion of alleged child sex abuse charges.

2 Likes

Two players from the Ukraine league.

Mkhitaryan a player Rogers wanted and cost in the region of 30M. Did OK under Klopp then flopped at United and Arsenal. Yevhen Konoplyanka who was labeled the next Shevchenko. Ended up at Sevilla for 40M, and hardly scored anything since.

4 Likes

Zielinski

“Bent signs” was the title post, was brilliant and mean at the same time. The post was something like this…

We nearly signed a player (think Russian or playing there) that ended up going to China for a ridiculous amount of money and wages. I forget the name.

And while we on the Bent subject, wasn’t there nearly a Bentley signing? Ended up going to Spurs I think.

1 Like
  1. Shane Long. Interest reported in the newspapers. Think a bid was rejected in the January window.

That summer, we picked up his teammate Sadio Mane instead.

1 Like

I was actually referring to this one:

images (1)

2 Likes

would have been a good transfer here , wasn’t a dodged bullet.

The incredible sulk Anelka
He’s been toxic everywhere he went including the national team.

Now a lot will disagree with me because of diouf ptsd. I’m taking that t*at diouf out of the equation

Anelka was like that fit girlfriend that turns bitch once engaged

Anelka played for us though.

2 Likes

Not worth the price that was quoted though

But you can’t take El Hadji Diouf out the equation, as we didn’t make Anelka’s loan permanent due to Diouf’s signing. Plus regardless of his aloof personality, Anelka did really well for Bolton straight after, while our team with the Diouf/Diao signings signalled the beginning of the end for Houllier.

In fact, El Hadji Diouf would probably be in the conversation for our worst signing ever. The bullet dodged would have been overturning the decision between Anelka and Diouf.

3 Likes

Anelka was a steady footballer and got goals both before joining Liverpool and after leaving Liverpool. I would have had him in the side. Yes, He did create a fuckload of problems at his clubs but I don’t recall him creating too many disciplinary issues during his (admittedly short) time at the club.

4 Likes

I think he would have been an asset here to be fair.

3 Likes

@Rooster is recalling correctly. The first TIA crash happened when we didn’t sign Dempsey and BR said no to Sturridge. We ended up with no one and we crashed TIA for couple of days, iirc. We also ended up losing lot of posts, threads. I lost half of my posts (500+).

6 Likes

Those were depressing days

only the forum or the entire site ?

1 Like

2 Likes

Sven Botman and Duje Ćaleta-Car would be in this category too.

Only the forum.

1 Like

Why?