Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 2/1/23 5.30pm)

The European Cup was for the Champions. The Champions League includes mainly those who are not champions. What could be simpler?

I still call it the European Cup. And no-one would ever have confused it for the UEFA cup. You’re talking out of your arse.

4 Likes

Carvalho, Elliott and Thiago makes 3. Then the loan for Melo makes 4 even if it isn’t a permanent signing.

Also,you are being selective with your dates just to make a point. In the summer window leading into our CL-winning season, we spent £95m on two midfielders (Fab and Keita). Dress that up how you like it but we have brought in 3 absolute top shelf midfielders - two for huge fees, one we got lucky on - plus a young support cast. It wasn’t neglect. There were certainly other areas that needed our attention much more and we plugged those holes (CB, FB, forward etc).

The main thing that pissed my off last night was the manner in which we conceded the goals. More than our chances missed.

I spoke pre-match about that 3-3 game last season, I mean, it was all set-piece, long ball and defending second balls. Go and watch highlights of that game and it’s basically the same type of shit.

We also had the lesson of the Leicester game, where they turned it more into a game which suited them.

Brentford turn into Stoke under Pulis against us and for the second year running at their place, we can’t seem to learn and deal with it.

1 Like

Well no maybe for not the fans who are so out of touch with the game to still call it that no but for a large proportion of the younger generation of fans then yes they would…I look at things not only through my own perspective.

The European Cup ceased to exist many decades ago.

Yep, it was the basic stuff that bugged me too yesterday. Seemed like in the first half almost every corner or cross into the box was immediate danger. Teams with far less talent than we had on the pitch yesterday do a much better job at that. We should be able to find solutions to that even with the inherent problems in the squad.

What has talent got to do with doing the basics right like getting yourself organised or being aware of the key threats?

Exaxctly.

1 Like

Jimmy Case and Phil Neil with the European Cup in '77

Henderson with the CHampions League in '19

I might be wrong, but they look pretty similar to me :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

They are of course …but the fact remains we had to be Champions first of all to win the 77 one. We were also rans to win the 2nd.

They need to rename it something like err … the European Super League.

So lets indulge you and say that that is true what happened, then when it comes to this January window, Klopp suddenly does not need a midfielder anymore and decided to buy a forward instead? Or did FSG force him to buy a forward again?

1 Like

If that was the case you never would have said that ‘no-one calls it that anymore’.

2 Likes

It’s the Royal no one.

In any case, last night was one of the worst. Clueless, shambles. Brentford won not even by some lucky punts, they actually were alot better than us and its not as if we were playing a 2nd rate first 11 and they were missing their top scorer. All credits to Brentford and Frank for putting together such a great side just 2 seasons into promotion, but its all down to us. We were just shambolic as a team.

1 Like

Says a lot…

I don’t know why we went in for another forward this window over pursuing a midfielder, I really don’t. Klopp will have his reasons, I’m sure Jota and Diaz both being long term absentees will have no doubt played a part.

Only other reason I can think is 40m or whatever we got Gakpo for in the end wasn’t anywhere near enough to attract the kind of midfielder Klopp wants, Jude Enzo Caicedo etc.

When talking to arsenal fans I call it both so the cunts get the message.

1 Like

Top picture, easy to see how this should play. Ball played into the massive space 3m to the NW of the ref, ball then played towards the corner of the penalty box with (Ox I think) running on passing to Nunez for the finish. Simple really. Scary that everybody else is at -273.14

Yeah, exactly.

A Liverpool side should be able to control these games more.

Leicester was already a bit of a wake up call, so then with the knowledge what are Brentford capable of (plus, they are getting good results lately), I was a bit disappointed we couldn’t deal with them yesterday.

I wasn’t shocked, but I still hoped we would be able to find solutions.

2 Likes

What does the current one have engraved on it?