Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 20/10/24 4.30pm)

Never wanted to not watch ‚highlights’ of our match more than tonight.

4 Likes

Reminder:

“I’ve chosen Arsenal,” Neville declared. Like I did the year before. They seem to be coming closer every time, so this might be the year. Second are Manchester City, third are—though I say that with a laugh—Manchester United, and fourth are Tottenham. Manchester United’s previous season was a complete disaster after a strong one the year before. I really believe they will get much better.

17 Likes

Chelsea set up well with a game plan. They pressed us and made it difficult to build out form the back, and so controlled possession in the first half.

The lead to the penalty, we could’ve had a couple in the space of a few seconds. Salah dispatched it with no fuss.

Jackson with a a good bending run to make a quick reply after the break, with Konate’s foot making him onside. But Curtis made the forward run to get what turned out to be the winner.

Was a team performance. Darwin and Mo both tracking back to help out the defence, and Gakpo was doing his job supporting Robertson.

As for the ref, a typical Anfield performance. Summed up best by the 96th minute foul against Darwin for a good 50-50 which aloowed CHelsea on last chance going forward.

7 Likes

Not a pretty watch but it didn’t have to be, showing another side to us to grind out the wins which is pleasing.

The back 4 and Kelleher were all fantastic. As were Jones and Salah.

2 Likes

Curtis Jones MotM. Who’s the Daddy!

Very happy with the result. Worried about Jota. On to Leipzig.

6 Likes

Get such pleasure beating Chels. Horrible club, horrible fans, horrible players.

Thought we were a bit sloppy on the ball at times - too many of the Hollywood passes we saw during the latter Klopp era - but I like how hard we worked from front to back.

Good team performance. Think that one was won in the midfield in particular. Curtis and Grav both superb.

7 Likes

The thing is, we had to do this all last season. It eventaully caught up with us in the final 8 games or so. Should;ve been way ahead last season at that point.

1 Like

Bring on the entree and main course.

That match was more an unpleasant amuse-bouche.

Sautéed goat scrotum with whale spunk foam.

3 Likes

we seemed a bit lethargic, so it’s nice to have won the game. Ref was brutal, they really set a very, very low standard of being useless

3 Likes

Me too. Jota doesn’t seem to do minor injuries. Most likely bruised ribs but they can hurt for a fucking long time.

2 Likes

An interesting approach to game management by Slot. Ceded possession but controlled the key defensive zones, with improved defensive transition in the 2HF to nullify Madueke and Sancho…Kelleher had very few shots on goal to save…

Could’ve been sharper in the attacking transitions; Jones should’ve scored on the disallowed PK.

And a different wrinkle to the Gravenberch role today. Deeper and more defensive.

On Szobo, was good in the NP phase, but as I’ve said to a mate of mine, I expect Curtis to push him for that role, much like Gakpo and Luis…

4 Likes

ooh … get you. :grinning:

2 Likes

im off to meet up with @cynicaloldgit at his metal concert… Metal Finland GIF by Ensiferum|100%x100%

4 Likes

Its not lethargy its how Slot wants to play i would think people would understand this more now.

4 Likes

I’ll take Oxygen Thieves Stealing a Living for £1,200, thanks Alex.

9 Likes

How we struggled against their press, one can see the reason for still having interest in zubimendi

5 Likes

Shut up Micah Clown

4 Likes

credit to jones, he showed out today

3 Likes

This is the correct response.

1 Like

He is a good a pundit as he is a manager

6 Likes