Post match: Leeds Utd v Liverpool (EPL 12/9/21 4.40pm)

Just finished watching the match straight through again for a 3rd time, with a critical eye.

Our boys controlled the match creating wonderful opportunities, however many of which went wasted. Missing those chances could have hurt us as Leeds had chances of their own that went missing. Had they converted one or two would have dramatically changed the complexion of the match. Luke Ayling in particular had a point blank chance that I still don’t know how he managed to put it over the bar from in so close. Point being, against better sides we have to do better. The positive in all of that is our boys are creating. The chances are there. Just need to be more clinical and ruthless.

No shade at all, but I don’t think Jota was very good. I’m not making sweeping critique, it just wasn’t one of his better showings. To that point, waiting until 82’ to sub him off was an odd one for me. Ox wasn’t much better subbing in for Jota, but IMO it also handicapped him bringing him in so late.

I wanted to post this yesterday, Klopp was really upset with Thiago late in the match for turning the ball over to Bamford who then created a chance. I’m not questioning Klopp at all, but IMO that was all on Henderson, not Thiago. I was confused by Klopp’s reaction.

3 Likes

I thought much the same when I watched it the first time, bleary eyed at 3am. More worrying than the plofligacy up top was the space behind and the fact that Leeds could easily have scored twice. A long way to go before we look like a title side, hopefully we will have our game much more together for the visit of Pep’s dopers.

2 Likes

Respectfully disagree with you there, mate.

In any game, your opponent will get a chance or two- that is the nature of football. But if we had taken our chances, we would have been out of sight; this has been a recurring theme for eighteen months now (going back at least as far as the Champions League defeat by Atletico Madrid) and is the single biggest problem we have.

What was that stat that was shown on Sunday? Trent alone has already created something like twenty goalscoring opportunities this season.

Going by the stats on the official Liverpool website, we have already had 100 shots on goal in four league games this season, yet we have only scored nine goals… and one of them was a penalty.

The number of chances we create, we should be comfortably winning every game we play; we simply need to be more clinical.

12 Likes

Was that the shot from the half way line? If so I agree, Henderson was stationery looking for the pass when less than 2 yards from Thiago. Should be taking a few steps back.

Having said that though Thiago should have known that the better pass was back to Matip. But that one was more on Henderson for me.

100% on Tiago for me. If there’s no pass on then you simply have to shield the ball better than he did. It’s not like it’s the first time it’s happened.

Man with ball not responsible for what he does with it wtf? :rofl: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think that’s over simplifying what happened. Thiago was under pressure and looking for a pass. Henderson stood in the same spot which didn’t help Thiago at all. Henderson moves a few yards back or to his right he becomes a better passing option and also creates space that Thiago could move into. By standing still he occupied the space Thiago could have used and also had a Leeds player on him which created more danger for Thiago.

As I said earlier, Thiago should have went back to Matip (I think it was Matip anyway) and kept possession.

If the man on the ball is solely responsible to what happens then there’d be no movement creating passing angles, manipulating and creating space by teammates and everyone would just dribble all the time.

You must love the old flying v formation from the 1800s.

1 Like

I think I remember it being Henderson wanting the ball played short to him so he could carry it out of that area, but I might be mistaken? The reaction of everyone involved does suggest that it was Thiago at fault though so…

1 Like

A heat of the moment reaction doesn’t really mean or prove anything, so…

Fucking hell… who the fuck cares

Simple mistake 40 yards from goal which ended in a relatively comfortable save from Alisson.

2 Likes

Each to their own though of course and we see and view things differently. If that happened to the team I coach I’d be more of the opinion that Henderson didn’t do enough to help Thiago but also that Thiago still took the wrong option when he could see the pass to Henderson was the wrong one.

Just a wtf moment but hey let’s blame some one other than the responsible. :wink: :rofl:

Dear Lord

2 Likes

There was probably an element of respect involved here.

Hendo thinking I’ll leave this to Thiago because he is a baller

Thiago thinking come on then skip take the ball.

No biggy, but next time I expect Hendo to clear the thing, putting Thiago up in the air if need be

5 Likes

I reckon next time won’t ever happen, Thiago won’t mess about (he actually lost control of the ball whilst making too many touches) he’ll just do like Gini would have and sent it back to Allison, VVD or Matip. It’s not like we needed to keep the ball there and over complicate things was it?
As you said no need for a debate just a momentary lapse that probably will never happen again.
Anyway the whole team played well, in fact they are all playing so well I struggle with MOTM these days I used to find it much easier. Just goes to show how well this squad has moved on.

Nit pickers anonymous brigade. :relaxed:

1 Like

Will be interesting to see what they decide. Red in my book

Τextbook red card for recklessness. Ιt should have been given even if Elliott had come out of it unscathed. Leaving your feet and jumping into a challenge with no control whatsoever is no different than making a two-footed studs up tackle.

The notion that it was innocuous espoused by some pundits just goes to show how much of a bellend said pundits are.

5 Likes

Heard a mention on espn that Fab and Thiago have started 9 games together in MF for 8 wins and 1 draw. Solid!

4 Likes