Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 2/1/23 5.30pm)

English/Homegrown quota?

Signings which were largely funded by outgoings.

Mane Taki Neco Wilson Shaqiri Awoniyi Grujic Davies - 105m

Where are our midfielders? As Carra rightly pointed out last night 1 midfield signing in 4.5 years.

Well, that was a long honeymoon period. Seven years! :joy:

And now begins the true loving relationship. :+1:

1 Like

You canā€™t blame FSG for that.

Since winning the European Cup Liverpool have spent just shy of Ā£300m on 17 players (LFC history.net). Just one was a midfielder.

Now, you can believe what ever you like about FSG, but they are obvious not telling Klopp he canā€™t sign midfielders.

yes but hes a sky pundit for a reason.

theyd expect a bit of goss here and there, and id even speculate a club could use that conduit to its benefit.

in itself not evidence that Pep isnt the devil reincarnateā€¦but im not dismissing it out of hand as though hes some nobody hack.

1 Like

I mostly hold them to blame yes.

Klopp was crying out for a midfielder last week in summer window and all he was told he could get was some injury dud on loan.

Same as 2 years ago when we were desperate for CBā€™s and all he was given was some dud from the championship and a kid on loan (who turned out to do pretty well in the end)

Today I learnedā€¦

FSG are in charge of who we sign

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky

We went through this at the time. Klopp, god love him, was all over the shop in the summer.

He spent the whole window biting the head off anyone who suggested he might need a midfielder, then said he was wrong and we needed one with about a week to go, and then did his ā€˜take more risksā€™ thing with about two days left.

If Klopp had been consistently talking about midfield reinforcements all summer you might have a point. To raise it with a week left after a summer of lashing out at the question, suggests he might have been the issue and not FSG.

Klopp: Can I have a midfielder?

FSG: No.

Klopp: Can I have a striker?

FSG: Sure thing. Here is Ā£100m. Get whoever you like.

1 Like

No thatā€™s not how the convo goes.

Klopp would ask what heā€™s got to work with then maps out the positions that needed strengthening. Once it was clear at start of summer Sadio wanted out (And Origiā€™s contract was done) a striker was as much as a priority as a midfielder was. We got our man, a good 1 and he ended up costing our entire budget so it would seem.

So when it came to the last 7 days (still plenty of time btw) of the window and Klopp wanted Nunes, FSG said sorry Klopp no funds left so we ended up desperately looking for some dud that we could afford and thatā€™s what we ended up with.

Yes, obviously Iā€™m exaggerating for comic effect.

But the point remains that since winning the European Cup - thatā€™s seven windows including the one that is currently open - LFC have signed 17 players at a cost of Ā£300m. Only two of them were a midfielders (forgot Bajcetic in my first message).

Now, go ahead and blame FSG. Thatā€™s the dead easy thing to do. But it would be absolutely ridiculous to suggest this imbalance has anything to do with FSG. The have provided cash for both signings and contract renewals (which we always ignore).

For comparison, weā€™ve bought seven attackers in that time, and that is where the big money has gone.

We can all agree that is was a dreadful performance.
And still agree that the ref gave us fuck all?

We know the team is suffering from lack of form, lack of midfield nous, insert your own thoughts on what we are missingā€¦

Howeverā€¦
The whiney defence of cunts like Atwell, the laboured defence of VAR etc is nauseating as it serves only to drill down further on the manager and players. Some posters who less than a year ago were on the Klopp train as we chased four titles are now mouthing off about his loyalty to players, his lack of tactical nous.
The detailed explanation of how poorly we defend? For fuck sake do you really think its that simple?
The standard, experts in every fucking thingā€¦only commenting on the negatives in a team that went so close to history.
And if fairness meant anything, a team with three more titles stolen by petrochemical cash.

Buy midfielders, sack Pep, bench Virgil, sell Salahā€¦
All so fucking simple.

Now Naby is the new hero, derided weeks ago and will be again soonā€¦

Support?
Its ok to be critical, but get a grip on realitycwhilst doing so.

7 Likes

& thatā€™s where Klopp can take some of the blame, this imbalance of signings but you can only fill in for what youā€™ve lostā€¦weā€™ve lost far more attacking players since winning the CL (& for the love of god would you stop calling it the ā€œEuropean Cupā€) whilst keeping this midfield year after yearā€¦Gini is the only one weā€™ve lost in 5 years.

Were you 1 advocating the money we spent on Diaz Or Nunez was better left for a midfielder at the time?

Liverpool have won 6 European Cups.
Its the European Cup, calling it CL is ok, but essentially its the EC.
Football has been around a while, and names are changed without impact.

4 Likes

Some have gone way beyond that, done that many U-turns over the last 3 seasons theyā€™ve disappeared up their own arses.

3 Likes

Come on, no one says European cup in 2022/2023

European cup since about 50 years ago couldā€™ve meant the UEFA cup and now could mean the UECL

Plenty of us do. I routinely call it the European Cup.
I say CL at times to explain what I am talking about. That football existed before CL, PL, SKY etc.
If you seperate these things you talk about league titles and premier leagues or premierships. Whereas its the same thing.

Because language is deemed old school or out of sync reflects more on modernism than those using older terms.

1 Like

Itā€™s the European Cup.

2 Likes

I say European Cup and UEFA Cup.

1 Like

It was the European cup.