Post match: Liverpool v Bournemouth (EPL 19/8/23 3pm)

For a guy that still plays a bit you don’t seem to understand what a foul is?

Or maybe you were short on your quota of contrary opinions this week?

1 Like

https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/laws-of-the-game-2023-24?l=en

These laws govern football at every level. For officials and others to argue that interpretation is subjective is utter nonsense, as @Quicksand rightly states.

2 Likes

Penalty at 1:25 -
If Sozbo had been 3metres further inside the box - Doubt anyone would even dispute it - being in the corner of the penalty area, people might be thinking he had nowhere to go anyway

1 Like

This is a textbook case of needing the ask the question “have you actually read the evidence you are presenting to support your argument?”

1 Like

There’s never any doubt when Harry Kane wins a penalty.

2 Likes

Have you?
Your suggestion of grey areas indicates a lack of faith/understanding of the laws of the game. Those laws occasionally require subjectivity, but only in a minority of scenarios. The penalty on Saturday doesn’t require much debate. Its a foul in the area, therefore a penalty. There really is no stonewall vs soft debate, its a penalty.

Re the offside goal?
The attacker is in an offside position when the ball is played. Thats when the line is drawn?
Not sure what the defenders touch has to do with this to be fair?

1 Like

Spot on.

Also anywhere else on the pitch its a foul and that is the metric for me, just cos it is in the penalty area should have no factor in a referees decision, a foul is a foul

4 Likes

And I would bet if it happened to him and he didn’t get the decision he would be going ape shit, reward good skill, not bad defending

We on many times agree on many of your suppositions but in both these the referees decision was right.

The penalty, not only was there no contact on the ball, there was contact on the player and the leg contacting the player was causing a barrier (trips or attempts to trip, whether careless reckless or using excessive force)

With regards to Trent yes he was deliberately trying to play the ball but was at a stretch and therfore out of control and it was an attempt to try and prevent the ball going to the player who put the ball in the net

And if it went the other way it would be wrong and against the laws of the game.

That explains what do keepers know about footy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apart from into a space where no one else was and with loads of time

Isn’t it played in goal?

1 Like

You’re not available to come and play Tuesday afternoons in Ellesmere Port are you? :wink::nerd_face:

From The Laws of the Game.

Football is the greatest sport on earth. It is played on every continent, in every
country and at many different levels. The fact that the Laws of the Game are the
same for all football throughout the world, from the FIFA World Cup™ through
to a game between young children in a remote village, is a considerable
strength which must continue to be harnessed for the good of football
everywhere.

Antarctica? :thinking::wink::nerd_face:

1 Like

It just goes to show that my football knowledge can always be improved. :+1:

More importantly can Pingu play DM? :thinking::nerd_face:

He’s quicker than Fabinho.

1 Like

that does prove my first thought at the time - it was an incredibly stupid penalty first and foremost. Soft or embellished or whatever… the defender sweeps the leg as Szobo takes a clever touch in the farthest corner of the penalty box.

If it happened against us, I would be losing my mind at what the defender was thinking trying to tackle like that there… and he clearly missed the ball completely and made contact with Szobo’s foot… so at that point who can disagree that Szobo is entitled to go down, should go down and the most likely result is a penalty?

2 Likes

No risk of that VVD shirks physical contact!

Yes.

3 Likes