Post match: Brentford v Liverpool (EPL 25/9/21 5.30pm)

The signs were there after the Palace game. Looks like no one paid attention. Shocking from the back 5. Add a couple of missed sitters as per usual and you get the most frustating/irritating performance of the season. 2 points down the toilet because we couldn’t defend the back post. 3 fucking goals conceded in the same manner. Infuriating.

Wake the fuck up before City tears us a new one defending like that.

3 Likes

We were creating enough in fairness. If only we could finish some of those…

Match aside, why does every opening post from @cynicaloldgit in post match threads remind me of the terms and conditions page in whatever website you go? Does anyone ever read it?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

6 Likes

The only things I enjoyed about that game, were the 3 very good goals we scored.

How do you justify taking your best player on the day off?

3 Likes

Not sure about taking Jones off for Firmino when we were winning. No doubt it was a pre-planned sub but Milner or Ox had to the ones to come on.

Changing the shape made Jota play out wide and he offered absolutely no protection at all to the pretty rudimentary tactics. Not much Trent can do when he’s dealing with two additional players every single time.

Great game though. Well played Brentford.

12 Likes

we so miss game management gini

4 Likes

Curtis was immense. The rest immensely irritating. Brentford can hardly believe their luck.

3 Likes

Well played Brentford. Still, we should have won.

Of course, Mo should’ve put it out of sight to make it 2-4, but I’d point to the strange Bobby for Curtis sub. It left us even more exposed than it was before. Klopp would point to the Mo chance to say it was right, but I felt that (with the full backs and midfield still pushing on) we played into Brentford’s hands to encourage them get the scrappy goal.

Brentford did well at the “have a man offside”, but then get someone doing a well timed run to make everyone onside in the next phase.

Either get Milner on, or be a bit more conservative in the last 10 mins in the approach play, considering the direct bypass midfield balls Brentford were doing.

Matip, TAA and Fabinho AWOL. Missing a massive opportunity to kill the match. All in all a bad day at the office.

I can nit help but be dissappointed by that. How did Trent end up all alone on the back post against 4 attackers?
Fabhino needs to learn what the D stands for in DM but the whole defense was not in the game ever. :cry:

The subs were correct initially until brentford changed their shape. Gotta say Thomas Frank has out-witted Klopp today. I am not sure why Klopp didn’t make a sub to get Mane or Jota off to stabilise the midfield and defence?

2 Likes

If you’re neutral fan, this was spectacular game. Yes we dropped points, but I think Brentford earned it. We were too sloppy with defending their high ball into the box. All three of their goal were on TAA side, it’s like they were picking on him all game long. As a whole I don’t think we defended poorly, we had the game in control for most of the game. It’s those key moments we lack the cutting edge to mark and defend that cost us the Win. TAA wasn’t feeling it today, a lot of his passing was off and Robo wasn’t good either but slightly better.
The forward played well, Jota is always in the right spot to have a crack at it, he just needs to improve the conversion ratio. Mo is always there running behind the D-Line and Mane did alright.
I don’t mind Bobby playing the No.10 spot I think he’s a good link up for the forwards, it might be situational against certain opposition though.
Anyhow, it sucks to not win the game, but I can’t fault the effort of the boys, they gave it there all and we’ll go at it again in the champions league. I do have to say it was one hell of a game to watch though.

YNWA

Strange game normally seen at the beginning of the season before everyone is up to speed. Today every time they attacked us they looked like scoring, they had 4 attempts and scored three goals. I thought Trent was poor and had no one covering him, Andy not much better, every time Fabinho gets turned in midfield we are in trouble as he not got the pace to recover. Up front we continue to miss chances. I’m a bit worried with 2 important games in the next week but some times this is when we shine.

2 Likes

Don’t think anybody escapes that with much credit. Casual and lacking a ruthless edge all game. Jota and Salah both had sitters that they should have put away. I think Robbo and Mane were very lucky to survive the 90 there, was certain Milner would have came on and maybe Gomez or Konate to help with that constant overload they were getting on Trent.

Seems like there’s one away game a season against a promoted team that we decide to throw one in, hopefully that performance isn’t repeated again.

4 Likes

There are two ‘s’ in bellissimo.

2 Likes

They played like that was a cup final today. They can’t do that every week.

3 Likes

Think we needed some one like Milner around 80 minutes.

4 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever seen Robertson play as bad. He was awful defensively and offensively. 2 of the goals came from crosses his side. We looked a shambles when the ball was whipped in. Very disappointing performance.

1 Like

Exactly this.

Not helped with us wanting to be on the front foot despite being in the lead. A tad of nous would’ve seen us see out the game.

1 Like