Post Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (EPL 20/9/20 4.30pm)

Thiago, The Conductor

7 Likes

The most encouraging performance in several months. We were calm and clinical today. Fabinho had Werner in his pocket. Gives us another option at CB. In fact, I thought our midfield were much better all around than the first game. Clearly all trying to stake a claim with the signing of Thiago. He was great on the ball, although probably needs a few more games to adjust to the PL pace (as the penalty he gave away shows).

We just take Mane and Salah for granted at this point but shout out to Firmino. I thought he improved today, although could do with a goal.

6 Likes

Fabinho MOTM despite Mané’s brace and Ally’s debut as penalty killer. Very nice to watch on a laggy stream as not much really happened. Thiago looked at home but not quite match sharp yet.

6 Likes

A welcome, straightforward victory in possibly one of the toughest 3 or 4 fixtures we’re going to have in the entire league calendar this year.

Anyone else feel that our team looks totally stacked? Thiago looks like he’s been playing and training with us all preseason, and he’s had what, 2 or 3 sessions with our guys? It can certainly only get better, though he did concede the pen.

I’ve seen Fabinho deputise as CB before but wow, he never looked as assured as he did today. He was like a brick wall wherever he was, whether in the centre of defence or the high line in midfield. I have no idea what Joe and Matip are down with, but this makes me feel better about going through the season with only 3 recognized CB’s.

This game makes me feel all the more optimistic for the season. YNWA!

9 Likes

Kepa the MOM. Christensen wouldn’t have done that if he was confident in his keeper.

5 Likes

Hard to choose a MOTM from that game. Mané was superb, Wijnaldum’s work rate all game exceptional as always, VVD barely tested, Thiago oozing class in his half of football.

Fabinho just shades it for me though. Great performance on the front foot against Werner, basically did all the things he usually does well in midfield at CB. As I said in the other thread, Lovren used to try and play like that all the time and never got near to putting in a performance of that level against a dangerous opponent. Had some reservations of the idea of moving him back there but he’s gone some way to easing them tonight. Wouldn’t mind seeing him continue there against Lincoln on Thursday just to continue getting a feel for the position.

6 Likes

Half-time substitute Thiago completed more passes (75) than any Chelsea player managed in the entire match.

Since full passing data is available for the Premier League (2003-04), his 75 successful passes are the most by a player who played a maximum of 45 minutes

Awesome

15 Likes

Turned it into a practice match at 2-0. Thiago looks lke being everything we hope and we do not need another CB.Very polished performance.all round. Sadio motm

1 Like

Happy with the 3 points, but we should’ve put them to the sword after going 2-0 up. Nearly let them back into it with the penalty.
Thiago is going to be a very, very good player for us, he’s a class act. I’ll give MOM to Fabinho, he was excellent at the back.

3 Likes

We trolled them in the second almost sneering at how shit they were,i agreed with that behaviour but great win and positives all over the place,i heart Mane

17 Likes

[quote=“Hope.in.your.heart, post:19, topic:713, full:true”]
Good second half for us after that no-show in the first half. Chelsea hadn’t even a shadow of a chance with ten men. Our lads made the additional player count in full. [/quote]

You’ve been quite down on the first half, but I thought it was a really good display.

4 Likes

[quote=“Jimmyscase, post:23, topic:713, full:true”]
Fabinho MOTM despite Mané’s brace and Ally’s debut as penalty killer. Very nice to watch on a laggy stream as not much really happened. Thiago looked at home but not quite match sharp yet.[/quote]

100%. I love Sadio with all of my heart but Fab is my MOTM. Absolute colossus. Chelsea clearly wanted to get after him and he didn’t flinch one time. Fab was fucking massive.

6 Likes

We have started winning when it matters. Believe in this team!

4 Likes

Fabinho looks at home at centre back. In midfield he doesn’t track runners, at centre back he sees the runs before they are even made. Colossal performance. The amount of times he just dropped off when we lost the ball…so clever. Can’t say enough about how impressed I was.

Gutted to miss out on Werner, world class.

Mane plays a different game to everyone else. Does Thiago ever look when he passes? Alisson back to his best.

2 games, 6 points. One of the more difficult games out of the way. Jota to join in.

Things are looking pretty rosy to me.

21 Likes

Excellent performance, first half was very tactical but we clearly won that encounter. Chelsea fell for our trap of going deep a couple of minutes before half time and we were immediately able to get Mane into the gap they left coming forward - that was no mistake.

Second half of was brave to bring Thiago on but he immediately showed why we brought him in, I’ve never seen a debutant make so many passes in his first 5 minutes.

Obviously incredible by Mane.

Anyone who watches that game and still carries on with the “Frank Lampard is a good manager” narrative that is carried by some sections of the media need their heads checked. Fair enough he was in a difficult position but to just ignore Thiago coming on and not predict that an early onslaught was about to happen in that second half… I don’t understand what he’s watching. He literally has the job because he used to play for them - not because he’s good enough to have it.

10 Likes

Thiago, like adding a Lamborghini to a fleet of luxury vehicles…

6 Likes

Very pleased with this over all , with minor complaints.

That was a nice day out to Stamford bridge. Inexplicable how Millie managed to forget the picknick basket. This was supposed to be the welcome picknick for Thiago!

MOTM: Fab , Sadio , Allison. Honourable mention to Thiago (for first match/being brilliant ratio)

I don’t know if we’d have gotten anything out of this without Cristiansen and Kepa totally fucking up , but then again … they fucking did :rofl:

Otherwise we were a bit too elaborate at times for my liking , but it is entirely possible that we are seeing another slight transition of our MO under Klopp , given the mass and frequence of passing as soon Thiago got on.

Still I hoped for a bigger score … (Klopp out)

Speed(passing)metal 2020

5 Likes

werner’s pace looked threatening several times in the first half, and fabinho dealt with every one of them. he’s not a greyhound like virgil & gomez, but he’s hardly put a foot wrong when we’ve used him back there. just short of motm for me however

alisson is the best keeper itw but i didn’t think he could save a pen

silly to pretend we weren’t all watching him in the lisbon bubble event a few weeks ago, but who cares–thiago’s raw athleticism really caught my eye. challenged for a header near midfield shortly after coming on and it looked like a young allen iverson skying for a tip dunk lol

would’ve liked to see us batter kepa in the second half but it’s hard to argue with dominance like that

3 Likes

You can tell Lampard is Jose disciple a game against a big boy team and hes more concerned about stopping them playing than his side playing itself small team mentality.

5 Likes

In our team’s defense thrashing a ten men side wouldn’t have been a statement. Do that against Arsenal now please!

5 Likes