Post match: Liverpool v Chelsea (EPL 21/1/23 12.30pm)

Gonna be a very long, very hard, very painful season Redsi.

4 Likes

The moment Naby Keita went off, we lost all chances at winning the game.

2 Likes

Six points for a win just for us.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s a statement none of us thought we would ever hear

Our confidence is at depths Iā€™ve never seen under Klopp, so undecisive with everything, so rushed.

Bjatecic and Nunez the only glimmers of light in a very turgid and dull affair.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure why we keep chipping the ball into tight spaces.

2 Likes

For a cobbled-together midfield, I didnā€™t think it did too badly in the first half. Everyone gives Elliott stick, but heā€™s not going to look good without someone strong in the middle. It isnā€™t like heā€™s doing nothing. He put in a shift of effort at least.

3 Likes

As tepid that was, it was still an improvement on what weā€™ve been seeing, so some progress I guess.

Severe lack of quality all around the pitch but better application. Itā€™s going to be a long way back to our best.

4 Likes

First half was disappointing. The start of the second half was more like it. Clean sheet is a positive. Milner did excellently, but should not be starting twice in a week.

The referee of course didnā€™t make any serious wrong decisions; however, the crap officiating just continues. Chelsea to stem the second half turn around obviously went to slow the game down by time wasting.

Oliver just pointed to watch, whereas flashing a yellow card would be better. Time added on just suits Chelsea with their fast physical players at the end. In Man City games I watch, the ref canā€™t wait to show a card if the opposition dare to do what Chelsea did.

Again, Oliver not carding Gallagher for several fouls and flashing the card for us. All these things just frustrate (Iā€™m not saying the ref was to blame, we were crap, just making observations). Several wrong corner/throw in decisions as well, some right in front of the officialā€™s noses.

Gakpo still early days of course, but @Dutch 's evaluation seems to be bearing out at the moment. Need our other forwards to come back, so Gakpo can be worked on in the training pitch. Needs some spark in him. Curtis gets fouled and makes it obvious the ref got it wrong. Gakpo sees the ball go out for a corner, and meekly accepts the goal kick.

3 Likes

Because we donā€™t have the level of quality to pass and move through the lines & looking for a pass from very deep to find a willing runner like Nunez is an easy option. No risk takers in this team.

2 Likes

Well just pass it on the floor then.

The chips are not forward most of the time they are sideways.

Konate made probably the best attacking run all game which is rather depressing.

Iā€™m not going be disheartened with this, I think many expected them to be worse than they are, never saw this as easy and so it played out, disappointed by the lack of chances but we did stop a lot of the issues weā€™ve had at the back with balls over the top.

3 Likes

Beginning to think that Konate might not be all that heā€™s cracked up to be. Too many misplaced clearances and positioning not what what it could be.

Overall, a pretty disappointing performance.

Wasnā€™t too impressed by the subs bar Nunez to win the game. But I felt the three lads in the midfielder were tiring rapidly and a Chelsea goal was coming. Nunez needs to start now heā€™s back. Causes havoc.

Tad worried with Cody. Early days but hasnā€™t had a game above a 5/10 yet. Stefan was decent, especially when he had an early yellow. Millie was solid. In summary backline solid, so was the midfield. But yet again attack poor. Mo is on shocking form. Maybe needs to be dropped.

1 Like

I gave him a vote from man of the match.

1 Like

Againā€¦you need progressive movement to pass to a team mateā€¦if everyoneā€™ stood static, itā€™s no good. So we look to find the only willing runner in the team which is Nunezā€¦on the odd occasion Salah which are usually in the form of chipped or long balls.

2 Likes

Precisely

3 Likes

Well on reflection at least it was better than Brighton and Brentford, we didnā€™t conceed and didnā€™t give up that many easy chances.

Rubbish!

Problem is we needed to make changes in the CM itā€™s just what are the particular options going forward.

That CM was fine and as I said I thought the defence was fine until he dropped Elliott into CM (not his fault but he is better to be an outlet forward.

Forward line is a major issue and there seems no return of Jota or Firmino anytime soon which would freshen it up a bit.

Salah was woeful bar that link up with Robertson

2 Likes

Maybe the plan was to keep it at 0-0, bringing him and Gakpo off and bringing on Hendo and Jones.