Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 2/1/23 5.30pm)

Right. Not remotely a foul.

I think something people miss in situations like this is contact is judged differently when a player has been deemed in possession of the ball compared to a situation like this where neither player was. If Ibou had taken possession earlier in the chase and was defending the ball, then that contact with his leg would have been a foul. It would have been viewed as being caused by a defending player unfairly impeding his ability to play the ball. He doesnt get that same protection of his space if heā€™s not deemed to be in possession of the ball, as it is space they are allowed to compete for. In that case, it is a case of Ibou putting his foot in a place where the other guy is allowed to be given what was by then his line on the ball. If you think this was a foul because of the trip, that largely negates it.

6 Likes

Wasnā€™t it Naby who lost the ball for brentford to score their 3rd goal?

1 Like

The point is some believe them and use it for arguing.

1 Like

WTF are you talking about?

He had positional advantage on the play and the only way Mbeumo gets past him was to get around, which was not happening, or trip himā€¦

You have to be making mental gymnastics to ignore the tripā€¦

1 Like

Lawro said Ibou slippedā€¦
Jurgen said it was a push in the backā€¦ He also said Brentford stretch the rules to maximum with physicality when attacking a corner in our boxā€¦ but cannot do the same tactics when they defend a corner in their own box because they would give a penalty away each timeā€¦!

1 Like

Didnā€™t see the game but how do you concede 3 against Brentford and only score 1?

Serious questions need asking sorry to say.

Ok, gotcha, but what does it have to do with what I said? Or were you just referring to Draex?

Regarding Konate for the 3rd goal he had enough time and space to deal with it there was little contact which would have been a penalty the other way round but he has to take the blame.

Yepā€¦weā€™ve all noticed that when weā€™re physical pens are given against usā€¦and all fouls go to the oppositionā€¦we never crowd the refs on decisions, coz if we did, the ref would be booking usā€¦

3 Likes

We stopped pressing. The best pressing teams in the league are the two lads at the top. They work harder simple. Our backline is fine, was shit today but itā€™s okay. Midfield is a mess. We need two centre mids who have legs. Elliott is miles off it. Not his fault he is a kid but a good season in the championship still isnā€™t enough for the jump for a top prem side. Maybe another loan needed or we scrap this midfielder project as he is too weak at the minute.

We are in trouble if we donā€™t get top 4. We need the investment but Iā€™m worried if we will get it at all with FSG sniffing for offers. Iā€™m not sure if this the end of Klopp with us and we need a full refresh and new faces but in the emotional and depressed state Iā€™m in at the minute I think so.

Gapko must start next game, Oxlade did well today but maybe even Gapko in for Nunez. We need more quality out there.

2 Likes

Because they were better than usā€¦pretty simple really. A lot of teams have been this season.

Jurgen said they held a meeting with the referees before the season began, and it was explained that the typical type of physicality that happened in our box today would be blown up as a foulā€¦ He also said he was at a loss as to why they donā€™t follow through with what they sayā€¦!
He not happy is Jurgen today

3 Likes

And that is the problem, the inconsistency and bias from some refs. I donā€™t mind that they are making mistakes but Attwell has a clear agenda.

Remember the goalkeeper who tried to take Diaz his head off ā€¦

1 Like

I have real issues with how we use Salah, esp in games like this.

I believe he has the skills set to be moved around a bit in more central areas to become effectively a #10, esp given the pace of Nunez.

I feel like we pigeon-hole him on that left flank too long.

Plus the idea of the triangle with Elliott is not workingā€¦

1 Like

He really said that?

Whether he did or not I suppose doesnā€™t matter, only question that needs to be asked with physicaltiy or over use of it isā€¦was it a foul.

Didnā€™t see anything myself when the ball went in off a confused Konate or when Wissa was allowed a free shot for their disallowed 1.

JĆ¼rgen replacing VVD at HT for a hamstring, doesnā€™t detract from the fact that he deserved to be hooked. Even if the injury (from the long foot race presumably) reduced his mobility.

Not really interested in hearing excuses when we cannot defend simple crosses to the back post and we canā€™t win the ball in midfield.

Some of the tactical decisions taken this season leave a lot to be desired. We look like weā€™re being coached by ideologues who refuse to see their grand plan isnā€™t working. Very strange.

If Thomas Frank could have chosen our set up for today he wouldnā€™t have changed a single thing.

7 Likes

Praps they tell him one thingā€¦then decide between themselves after these meetingsā€¦to do the complete oppositeā€¦making him out a moaner or a fibberā€¦more or less shiting on him from a great heightā€¦

1 Like

I didnā€™t see anything wrong either apart from poor defending.

The disallowed 2nd was poor. Taking it on his chest from a corner and getting a shot away. You donā€™t even see that in school boy football.

1 Like

Everyone who disagrees with that poster is automatically labelled a troll; you must be new here.

3 Likes