Post match: Liverpool v Brentford (EPL 6/5/23 5.30pm)

I’m absolutely sure that POS did.

2 Likes

They must all have been clairvoyant back in the day, as we’ve been on the wrong end of refereeing decisions for over thirty years now.

3 Likes

Don’t usually criticise the officials but Taylor was so one sided tonight that I am beginning to think the conspiracy theories may have some credibility. We missed three very easy chances that would have made the game much more comfortable. A good three points against a tricky team to play against.

8 Likes

I think that was the worst referee performance I’ve seen.

Gakpo needed to be fouled twice yet any slight nudge and Brentford had a free kick.

Anyhow got the goal and got the win.

14 Likes

My issue with the refereeing wasn’t even so much that it was biased (although he definitely blew more against us), but that he was calling everything. Completely killed the rhythm of the game.

2 Likes

The media won’t mention Taylor at all. There was no big contentious decision; rather an open bias toward favouring Brentford throughout the match. Soft touch, instant free kick to Brentford. Yellow for Ali with no warning, and despite taking shorter time than any of Brentford’s long throws.

The list goes on. Taylor was throbbing for Klopp to have an outburst in order to show him red. At one point, it nearly worked for Taylor. Klopp started midway through the half to argue with the 4th official after Taylor penalising us for contact that Brentford would get away with.

Klopp probably realised and walked back.

11 Likes

Love our Egyptian King. Great interview. Hope he finishes his career with us :crown::heart:

7 Likes

Quite I feel that was the idea.

Speaking of Klopp why did he have a name tag on?

1 Like

You must have been watching a different game, if the ref had not gave them 19 free kicks mostly for nothing they would have hardly had any chances, They did manage one attempt on target though.

10 Likes

We are NOT a fouling team, we never have been. Not even under Hodgson when our quality was at an all-time low.

So make what you will of being whistled 19 times to Brentford’s 10

Anyway…screw you Taylor! Upwards we move!

8 Likes

We played ok. Deserved to win. 6 in a row!

8 Likes

I couldn’t watch the match as I’m working but statistically at least that was a comfortable win.

2 Likes

6 wins on the bounce is much better. I love the uptick in form and determination at the end of the season, after having such a bad time of it for so long. We will probably run out of games before overhauling Man Utd, but you never know. Just keep winning and see what happens.

As for the game itself, Brentford were physical and roughing us up as much as possible, but as soon as they felt any contact, they went to ground. Their strategy was to win set pieces, and Taylor helped them to execute on their strategy by blowing his whistle all day long.

It was ugly, but in its own way very satisfying. We stood strong, withstood a lot of dark arts, and also overcame an inept referee.

Up the reds!

5 Likes

Shay Given thinking our goal should’ve been chalked off for VVD pushing Toney, despite Toney embellishing the push by flinging himself to the ground to try to buy the foul.

1 Like

If it was a foul Taylor wouldn’t have missed it.

2 Likes

Of course, we weren’t getting battered but it comes at a cost during this crucial period. The inability to keep possession, play it simple and beat their press will only exhaust our players even more than it is. The last thing we want is another midfielder getting an injury due to wear & tear.

It made me laugh when the commentator said that Toney had gone through the wars today. The guy just looks for trouble at every possible opportunity.

4 Likes

So they know where to send the fine? :joy:

1 Like

We should upgrade the midfield!

Even if we ignore the set-pieces, our open-play after 30 minutes was not very controlling. We couldn’t keep the ball on the deck, we couldn’t increase the pace of the passing to beat their press and had to go long with the sort of players we have after Nunez and Jota going off is a tough ask on our forwards.