Post match: Liverpool v Brentford (EPL 6/5/23 5.30pm)

I’m not sure if the upgrades in the summer will be enough to make sure that we can either play 433 or 4321.

Also that offside how long did they have to look at a still image that wasn’t at the correct angle to still agree with the linesman.

4 Likes

A good defensive performance, especially from set pieces. Not a classic to watch but got another important win. Likely this run has been put together too late but would be great to go into next season with 9 wins in a row.

Toney really should have his sights set on a move to a bigger club soon.

1 Like

3rd game in 6 days, we’re going to limp to the end of the season on fumes… Good win considering the PMGOL decided to make a point about their own shiteness, cunts.

2 Likes

I know this was a scrappy and unconvincing performance, but I will take the 3 points thank you very much. Also, The ref is an absolute tosser who did his best to make sure we lose points!

3 Likes

Spurs would be perfect for him. They’ll need another diver to replace Kane when he leaves this summer.

7 Likes

He won’t get a move till hes served his betting ban.

1 Like

To be honest @Maria I was fearing the worst from the ref I predicted after the national anthem was booed that we would get 2 red cards and a penalty for Brentford but Tosser Taylor have it a good go we got 19 fouls most of them were fictitious anyway we won despite that UTFR

6 Likes

If nothing else it gives us a positive run to end the season rather than limping through to the end. Can’t see United dropping enough points for us to get CL but stranger things have happened.

Just be glad to get it done now, some fresh faces through the door and some time to work on a proper plan for next season.

I imagine the game will fade into the background and the booing will be the topic of focus. Glad that tripe was drowned out and can already see it boiling the piss of all the right people online.

6 Likes

Another 3 points in the bag. Not the best performance, but result was the most important. From now on we will have a lot of time between matches to rest and prepare properly.

Fabinho MoM in my opinion, worked hard, won many battles, great pass for our goal and his early booking was farcial.

Defence was pretty solid for most of the match, this time Alisson was not our saviour. Virgil with another solid display. Konate was decent, but still think that this season he has slightly regressed /last season he was much better, like most of his teammates of course :)/

Salah with another winner. Nunez was disappointing once again, he needs to work on his finishing. I understand that he relies on his instincts, but his problem is that 90% of his displays are based only on instincts. Needs to improve his play intelligence, finishing and judging by Klopp’s comments his English.

Jones was solid and if he stays fit for a longer period, he could be a very, very good option for us. His pressing is on another level, really smart and hard working /he definitely improved in that aspect./.

Jota and Gakpo were decent, while TAA was very good. His pass for Darwin was top class and the way he dictates play from midfield is exceptional.

And finally - Anthony Fuckin Taylor gave Brentford everything he could. I don’t blame referees when we don’t look good, but today he was appaling. Non existent booking for Fabinho, booking for Virgil’s first foul. Very cheap bookings for Konate and Alisson. And at the same time every small contact with Brentford’s players was a foul for them. He gave them chance after chance with those cheap fouls, knowing perfectly well that their set pieces are their best chances to score against us.

2 Likes

The minds of some of the Utd players will be turning towards the FA Cup final… dodging tackles etc :0)

Yep they tried everything

I expect them to send Coote against Leicester.

1 Like

Conspiracy theories are normally considered fanciful ideas.
What a few of us have been saying for years is not fanciful.
Its the obvious truth.
Bias exists, and very evident today

Thing is, we pose a minor threat again.
So we are fucked over.

6 Likes

That’s why these refs have no business being in football, they have no understanding of the game…I’m sure it says somewhere in the “laws of the game” time wasting doesn’t apply to sides who are chasing a game…NOT, it’s like common sense drifts from their minds soon as they put on that black kit.

1 Like

Posted at 20:1320:13
‘Salah is a machine’
FT: Liverpool 1-0 Brentford

Liverpool

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “Brentford have all our respect and the boys showed that today. The best defensive set-piece session I ever saw, the best set-piece team in the league, the most creative, with a whole week to prepare.

“We had too much of these moments but that’s how it is. They go for it. From a focus point of view it was sensational. From a football point of view, we had good moments in the first half and at the start of the second. I really liked how we stayed concentrated, the boys wanted this result and I’m really happy.”

On Alisson reaching 100 clean sheets: “I gave him a shirt, we had a shirt prepared for him and I said this is for 100 lifesaving saves this season. His performances speak for themselves. If you know him, he is a better person than a goalie and that is already difficult. I cant wait to see the next 100.”

On Mo Salah: “This is not our season so far, so for an offensive player to use the few chances you have is really tricky. He is a machine and today it was so important how he defended. He grew here as a player and a personality. Long may it continue.”

On finishing in the top four: “Six games ago nobody would have thought we would be here. We cannot do more than win football games. If Manchester United play their games in the way they want they will be seven points away and that will be really difficult to catch.

“We have to make sure we finish we finish the situation in the best possible way.”

Article Reactions
Like8 likes8Dislike2 dislikes2
Article share tools

ShareView more share options
Copy this link

Read more about these links.

Posted at 20:1120:11
‘Salah is an all-time great’

Liverpool

Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "Six wins is very special. This game today was very special. It was the best defensive set piece session I ever saw because there were so many. First half, we created a lot of good chances and played really well. I don’t think [Brentford] had a lot of chances to be honest.

"They are the best set piece team in European football. Against Nottingham Forest, every set piece led to chaos in our box. Today it was a massive improvement. We needed it. 1-0 is a great result, a clean sheet and three points, everything is good.

"Brentford had a week to train. We had only three days to recover. We all know how good they are. They break the play up with their set pieces - it is all legal but you have to adapt to it. I loved the focus and concentration; the game was open, we could have controlled it more by scoring more but against the best set piece team I have ever played against, it was outstanding.

“If everybody needs proof that Mohamed Salah is special, I don’t know. That is not the case for anybody at Liverpool. He is one of the all time greats. Now he is just a world class player with a desire to score goals. He works hard to close players down. We all know that some world class players don’t have to do that or don’t do it, but he has to and he is. I’m really proud of him.”

Article Reactions
Like15 likes15Dislike4 dislikes4
Article share tools

ShareView more share options
Copy this link

Read more about these links.

Posted at 20:0520:05
‘I saw a lot of positive things’

Liverpool

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp speaking to Sky Sports: “ That game today was the best defensive set-piece session I ever saw in my life against the best set-piece team I have ever playerd, most creative. We dint concede a real chance with 50, 60 set-pieces – that’s how it felt at least. It was because the boys were really focussed. Could we have controlled the game better in places? Yes, but it was really tricky because they break the rhythm.

“I saw a lot of positive things. From a focussed point of view it was really good because we stayed in these moments, really concentrated and front-footed. The boys did really well today so I am really happy.”

On Trent Alexander-Arnold’s new position and whether he will stay there next season: “It depends on the players we bring in. It suits him extremely well. The chance he set up for Darwin [Nunez] wasvery special ball. He is defensively very strong, he still has to adapt to the formation because I think he struggled a bit in the last game. It is not him, he cannot be everywhere. Trent played pretty much all minutes in this really intense period. It’s outstanding what he is doing.”

On Mohamed Salah: “I cant see him stopping, that’s just his nature. You need to have this desire to score goals. People often forget how many goals he also sets up. He is very often involved.

“When he sits in a studio in a few years as a pundit, everybody will know how good he was when we were all watching him. A lot of people don’t appreciate players when they are still playing. For us, it’s clear. He is an all-time great.”

On Champions League spot: “If Manchester United win their games in hand, then they are seven points away and it is pretty much done. We know that. Brighton, if they win all their games in hand which is absolutely possible they are above us. It’s an interesting period. We have to make sure we keep the teams behind us, behind us because they are coming. Nothing is decided and that’s good.

2 Likes

Such a good article I read it three times.

9 Likes

Three different interviews… Three different takes on what his point is…
Like with Shankly, he has a very fascinating way of making his statements :0)

1 Like

20:19

‘We must have done something right’

Brentford

Brentford boss Thomas Frank speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “A very good performance. The second half, we made sure Alisson got a yellow card for timewasting which means we must have done something right at Anfield. We caused Liverpool quite a few problems and of course when you perform like that I am disappointed we didn’t get anything out of it.

“First-half we were good, we limited to them the goal and the chance. We could have done better in the goal situation. Then we had the disallowed goal which could have changed things.

“Second half we created a lot of trouble and frustration for Liverpool. The only little thing is the last quality on the final pass or cross. That could have been the cutting edge. But mentality wise, coming here, pressing high, being brave, going after them – we did that very well.”

Deluded Frank… Taylor was itching to wave the card around all game

6 Likes

So I was complaining during the match that we had lost control and that we were playing on Brentford’s terms.

That’s completely true.

However, we did a really good job of defending in the box. Despite their tactics, they never got a sniff around goal. So good for the boys.

We’re going to qualify for the CL!

1 Like

I’m struggling with the shot them had on target. Wasn’t that one Alisson caught was it.

Defended the box really well.

3 Likes