Post Match: Ipswich v Liverpool (A) - 17.08.2024

A little late, apologies…but better late than never I suppose. Thank Worgan, seeing his post to think about the children triggered this post match thread :slight_smile:

Bung all your thoughts in here lads.

MOTM poll up too (hope I’ve done this right, it’s been a while).

• Alisson
  • Trent
  • Quansah
  • Virgil
  • Robbo
  • Gravenberch
  • Mac Allister
  • Szoboszlai
  • Salah
  • Jota
  • Diaz
  • Konate
  • Gakpo
  • Bradley
  • Kostas
0 voters
2 Likes

Very impressive display from the big man still adapting to a new role, keep it going Grav.

https://x.com/TheRedmenTV/status/1824822064341254300?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1824822064341254300|twgr^3682409c8bc694ed999f5a4d3df1e3c1f8b10bd4|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lfcreds.com%2Freds%2Findex.php%2Ftopic53566.207.html

5 Likes

Just thinking back to Rodgers at one point and his first game when we lost 3-0 away.

I do think opening results sort of set the direction sometimes.

Even Klopp’s first few showed a professionalism that we hadn’t seen.

4 Likes

Jurgen mentioned his shock and horror when the squad ran onto the pitch in his first game against Spurs for the warm-up - He said “they all had on, whatever tops, shorts, socks and whatever else they felt like wearing, of all differing shades and colours… . they looked like a team of Pirates” :joy:

7 Likes

Grav will face sterner tasks. But today he played exceptional.

2 Likes

If Slot is as good as he’s cracked up to be with young players then he’s going to turn Grav into a star.

Second half today was exceptional , apart from our awfulness again in front of goal when it really looks easier to score than do anything else.

3 Likes

I was somewhat distracted this morning watching the match, and it appears I didn’t appreciate what Gravenberch was doing. Might have to take a second look.

3 Likes

He was class.

Turns out he’s not some shit, lazy, Bayern reject, 3rd rate player that couldn’t even get in our u23 side after all.

1 Like

From what I saw in the second he was very good.

Certainly was the centre of a lot of our move starts.

2 Likes

IMG_2863

Don’t mean to get carried away but…

6 Likes

Stop that Szobo, you know this kind of stuff is prohibited under Slot ball rules. :joy:

https://x.com/LFC_ERYAN/status/1824860787107610826

3 Likes

Taken from one of the Echo match reports…

" At the 35th minute I went down for a pint - not because of what I was watching in front of me, it’s just a ritual for away games to beat the queues for an ale.

When we were congregated on the concourse the feeling among everybody was the same. One goal was always likely to bring two and that came to fruition when Diogo Jota scored the opener quickly followed by Mohamed Salah doubling Liverpool’s lead.

There was a feeling of relief, but also expectance.

Before the second goal Ipswich fans ironically sang, ‘1-0 and you still don’t sing’ and ‘We forgot that you were here’.

Seconds after Salah made them eat their words.

From then it was a walk in the park. There was a noise of shock over why there were eight minutes added on - because nobody expected that or wanted that. Instead, Reds fans wanted to get out and enjoy Slot’s first competitive win in the sun.

Despite that, supporters did wait to see what Slot did at the full-time whistle after being used to the Klopp first pump.

What Slot did was the opposite. The players came across and applauded the travelling fans, but the manager was straight down the tunnel.

Fans in the 3,000 away end were confused.

That’s no dig at Slot, but maybe what Liverpool supporters have to become used to.

Job done, onto the next one."

3 Likes

“I bailed on the team at 35 minutes to get a beer but its shocking that Slot didn’t personally thank me for my support”.

22 Likes

Just watched the game (away for this one, and the next two). Really good, professional away performance. I was dreading this, because you really don’t want to be away against a promoted side, especially with a new coach. Too much opportunity to become the narrative.

Ipswich we’re always going to be carried through the first half on adrenaline, and were always going to tire in the second. So we did the right thing and kept it tight, didn’t concede a silly goal, and waited until the second half to exert control.

Should have been five in the end as Ipswich coughed up chances. We’ll need to get more clinical, but will take 0-2 all day.

Gravenberch was exceptional. Played like a lad who wanted to make the position his own.

8 Likes

Get Trent’s and Salah’s contracts sorted now. This game showed how important they still are to us.

4 Likes

Great start, lack of a proper pre-season considered.

Newly promoted club away, definite banana skin.

Easy peasey, bosom squeazy.

4 Likes

Mac will score 5 goals this season, all rockets from the edge of the box, each one better than the last.

2 Likes

Gravenberch will have harder asks, but he certainly showed he has a bit of class about him, handled properly he might be one of the first on the team sheet.
Certainly a good second half, could have been a lot more but 2-0,no complaints at all.

3 Likes

We sucked until they subbed Ed Sheera off at halftime.

7 Likes

First half, Ipswich kept it tight and we were lethargic and seems clueless how to break them down. 2nd half was so effective and efficient, Ipswich had no answer to what we threw at them. For those who kept going for a DM, today Slot showed what his number 6 is supposed to do. If this midfield is already this good, we have Jones and Elliot who are no slouches and will give their bloody best whenever called on, Endo who will be reliable, Bajectic who can be the next superstar if he keeps patient and put of injuries and then who knows…Nyoni. Can we buy an upgrade? Of course, but as I said before, someone tell me that this squad’s midfield options are not good enough to win.