Post match: Fulham v's Liverpool (PL Matchday 01 06/08/2022 12:30 : 2-2

Too lethargic.

2 Likes

Mo staying out wide and stretching play should’ve been done straight from the second half. He was deadly in the last 20 minutes doing that.

I think Andy had a poor game by his standards. This is just the type of game when the ref allows physicaity that Andy would usually give as good as he gets. But he seemed to play wihtin himself. There wasn’t really any snide little nibbles on the opposing player.

For the pen, VVD shepherded Mitrovic to the side he wanted, and with Trent coming back, I was surprised that VVD then chose to step in giving the ref a decision to make.

Ali - 4 (Felt he could have done better for goal and distribution was De Gea-esque).

Trent - 4 (Weak for goal, lack of awareness, bullied at times by average players, his long balls easily intercepted).

Matip - 5 (Poor for pen but had a decent first half at times).

VVD - 4 (Light contact for pen but was poor from him, kept pumping balls to Mo who wasn’t winning anything in the air, really loopy balls).

Robbo - 5 (Should have got an assist but wasn’t a great shot/pass to Luiz who could have scored)

Fabinho - 4 (Felt he got walked though, lacked steel hence the Millie sub imo)

Hendo - 5.5 (Did well last 20 but felt he was very average)

Thiago - 5.5 (Linked up well, but overwhelmed at times in second half, then has an injury rate of Sturridge it seems)

Mo - 7 ( First half didn’t notice him, 8 out of 10 second half doing very well, but I was pissed off and still am so won’t be giving too much praise today)

Bobby - 3/4 (Couldn’t pass, bullied, swear Brazilians play on these tight spaces?)

Diaz - 4.5 (Good shot in first, didn’t notice him in 2nd so can’t score high) (Controversial from me but jury still out)

Harvey - 6.5 (Decent, tried his best, why was he getting booed).

Carvalho - 6 (Little quieter than Harvey but tough game to come on imo)

Nunez - 8 (Goal and assist, need to see him try the left foot more, but got us a point alongside Mo).

Millie - 7.5 (Was fearing the worst tbh, did well and created the first with a Thiago-esque ball, 37 playing like he’s 27).

Not sure if we made another sub. Not happy today though, slipped up.

5 Likes

Says it all…

24 Likes

The first goal was a deflected cross that Mitrovic had with two hands on Trent’s shoulder when he jumped.

In general we were lax clearing their chances and a lot of the defensive interventions felt rushed. Hope Naby is ready soon

I’ll never understand how Trent can get so much stick whilst Robertson goes by almost without comment.

Robbo got caught 2 or 3 times trying to dribble out of our box, fluffed an easy assist, gave a couple hospital passes, didn’t stop the cross. Horrendous performance from him today.

11 Likes

We need to adjust to refs allowing more physical contact this year. Aldo, so many poor passes / challenges all over the pitch.

Think if we’d had the friendly against Strasburg on Monday or Tuesday we would have able to play more first teamers so be in a better position for this match. We have another pointless friendly tomorrow where very few first teamers will play.

Robbo is in (should be!) danger of losing his position, not sure what’s up with him but he’s certainly not motoring along with 9/10 performances every week… More like the 5-7 range.

Trent despite some of his failings still plucks out world class moments.

2 Likes

key word here is “moments”

1 Like

That needs to be cancelled. Waste of time, u23s have their season and we don’t have enough subs to play.

1 Like

Trent and Robbo had poor games today. Virgil got suckered by Mitrovic to nip in and give him the chance to go down. Overall, play was too slow and predictable.
Then Darwin and Elliott came in and there was improvement in the final third. Milner came in to add steel and fight into our side.
We almost pulled it off. At least Darwin and Mo have opened their accounts.
Now if only Fulham plays this hard against all the other sides. Right.

3 Likes

This Ramsey lad better be like Kostas. Trent needs to improve defensively

7 Likes

Really bad performance, some terrible passing at the absolute worst time. The combination of us playing poorly, and Fulham playing well, means that we are lucky to not lose that game. Old Bobby was evident today, not old old Bobby, old Bobby from last year.

The entire midfield was terrible until Thiago AND Fab went off.

Robbo and Trent anonymous except when making stupid decisions.

Can’t blame forwards really, even though Bobby was bad, none of the front three got the ball for a significant amount of time.

Mo gets MOTM over Darwin, not Mo’s fault the midfield and wingbacks shat the bed. Darwin did make a significant difference, but he really didn’t have an idea on the goal or assist. Not that I care, that’s his job.

4 Likes

Torn.
On one side : Fulham fully deserved the point, they had us against the wall for long times and normally i am the first to give credit to the other team when they were better.
On the other side : our last half hour AND the thing that i learned during the last seasons which is that we lost 2:2 today

1 Like

Klopp plays a pure game. He expects high standards, and play in a fair way. So any setbacks he will look at what the team can do differently.

That’s what makes him so good.

But one thing we can and should do is adapt to the refeering style. In this game, Fulham did that and got their reward. We should’ve been more agressive at times.

And we should be pointing out some things to the ref. MItrovic was going down easy many times before the pen. If we kept pointing out these things more, then the ref may not have bought it when the stakes were high in the box.

1 Like

I wonder if that was Fulham v city or utd today would the first goal have stood and would the ref be so quick to give a soft penalty.
The game itself we were far from our best but still could have won it.

Errr! '… this first week … ’
Just missing Mané he’ll get over it.

I think we need to review a lot of stuff.

1. Roberto Firmino. Brilliant as a forward when the opposing DM is interested in tailing him. However, when the opposing DM doesn’t follows him, that’s a problem. He ends up in the crowded midfield and gives away the ball. Most teams are setting up deep against us except for a few. Should end up as a squad player going forward.

2. Henderson as a RCM. Was pretty uninspired today. The runs are ineffective. Couldn’t win any second balls in the first half, not helped by us giving the ball away. Has to transition into the No.6 position soon.

3. Thiago Alcantara. Sooner or later, we need to find a successor to him with him getting crocked quite frequently.

4. Darwin Nunez. We all had bad experiences with big-sized strikers. We had Andy Carroll, Christian Benteke, Ricky Lambert and Balotelli. They were either crocks, too slow, poor technique, poor work-rate or a combination of a few.

Darwin Nunez is a different sort of player. He is just 2 steps away from being a complete forward.

His balance is good, he is aerially good, has the burst of pace to get away from his marker and has the finishing technique of the previous Uruguayan we had. With him, opposing defenders will have their attention drawn away from Salah. I noticed that with Nunez, Salah has more space to drive into.

1. Andy Robertson. Was totally off today. Will need to re-condition him back to normal.

2. TAA. Has to be more aware of what is around him.

7.Style of play. Today was horrible. We wasn’t into the game until the subs came in. We need to see if our players are conditioned properly mentally and physically. Needs to be torn a new asshole by Klopp.

1 Like

not gonna whine too much this season… my Colorado avalanche jus won their first Stanley cup in 21 years, so im massively satiated…

been beating that drum for a while now but i always get torn a new one when i bring it up

2 Likes